autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Review: Meguiar's D114 Rinseless Wash

Hello everyone,

I wanted to share my thoughts and also ask a few questions regarding Meg's D114. I am by no means a professional detailer, just a guy who likes to keep his car clean. Without further ado, here are my thoughts and review on the product.

1.) History: Firstly, I am not stranger to rinseless and waterless washes. Based in California, I am sure many of you know the really bad drought we are having and there has never been a better time for water conservation.

I've used gallons of ONR, DP Rinseless, and just recently, Pinnacle's Rinseless with Carnuba. I've also practice diluting those rinseless washes into their waterless wash ratios and pre-soaking panels before my towels ever touch the paint.

2.) Dilution: I dilute D114 as follows:

Rinseless: 1 oz to 1 gallon for washes that go more than two weeks apart and 1 oz to 2 gallons for washes that are less than two weeks apart.

Waterless pre-soak: I dilute about (and I mean about) 0.25 oz to 1 liter of water.

3.) Method: I use the "several towels in one bucket method" or the Garry Dean Method. I've been using 350 gsm Eurow towels (not super great but it's my DD, so I'm ok with that).

I soak the towels in the solution while I gather all my supplies. Once I do, I spray down the panel I am going to work on liberally; just after the solutions starts to run down the side of the car and onto the ground.

Once that's done, I take my soaking towel and very gently wipe the panel down in straight lines, flip the towel and go back over the same section. I do like how the towel glides over the paint. I then take my drying towel and finish up the panel.

4.) Thoughts: As a rinseless/waterless pre-soak, D114 is a top notch product. It has a great dilution ratio and smells great as well. The cleaning factor is very good too.

I'm sure people have read about the ability for this to be a "panel-wipe" at 1:15 dilution ratio but I have not tested this. I've only used it as a rinsless wash.

One very interesting observation I have noticed after my 10+ uses, the solution "sits flat" on the panels. What I mean is, the solution does not bead, does not fall off the panel relatively quickly. Once I go over the panel with my towel, the left over residue does not drip down or spread; it just stays.

Furthermore, I noticed parts of the panel will dry before I am able to wipe it dry with a towel and to my surprise, no streaks or anything. I am not talking about letting the entire panel dry, but just from the time it takes me to do a few panels and the edges of where I cleaned, the solution "creeps" from it and leaves behind a nice, streak-free surface.

5.) Questions: Now, my question(s) to those who have used this product, is that behavior normal? The residue/solution is easy to clean but I wonder if this behavior is simply due to the contents of the wash.

All the other rinseless washes I've used acted more like water on the surface of the panel but this one does not.

Regardless, this is a fantastic product and I will continue to use it weekly on my vehicles and do not think I will turn towards something else (but I say that a lot and end up trying new things).

Thanks for reading.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Meguiar's D114 Rinseless Wash

Awesome. I have been wanting to try this. Waiting to burn through my UWW plus!

Post Thanks / Like

Meguiars D114 is a great product and keep wash media clean

Post Thanks / Like

I used it again today on my wife's car with the big red sponge and two buckets. cleaned the car well. Definitely stays on the panel flat like you mentioned for me as well

Post Thanks / Like

The new king of rinseless products. Makes a great IPA replacement and clay lube at 1:15.
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daviddear30 View Post
    I used it again today on my wife's car with the big red sponge and two buckets. cleaned the car well. Definitely stays on the panel flat like you mentioned for me as well
    Phew, I thought I was the only one. No one seemed to mention the "flatness" or the tendency for the solution to stay on the panel.

I really like the 1:256 dilution ratio, makes that gallon a very economic purchase.

I think I've found "the one" with regards to rinseless/waterless washes!

Post Thanks / Like

it seems to take a while to dry/flash off for my taste

Post Thanks / Like

The way it reacts on paint by going "flat" is completely normal. It's just one of the behaviors of the product. And you will also find that if a bit does dry at all it is very easy to wipe off. Ultima Waterless Wash + is still my favorite all around but D114 is a very very close second. I have and use both when a 2 bucket wash is not an option.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vue to a kill View Post
    The way it reacts on paint by going "flat" is completely normal. It's just one of the behaviors of the product. And you will also find that if a bit does dry at all it is very easy to wipe off. Ultima Waterless Wash + is still my favorite all around but D114 is a very very close second. I have and use both when a 2 bucket wash is not an option.
    Ah thanks for the heads up. All other rinse less washes I've tried do not act this way.

Post Thanks / Like

Is it better than Optimum no rinse and shine?

Anyone tried both?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast