autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Marine 31 Captains Coat UV50-Chaparral 1830SS

While I was down at this year's Detail Fest I was talking to Nick about Marine 31 and he told me that they were going to be releasing a new coating specifically for gel coats. I was very interested as I have never used a coating on gel coat. This past weekend I pulled my boat from storage and prepped it for the summer. The boat was pretty dirty from sitting in the storage yard after being bottom painted. Basically just a ton of dust and pollen since we have gotten little to no rain.

My boat is a 1999 Chaparral 1830 SS which I have had since new. It only has about 140 hours on it and I am pretty meticulous when it comes to it's care. The boat sits in the water all summer at my beach house in a slip from May through September. The boat is washed and cleaned every time it comes in and out of the slip and after 16 years the boat still looks brand new. I have always polished the gel coat each spring and at the end of the summer. My "go to" combo is DG 501 and Collinite 845 as the LSP. Since I tend to polish the boat frequently I really don't have a ton of oxidation. To this day I am amazed at how well 845 holds up in a marine environment. I put a coat on last September and even through this harsh winter and being shrink wrapped and sitting outside when I hit the the finish with water I was shocked at how well the beading was.

Product Description

Marine 31 Captain’s Boat Coating with UV50 provides longer lasting protection than any conventional wax or polymer sealant. Formulated using a complex blend of quartz-based particles, this state-of-the-art boat coating provides superior resistance to UV rays, salt degradation, and other common contaminants that plague a boat from every day use. Compared to a traditional wax that only lasts a couple months, Marine 31 Captain’s Boat Coating provides protection measured in years.

Nick was gracious enough to send me some new Marine 31 products to try this weekend on the boat. I have been using Marine 31 products since they were released. Some of my favorites are the Vinyl Conditioner/Cleaner, Odor Eliminator, Rinseless Wash, and the Gel Coat Spray Wax Plus.

Here was the process on the boat. Total time was about 6 hours.

Wash with Marine 31 Gel Coat Wash and Wax with Sherhold Boat Brush
    Polish with Marine 31 Gel Coat Final Step Polish with Flex and Sonus SFX yellow pad
    Polish with Marine 31 Gel Coat Final Step Polish with PCXP and an orange waffle weave pad (harder to reach areas)
    Wipe down gel coat with APC on a MF towel and follow up with damp MF towel to remove APC residue
    Marine 31 Captains Coating UV 50 with LC Coating Applicator
    Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant on rub rail
    Stoners More Shine Less Time on trailer tires
    Wipe down interior with Marine 31 APC and MG Magic Eraser on some stubborn marks
    Dressed all Vinyl seats etc with Marine 31 Vinyl Cleaner/Conditioner
    Marine 31 Odor Eliminator on carpets

So I went about applying the Marine 31 Captains Coating. I called Nick after receiving the product and he told me that a little goes a long way and to make sure that I wipe down the gel coat with APC to remove any polishing oils. I apply the coating with a foam coating applicator in a back and forth motion. I would do small sections and wait about 3 mins and go back to the previous section to buff. Nick wasn't kidding when he said that a little goes a long way and I did end up with some high spots that needed some elbow grease to remove.

Finish Pics:

Thoughts and Observations on Captains Coating:

1) As I stated earlier I little goes a very long way. I found myself over applying it in many areas which made it difficult to remove at times. I removed the coating with a short nap MF towel. I didn't find the coating was as easy to remove as 845 or a sealant.
    2) I noticed that the gel coat seems to get slicker as the coating cured over a few hours. The gloss was impressive.
    3) The label says to avoid water for 12 hours. Unfortunately we got some light rain over night before I put the boat in the water today so hopefully it won't effect the durability to much.
    4) The durability stated that it will last years. I will be interested to see how it's holding up at the end of the summer. There were a few areas on the top passenger compartments that I did not apply the coating too but opted to use 845 instead. It should be a good comparison to see how it holds up in the sun etc.
    5) The coating costs $49.99 for a small oz bottle. I probably could use this bottle every season for about 5 years. I barely put a dent in the bottle in coating my 18ft boat.

I will try and report back on how the Captains Coating is holding up through the summer.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Marine 31 Captains Coat UV50-Chaparral 1830SS

Nice! I may have to try this on my in laws 339 Intrepid that I just detailed.
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto Detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection

Post Thanks / Like

I just ordered the coating today based on your results. I can't wait to try it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I was literally just sitting here wishing someone would do a review of the new coating and what do you know.. Thanks for the review and I look forward to the updates!
    2015 F-150 Platinum 5.0L V8 4WD
    2012 Audi A6 Prestige 3.0L
    2009 Porsche 911 Carrera S

Post Thanks / Like

I'll be interested to see how it repels waterspots. I have always used Ducky spray to remove waterspots after I am done with the boat/jetski. If I can just dry it without using ducky spray, I will be a happy camper!

Post Thanks / Like

Quick update

Boat has been in the water for a week. Heavy rain on some days. No black streaks that I used to get on the gel coat and it looks very clean.

Beading is fantastic.

Marine 31 Captains Coat UV50-Chaparral 1830SS-imageuploadedbytapatalk1432500489-129011-jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Quick video after I took it out and cleaned it up. Very happy with how the water sheets.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks awesome. The blue-white colors always look classy.

How do you only have 140hrs over the last 15 years? That is amazing, you'll have that boat for many more years.

I put just under 1500hrs on mine in the past 3 years; I going to repower next year or when ever I hit 2000hrs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ebg18t View Post
    Looks awesome. The blue-white colors always look classy.

How do you only have 140hrs over the last 15 years? That is amazing, you'll have that boat for many more years.

I put just under 1500hrs on mine in the past 3 years; I going to repower next year or when ever I hit 2000hrs.
    Well I figure I only really use the boat on the weekends and on vacation in the summer. So I guess I average about 25-30 hours a year. I just put a ton of money into the engine (tune up, baffles, carb rebuild) and she is running fantastic. Last year it was a new prop and new trim sensor.

I still get compliments on it all the time and people can't believe it's 16 years old. Just goes to show you how maintaining things like this will make them last.

Post Thanks / Like

Just an update to this thread. I used Marine 31 Captains Coating back in mid May. The boat has sat in the water in my slip for the entire summer.

I pulled the boat this weekend for a quick clean up before storage and wanted to show how great the boat looks. Pretty impressive !!!

The boat was maintained with Marine 31 soap and QD throughout the summer. There were a few black steaks that a mild polish took case of.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast