autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Blackfire Crystal Coat thoughts + PBL and CQUK

So I wanted to share some thoughts now that I have used 3 name brand coatings on the market. CQUK being the first, Pinnacles black label diamond paint coating and finally the Blackfire Crystal Coat. Before I begin I will say that all 3 perform and there is no loser here.

First up was CQuartz UK paint coating. This was my first coating and I actually won it on a giveaway through Autopia The link below is from when I first used it. Although it went on pretty good I did notice some high spots in different lighting conditions. In order to knock these down I lightly polished with some SF4000 by hand. Being a quartz based coating it beads water very well and lasts on well prepped surface. Application is a bit tricky in different climates so patients is needed for application along with great lighting. Also it doesn't cure with a super slick finish. Doesn't really bother me but I know some will not like that as much. The added gloss was amazing.

CQUK 06 GTO 2nd place!!

Next was the Pinnacle Black Label Diamond paint coating. I bought the complete kit that also includes glass and wheel coatings, microfibers, applicators and prep polish. Although a little pricey it's a well put together kit. This coating is ceramic based unlike the other 2 mentioned. After following the directions using the supplied prep polish I applied the paint coating as instructed. I was blown away at how easy it goes on. A little goes a long way and wipe off is effortless to say the least! Almost too good to be true! Along with great gloss I was treated to a super slick surface upon curing. I will say that if you are a beginner then this is a coating you should really consider! My only real issue was that the water beading properties seemed to diminish quite quickly (few weeks). The shine, slickness etc stayed so I know the coating was still there. Tough to explain but it happened on both of my personal cars. Other than that great coating with great ease of use.

In love with Pinnacle black label coating

Finally this past Friday I picked up the new Blackfire Crystal coating. I bought the kit that includes the coating, prep spray, applicators, 3 microfibers and a bottle of the Blackfire car soap. Good value and a well put together kit. So for this test I polished off the PBL coating and re-applied CQUK to the sides of the car and left the hood, roof, trunk and bumpers for the Blackfire. My reason for trying the Blackfire coating was simple. I wanted a quartz based coating that went on easy and lasted. From other reviews I had seen so far this was a easy coating to apply and gave great results. They were right. I only needed a very small amount to do a section at a time. The coating spreads easy, not quite as easy as PBL but easier than CQUK. Wipe off was pretty easy as well. Easier than CQUK but again not quite as easy and PBL. After curing the surface was slick but again not quite as slick as PBL but slicker than CQUK. Gloss was right on par for a name brand coating. The water beading is pretty much dead on with CQUK as well.

Thanks for reading. I hope this helps some people decide. Feel free to ask any questions!

Here are a few shots of the Blackfire coating next to the CQUK.

Blackfire on the trunk. Sorry for the weird reflection.

Blackfire on the hood

50/50 Blackfire on the hood and CQUK on the fender.

IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto Detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Blackfire Crystal Coat thoughts + PBL and CQUK

I have seen this car in person and I challenge anyone to find a car that is a daily driver, with a child seat in back, thats as quick, and with paint as flawless as this!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jaretr1 View Post
    I have seen this car in person and I challenge anyone to find a car that is a daily driver, with a child seat in back, thats as quick, and with paint as flawless as this!
    Wow! Thanks man for the kind words! I am sure there out there!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the write up. I'm looking into those 3 coatings. Since I know I need to experiment a bit, I'm looking for a system that allows me to get some practice in. How many cars would you estimate you could do with each coating system?
    Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Busy mind View Post
    Thanks for the write up. I'm looking into those 3 coatings. Since I know I need to experiment a bit, I'm looking for a system that allows me to get some practice in. How many cars would you estimate you could do with each coating system?
    Thanks.
    With the small 4.oz Blackfire coating based on what I used so far I would say 2-3. Same goes for the PBL coating. 2-3 depending on how generous you spray it on. The CQUK depending on the size of the bottle I would say 2.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smokinss View Post
    With the small 4.oz Blackfire coating based on what I used so far I would say 2-3. Same goes for the PBL coating. 2-3 depending on how generous you spray it on. The CQUK depending on the size of the bottle I would say 2.
    I applied Blackfire Crystal Coat to a 2015 Subaru Outback today. The bottle is black, so hard to tell, but I think I used one ounce or a just a bit more for the job. I did not apply to 1/2 or the hood or front bumper they have PPF installed. According to Nick, in another thread, Blackfire is not recommended for application over PPF.