autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Wheel Coating

This is the third time I've used this product and will say my experience has been the same since the first application...easy, straight forward and offers great protection and some good looking results as well!

Had a customer drop off a new to him set of wheels for his BMW 5 series. (I will be doing a complete paint correction of the car at the end of the month).

He is going to replace his factory 'nightmare to clean or coat' 11+ spoke wheels with these very nice looks M series wheels.

They came to me in good shape and relatively clean. The wheels have been previously repaired as I could see some areas that had been repaired and the finish 'blended'. I wanted to be as gentle as possible with them due to the unknown factory involved with what was done and used during the repairs.

Process: Wolfgang autobathe, microfiber chenille mitt, Adam's green wheel cleaner. Daytona speedmaster brushes, misc brushes, Tarminator on some built up tar spots. Clayed and used Dodo born slippery as lube.
    Applied the Pinnacle Black Label Surface Cleansing Polish by hand. Wiped with an edgeless microfiber.

Applied the wheel coating with the supplied foam applicators.

From my past experience, the coating(s) in my environmental conditions (90+degrees F and 80%+ humidity) tends to make them flash VERY quickly.

I started with the interior barrels and coated and knocked down any high spots. Then I flipped the wheels over and coated the faces/spokes/etc.

Even with the quick flash time, the high spots wiped off/down very easily.

The wheels darkened ever so slightly after application and took on a very nice shine/candy look. The very small metal flakes in the paint popped nicely after application.

I will be doing the 2nd application tomorrow and will let them cure. Again, from previous experience, I expect them to take on an even more shiny/candy look to them after they have cured 100%.

Thanks for looking and stay tuned for the write-up on paint correction on the vehicle...and pics of these wheels installed!

PICS:

Before:

After:

Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Wheel Coating

Gotta love wheel coatings! Makes cleaning up BMW rims a breeze. Thanks for sharing Sizzle.

Post Thanks / Like

AGREE! I have had much luck with the DP WHEEL COAT. Went thru a PA winter and in spring they still looked new. Not to mention not buying wheel cleaner. Soap & water cleans them right up.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

Good review. I like it as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice work Scott. I really like this product as well. Makes leaning up the wheels very easy.

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone compared Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Wheel Coating with McKee's 37 Wheel Coating?
    Big difference in price for the same size bottle, but people seem to swear by the PB product. Its for my DD and I would use them on my stock rims from April until November each year (winter treds on steel rims for snow/slush/salt)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by brad911 View Post
    Has anyone compared Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Wheel Coating with McKee's 37 Wheel Coating?
    Big difference in price for the same size bottle, but people seem to swear by the PB product. Its for my DD and I would use them on my stock rims from April until November each year (winter treds on steel rims for snow/slush/salt)
    They are more or less the same product. PBL will offer the longer life compared to McKee's. You can't go wrong with either one.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job.

Post Thanks / Like

So if you're looking at the kits (PB Wheel & Glass vs. McKee's Wheel & Glass) and for almost the same price would you rather have the PB? Any significant difference in performance over the short-term?
    I would likely just reseal the rims each spring regardless of which product. Is there a huge difference in performance between the two glass products?

Post Thanks / Like

Just did the wheels on my wife's car. I'm new to detailing and very new to coatings. The AG application guide says that two sprays are adequate for one wheel. This stuff flashes so quickly I don't see how that's possible. It's very hard to see on a light colored wheel, and I added spray when I could no longer see it going on the wheel or see any product on my gloved finger. I likely used far more product than I should have - probably 20 sprays per wheel.

Is there a trick to know when you need more product? Can I just assume 2-3 sprays will be enough and do an entire wheel even though I can't see it being applied? Also, not clear what the cure time or re-application time is. I'd like to get a 2nd coat on to cover and spots I missed. Is 2 hours adequate for a 2nd coat? 12? Do I need to wait 24 hours after the last coat before they see any water?

Two year old car that's new to us. Not sure the wheels were ever cleaned other than the surface. Barrels were filthy. This would have been a lot easier had I taken the wheels off to clean and coat. Wife had some heartburn with me doing that much work to her new car.

Will try to add some before/after pics. Currently too large.
    Last edited by RippyD; 09-24-2016 at 11:46 AM. Reason: remove photo

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast