autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review & Video: SONAX Brilliant Shine Detailer

Great videos man. Very thorough and honest. Appreciate that people like you are putting up quality videos.

Post Thanks / Like

I got some of this on the weekend sale, I need to stay away from this site, I'm spending way too much money
    2015 Audi //S4 (Ibis White)
    1995 BMW ///M3 (Alpine White)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Loach View Post
    It works great as a drying aid, but on the first application you will definitely get stronger beading results if you spray it on a dry panel and work it in with a microfiber. For application, I like to spray it on the paint and spread it on with a microfiber, and then flip the microfiber over for that final pass. The difference with this product and some other spray products, is I'm not seeing any oily residue that can slightly distort the light that requires a little more effort for that final wipedown to get them out.
    I'm looking to use it with PNS as a base. I'll have to try half the car as a drying aid, and the other half the way you mention.

Thanks for input.

Post Thanks / Like

One of my favorite products in my arsenal. I quit reaching for D156 and AW in favor of it because it outperforms every other spray product I've used. If you want, give their speed wax a try also. It has carnauba in it and leaves a nice shine. Not quite as easy to use though as it requires you to buff it off more.

Post Thanks / Like

I purchased the product based on this review and the youtube video. The review is 100% accurate. The product is very easy to apply, leaves a great shine (really made my white car pop) and beads like CRAZY. I washed the car yesterday and applied BSD. It rained today and I couldn't get over how well it beaded. When I got home, I dried the car and it was very easy. I agree, the only downside is that BSD feels a little "grabby" ..not as slick as UQW or V7.

Post Thanks / Like

Use BSD as base and top with UQW after every wash

Post Thanks / Like

I've been mixing a little PNS in a small spray bottle full of BSD, and I'm getting good results (i.e. it's more user friendly). The small bottle's fine sprayer better distributes the product, and the PNS/BSD mix seems less prone to streaking, IME. It probably improves durability, too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tenblade2001 View Post
    I purchased the product based on this review and the youtube video. The review is 100% accurate. The product is very easy to apply, leaves a great shine (really made my white car pop) and beads like CRAZY. I washed the car yesterday and applied BSD. It rained today and I couldn't get over how well it beaded. When I got home, I dried the car and it was very easy. I agree, the only downside is that BSD feels a little "grabby" ..not as slick as UQW or V7.
    Nice, they definitely have some very cool chemistry going on inside. The less slick grabby feel is definitely a function of the layer of the sealant that helps boost the hydrophobic behavior beyond other super slick products. What I'm learning, is there is a theoretical limit to how tight you can get a product to bead water up on a super smooth surface. So if you want to improve the hydrophobic behavior beyond a certain point, you have to add in some function of "texture" to the surface. What's really cool is Sonax has been able to add this microscopic texture to the paint while leaving behind a crystal clear surface that doesn't hurt the look of it.

Unfortunately, if we really want to see super-hydrophobic(think NeverWet) surfaces on paint, it seems we're going to have to sacrifice some level of slickness on the surface and possibly gloss and clarity. But Sonax really has found that nice level where the paint is still relatively smooth, and the beading and the clarity on the paint is outstanding. If you like the beading of BSD, definitely pick up Polymer Net Shield, I'll have a video review of this coming soon and its water beading is at the top of the game on paint!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Loach View Post
    Nice, they definitely have some very cool chemistry going on inside. The less slick grabby feel is definitely a function of the layer of the sealant that helps boost the hydrophobic behavior beyond other super slick products. What I'm learning, is there is a theoretical limit to how tight you can get a product to bead water up on a super smooth surface. So if you want to improve the hydrophobic behavior beyond a certain point, you have to add in some function of "texture" to the surface. What's really cool is Sonax has been able to add this microscopic texture to the paint while leaving behind a crystal clear surface that doesn't hurt the look of it.

Unfortunately, if we really want to see super-hydrophobic(think NeverWet) surfaces on paint, it seems we're going to have to sacrifice some level of slickness on the surface and possibly gloss and clarity. But Sonax really has found that nice level where the paint is still relatively smooth, and the beading and the clarity on the paint is outstanding. If you like the beading of BSD, definitely pick up Polymer Net Shield, I'll have a video review of this coming soon and its water beading is at the top of the game on paint!
    I'm wondering if PNS is layerable (is that a word) and will it add to the durability, or should I just top with BSD every 2-3 washes?

Post Thanks / Like

PNS is great as standalone ^^
    I also tried spray left over PNS from the can to mix with BSD in a spray bottle. More buffing needed but the durability and hydrophobic is excellent.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast