autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PBL coatings...

Post Thanks / Like

PBL coatings...

5/11/2015:

Tried the Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating and the Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Glass Coating.

The victim: My Porsche 911.

Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating. I started with my door jams first to see how it went on/off/flashed. Goes on easy. 'Spreads/covers' well. A little seems to go a long way. The high spots wiped off easily enough. It seemed to 'darken' the paint a bit. It really appears to have made the metallic pop...and the paint looks like it has a lot of depth to it. So far I am a believer. I will see what the durability/upkeep is and report back.

Next up to bat: Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Glass Coating. Very easy to use! Spray onto the glass, apply/spread/cover the glass, wait approx. 1 minute or so for it to flash, and then wipe away the high spots. It left the glass looking very 'clean' and streak free. Nice.

UPDATE!!! 06/01/2015

Just under 30 days on the coatings. Almost 3k miles on them though! We just got back from a week long road trip.

We had a variety of driving conditions. Clear skies, rain, drizzle, road construction, bugs, and more bugs, straight intense sun, shady, sappy, tree canopy lined roads, etc.

My observations: PBL paint coating. Bugs wiped off easily with some UWW and a waterless wash towel. Car was 'dirty/grimy' from driving. Not hammered, but you could tell it was not clean. I used some UWW on the front end and mirrors on the first night we stopped. It cleaned up well...it just didn't finish well. It streaked like crazy. Now, this could be due to my UWW %, I know I mixed it a little heavy before the trip, but it really streaked and was a bear to wipe down without making me nervous about marring the surface.

Did an actual wash when we arrived at the cabin. WOW! The water just blows right off the surfaces! Very impressive. It appears to be very hydrophobic. I washed our friends 911 Cabriolet also and he commented on how his car was not doing the same to the water and that he could even see the shampoo was having a difficult time 'sticking' to the surface.

Surface still feels slick and still has a nice 'glow' to it.

three thumbs up so far!

PBL glass coating: As I said in my application review: very user friendly and easy to apply/remove. Glass looks great. During the wash, water blew right off/rolled right off the glass. Nice.

Driving in the rain: Not impressed at all. I would have thought that the water would have rolled right off during driving. It DID NOT. I had to be going well over 45mph before the glass started to clear itself. I was very surprised. I would have thought it would have been much better. I have used other glass 'sealants' before and they have out performed this IMO. (my wife even made the statement that RainX performs better)

My rear glass is somewhat slanted and in a relief: the water DID bead, but just sat there. It did not go anywhere at all...even after the rain stopped and I was at highway speeds. I was puzzled.

I may let this run its' course or I am thinking of polishing it off and putting something else back on that I know performs to my standards.

One thumbs up, maybe 1.5 due to the ease of use.

Well that's my early review!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: PBL coatings...

Nice review.

How did you prep the glass?

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review. I've not tried the paint coating, but you're dead on with the glass coating IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the review!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rose
    I am cursed for life because I can never look at beautiful paint without seeing the defects

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Nice review.

How did you prep the glass?

Cleaned, clayed, surface cleansing polish via Rupes 3".
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sizzle Chest View Post
    I have the DP glass coating that's been on for 4 months now and it too starts to sheet about 37-40 mph based on the HUD on the car. I was hoping it would sheet at a lower speed. Such as Meguiar's D156 I've seen it sheet around 20-25ish mph. I can't recall how the rear glass behaves with DP glass coating since it hasn't rained here in So Cal in a few weeks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    I have the DP glass coating that's been on for 4 months now and it too starts to sheet about 37-40 mph based on the HUD on the car. I was hoping it would sheet at a lower speed. Such as Meguiar's D156 I've seen it sheet around 20-25ish mph. I can't recall how the rear glass behaves with DP glass coating since it hasn't rained here in So Cal in a few weeks.
    How long does the M 156 last on the windshield before the next application?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glfnaz View Post
    How long does the M 156 last on the windshield before the next application?

Honestly I don't remember. I was using it on all surfaces as a drying aid every other wash. One thing to note is that I did get some wiper blade chatter with D156. Nothing with the glass coating.

I have PBL wheel coating on my wheels and I have been very satisfied with the results thus far. It's been on the wheels for 1 month.

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the updates!

Quote Originally Posted by Sizzle Chest View Post
    40-45 mph is the norm for most glass coatings that I've used (and I've used A LOT of them ). RainX leaves an oily film on the surface that does in fact cause water to roll off at lower speeds, but the affect doesn't last long at all. I guess you could call that a "trade off."

To ensure all remaining residue is removed from the Surface Cleansing Polish, I like to clean the glass using a glass cleaner after wiping off the polish. If you don't flip the towel often when wiping off the polish, you're basically redepositing it, which will leave a thin film of residue that will not allow the coating to completely adhere to the glass. Better safe than sorry.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nick@Autogeek View Post
    Thanks for the updates!

40-45 mph is the norm for most glass coatings that I've used (and I've used A LOT of them ). RainX leaves an oily film on the surface that does in fact cause water to roll off at lower speeds, but the affect doesn't last long at all. I guess you could call that a "trade off."

To ensure all remaining residue is removed from the Surface Cleansing Polish, I like to clean the glass using a glass cleaner after wiping off the polish. If you don't flip the towel often when wiping off the polish, you're basically redepositing it, which will leave a thin film of residue that will not allow the coating to completely adhere to the glass. Better safe than sorry.

Thanks Nick. I am going to polish it off and redo it just to make sure it wasn't 'operator error'; I know it wasn't but want to try it anyway!

I'll update my review when finished!
    Scott Harle
    Autodermatology
    #autodermatology

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast