autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Showdown: Mother's Back to Black Tire Renew vs. Blackfire All-in-One Tire & Trim Protectant

I got the bottle of the Mother's product free with the purchase of their new Waterless Wash Product. I decided to buy a bottle of the Blackfire product after reading all of the other excellent reviews on it. I realize the Mother's product isn't meant to be a protectant, but I wanted to see how they did against each other. I'm far away from home and looking to refine the "car care kit" I bring with me on these types of trips. For tires, previously I would bring some APC, a scrub brush, demoted microfiber towels and Poorboys World Bold N' Bright gel.

I also picked up some microfiber applicators for these products for some scrubbing power.

I waterless washed the car in the "open air" garage at the condo complex. I started with a dry dirty tire:

First up was the Mother's. I sprayed the product directly onto the applicator and began to scrub the blackwall. I didn't do any wiping after that, just let it dry. This is how the applicator looked after scrubbing half of one tire:

And here is the clean tire while the product is drying:

Next up was the Blackfire. Here is the applicator after half of one tire:

And after:

And here's a finished tire outside in the light:

Conclusion. I think the Mother's product cleans better. It might be better suited to a super dirty tire that you are planning on stripping bare for new dressing. For these tires, the Blackfire did a great job. It's a jack of all trades, master of none. If you care for your tires regularly then this product is perfect for you. I ended up using the Mother's followed by the Blackfire on these tires. For the purposes of a traveling car care kit, the Blackfire is capable of replacing the APC, scrub brush, microfibers and dedicated dressing. This will be a new regular product for me.
    Cherry on Top Auto Detailing, Fishkill NY

https://www.facebook.com/CherryOnTopDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Showdown: Mother's Back to Black Tire Renew vs. Blackfire All-in-One Tire & Trim Protectant

Is there a reason why you did not apply the Mother's accordingly to the directions on the bottle? It does not call for any scrubbing of the tire as it is a WOWO product. And I wonder if by scrubbing it in your actually not removing the grime from the pores of the rubber but rather just working some of it back in?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Showdown: Mother's Back to Black Tire Renew vs. Blackfire All-in-One Tire & Trim Protectant

Quote Originally Posted by evo77 View Post
    Is there a reason why you did not apply the Mother's accordingly to the directions on the bottle? It does not call for any scrubbing of the tire as it is a WOWO product. And I wonder if by scrubbing it in your actually not removing the grime from the pores of the rubber but rather just working some of it back in?
    Huh? He said the Mothers cleaned better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Huh? He said the Mothers cleaned better.
    Right, which sorta puzzles me given that his method of application is completely different from the directions. Perhaps the results would be even more fantastic applying it as directed? <shrugs shoulders>

I only say this because I use this product on my two vehicles when I clean tires. Brown gunk starts pouring off almost immediately on contact. I can't imagine scrubbing that in.

Just my observation from his post.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by evo77 View Post
    Right, which sorta puzzles me given that his method of application is completely different from the directions. Perhaps the results would be even more fantastic applying it as directed? <shrugs shoulders>

I only say this because I use this product on my two vehicles when I clean tires. Brown gunk starts pouring off almost immediately on contact. I can't imagine scrubbing that in.

Just my observation from his post.
    Not particularly. The directions say to spray directly on the tire, allow to dwell about 15 seconds then wipe off. I wanted to control overspray and runoff so I sprayed onto the microfiber applicator. I don't really think you would be "rubbing in" anything that the product is removing from the tire, it all seemed to come right off on the applicator.

Post Thanks / Like

It is not exactly a head to head but definitely agree Mother cleans better. I am just not sure how you could really compare cleaning since Blackfire is likely hiding some of it. I have redressed tires had some tire brown and you really could not tell.
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

I use Mother's Back to Black and it is an excellent product to remove gunk from the tires. I am lazy and just spray and rinse. It cleans the rubber real well for prepping to apply tire dressing.

But the OP hits the important points. I can't comment on the Blackfire Product as I have never used it. But nice review.
    CJ
    2013 Mustang GT w/Track Pack 6-Speed Manual
    Save the Manual!

Post Thanks / Like

Showdown: Mother's Back to Black Tire Renew vs. Blackfire All-in-One Tire & T...

So, what do you do with that filthy pad when your done?

The Mothers product works very well. Use it on the road with a wash cloth from a hotel your staying in ... Lolz. Thats what I do. Those dollar wash cloths are pretty good at cleaning tires...If you use it at home, be prepared to have to filthy towels around when your done. Same with BF.

I've tested the Mothers product with a brush - and works very well. But still costs more than Tuff Shine Tire Cleaner 1:1.

Of course, if you clean the tires with a brush, most of the dirt rinses away.

Post Thanks / Like

Haha on the hotel wash cloths!

I soaked them in hot water with a bit of unscented laundry detergent. It got most of the grime out, I'll reuse them in the future.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk