autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Book Review: How to use the Flex XC 3401 by Mike Phillips

BOOK REVIEW

Right before SEMA, Bryan ran a contest and I was one of the prize recipients. The winnings were Mike Phillips How to use the Flex XC3401 book Link to contest! I did promise to read and review, and for all that know me, you know that I am true to my promises, and also fair and informative in my posts.

Here are a couple of pictures as the book sits on my desk. I had quite a few patients that dropped in and asked what I was reading LOL! The big surprised was that it was signed on the inside cover page. I was not expecting that! Thanks Mike.

The book can currently be purchased for $19.99 (on sale for $14.99) Mike Phillips' How to use the Flex XC3401 VRG Dual Action Orbital Polisher Paperback Book

EXPECTATIONS:

I've owned a Flex 3401 for a while and really came to love the polisher following hours and hours of polishing on all types of surfaces (two stage paint, single stage paint, gel coat and even glass). Prior to the Flex I worked with the GG6 and a Rupes 21. The Rupes has been my workhorse, until I found the Flex. Don't get me wrong the Rupes outperforms the Flex in certain task but my "brute force" polisher has been the Flex ever since I put my hands on it. Why am I telling you all of that? Because although I did perfect my craft through experimentation, I was looking forward to some expert wisedom to get even better with it. Having known Mike for a few years my expectations were high. We are dealing with one of the big name in the industry after all, right!?.

BOOK CONSTRUCTION

The book is a 52 page soft cover book which looks to use similar glossy paper as high end magazines. At first glance the book is full of well laid out pages combining written and visual material (colored pictures). I read a lot of dry technical/scientific writings so I always welcome a visually stimulating book. You can find a clearly delineated index in the front, which will help direct you to a section of interest. The font and size makes it easy to read and points of interests or emphasis are clearly defined with a change in font color and with bold terms (ie. IMPORTANT). It does appear that the physical book is simply a printed extension of the digital version as you have a lot of hyperlink (which obviously don't work. Trust me I tried LOL!). The writing style simple, concise and to the point, definitely something that everyone can read and follow (unlike some of my writings which at times requires you to re-read 10x because they are complex verbal regurgitation)

CONTENT

know I will get a lot of flack from my comments but I am sure that Mike will take my constructive criticisms for what they are, a way to improve on an existing product

The book itself is not an exposé on the Flex 3401 as much as it is an introductory to detailing. It does contain a little history on the company, a little about its construction, its differences when comparing to a free spindle model..... but then the book falls flat. You do get Mike's pad and compound recommendations; and recommendation for polisher speed; as well as Mike's wisdom with regards to maximizing our detailing profitability and marketing.... but all the information is very, very basic and does leave a seasoned detailer wanting more. I would not mind a "kindergarten" section if we could have a "PhD" section as well. As an outsider looking in, you can definitely see the PBMG influence in the product placement, however I cannot fault them for the cross promotion as I fully understand the "reach" of a book of that nature, especially if you are the publisher.

In any case, if you were to read the book without knowing the title you would swear that it was a basic intro to detailing (discussing pad selection, compound selection, pad priming, test spots, section passes), with a section on the Flex, so I fail to see a real "how to" on the actual Flex machine, except for the 5 pages that deal with the construction (gear driven mechanism), basic maintenance (felt lubrication), and aftermarkets (interchangeable backing plate).

As a detailer, I wanted to hear the "pearls of wisdom" on the machine and its advanced handling (i.e how to attack complex concavities, convexities, smaller areas like mirrors, with a lot more a lot more meat than what was presented in the "6 tips" section). It would also have been nice to read about mods and repair tips (common problems, problem shooting etc..). Even the recommendation for maintenance such lubrication frequency and what could make you want to lubricate more often (like polishing on gelcoat with a lot of downpressure) were left vague and basic. I know that most of the information I am seeking would be too technical for a book geared to the general public but what should you expect from a book entitled "How to use the Flex 3401"? When I buy new books I normally look for 2 things: 1) to confirm that I am doing ok 2) to learn new tips and tricks. Unfortunately for me this book didn't really offer either. Don't get me wrong, it is a very good book as an intro to detailing but I would doubt that it would do much for Mike's reputation to swap the section on the polisher (in the front of the book) to have a Rupes section and re-publish the same book as a "How to use the Rupes 21/15/Duetto"

RATING THE BOOK

Overall I would give the general content of the book a solid 7/10 if looking at it as a beginner detailer. This is definitely a book that will bring invaluable information to a person that never handled a polisher and wanted to start with the Flex. You may find the information a little flat if you are a "geeker" with a little experience as all of the information is referenced is a redundancy off of information shared regularly on the forum. I gave it a 7/10 over an 8/10 because having seen what the Nanoskin Autoscrub can do to paint using forced rotation (and lacking lubrication)... I would have definitely put a strong word of warning about using the Flex over a free spindle DA (which would stop if you made the mistake of not using enough lube). In addition, I would personally add that you need to do an IPA or Erasor wipedown to your test spot before confirming your process. Too many people (even more experienced detailers) are fooled by those polishing oils filling the marring/micro scratches

What about the rating of the book to a veteran detailer? I would give it a 2/10 (I know HARSH!!). It is definitely a fun easy read, but nothing new or earth shattering, and definitely not a "go-to" book. I will cherish my book since Mike signed it, but it will find its way to my memorabilia shelf alongside my Ivan bobble heads etc..

Please feel free to ask questions, comments etc...

https://www.facebook.com/FlawlessFinishDetailing
    Dr. Claude Tremblay, Co-owner/Senior Detailer, Certified CQuartz FINEST Installer

Super Member Caleb@ImpeccableImage's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Book Review: How to use the Flex XC 3401 by Mike Phillips

Great review Claude, I have book #6 . Glad to see you enjoyed it as well. I found it to be very informative and helped me with my technique and pad selection.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the honest well typed and thought out review Claude!
    It's all in the details

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb@ImpeccableImage View Post
    Great review Claude, I have book #6 . Glad to see you enjoyed it as well. I found it to be very informative and helped me with my technique and pad selection.
    Quote Originally Posted by EVOlved View Post
    Thanks for the honest well typed and thought out review Claude!
    157 views and only 2 replies. I doubt many on the forum are as appreciative of the review

I believe that honesty is the best policy and I hope that all reading can appreciate that we don't love every single thing. It was a great read, well put together but did fall flat in my expectations. I do not discourage anyone in getting and reading the book but I don't want anyone to have unrealized expectations by simply reading the title of the book.

I do appreciate both of your replies as I am sure that many read and thought to themselves "I'm not touching this with a 10 foot pole"

Dr. Claude Tremblay, Co-owner/Senior Detailer, Certified CQuartz FINEST Installer

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for taking the time to write up an in depth and fair book review, Claude. I also have Mike's book and share your perspectives and overall rating scores. As a fellow geek, I'd have to agree that it's usefulness is rather limited.

Printing the hyperlinks into the physical book from the digital version I found slightly odd as well. Would it really have been that hard to remove them before printing? As a way to address it, I'd suggest providing the digital copy to anyone who's purchases the physical book. Or at the very least an email w/ all of the hyperlinks mentioned for easy access.

I'd give this book review an A+!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much for taking the time to firstly read the book and compile the review and secondly for doing it in the manner in which you did.

It certainly gives the reader of your review a good insight into what the book is about.

Moldavite

Thanks for the review
    always willing to hear more from detail experts!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the honest review. Am I correct in saying that those of us who already have Mike's first book will not gain much from this new book?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Angus View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to write up an in depth and fair book review, Claude. I also have Mike's book and share your perspectives and overall rating scores. As a fellow geek, I'd have to agree that it's usefulness is rather limited.

Printing the hyperlinks into the physical book from the digital version I found slightly odd as well. Would it really have been that hard to remove them before printing? As a way to address it, I'd suggest providing the digital copy to anyone who's purchases the physical book. Or at the very least an email w/ all of the hyperlinks mentioned for easy access.

I'd give this book review an A+!
    Quote Originally Posted by lawrenceSA View Post
    Thank you very much for taking the time to firstly read the book and compile the review and secondly for doing it in the manner in which you did.

It certainly gives the reader of your review a good insight into what the book is about.

Quote Originally Posted by Moldavite View Post
    Thanks for the review
    always willing to hear more from detail experts!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan K View Post
    Thank you for the honest review. Am I correct in saying that those of us who already have Mike's first book will not gain much from this new book?
    I re-read my own review and tried to read it as an outsider looking in and to be honest it is a little "sharp". So let me try and share my thoughts in a concrete example.

Scenario:
    I am a veteran detailer and walk in to Books-a-Million and head to the "how-to" section and am looking for a book to help me improve my skills. I come across Mike's book call "How to use the Flex XC 3401 VRG Dual Action Orbital Polisher" and the book is wrapped in cellophane, I would have bought the book and probably could not have waited to go home to learn how to "Master the Beast". I open the book and bummer!!

Scenario#2:
    I am a veteran detailer and walk in to Books-a-Million and head to the "how-to" section and am looking for a book to help me improve my skills. I come across Mike's book call "How to use the Flex XC 3401 VRG Dual Action Orbital Polisher" and the book it is NOT wrapped in cellophane, I would have put the book back

Scenario#3:
    I am an experienced detailer and walk in to Books-a-Million and head to the "how-to" section and am looking for a book to help me improve my skills. I come across Mike's book call "How to use the Flex XC 3401 VRG Dual Action Orbital Polisher" and the book it is wrapped in cellophane, I would have bought the book and probably could not have waited to go home to learn how to "Master the Beast". I open the book and well it is a pretty good single read (with some sneaking back in to clarify a couple of things)!!

Scenario#4:
    I am an experienced detailer and walk in to Books-a-Million and head to the "how-to" section and am looking for a book to help me improve my skills. I come across Mike's book call "How to use the Flex XC 3401 VRG Dual Action Orbital Polisher" and the book it is NOT wrapped in cellophane, I would have speed read through it and would have put the book back.

Scenario #5:
    I am a complete newb detailer and walk in to Books-a-Million and head to the "how-to" section and am looking for a book to help me improve my skills. I come across Mike's book call "How to use the Flex XC 3401 VRG Dual Action Orbital Polisher" and the book is wrapped in cellophane, I would have had 2 initial reaction 1) I am not there yet but I will come back and get the book later (because the Flex is an "advanced" machine) OR 2) I would have bought the book with much excitement to learn about it, and probably could not have waited to go home to learn how to "Master the Beast". I open the book and it is filled with well organized information I had started reading on the forums, and would have read and re-read this book (at least a couple of time) because it does contains sooooo much valuable information, from pad selection to explanation on claying and the baggie test, the difference between 1-step or 2 step or AIO, to taping and doing test spots etc... Now this book will stay on my bedside table for a couple of months.

Scenario#6:
    I am a complete newb detailer and walk in to Books-a-Million and head to the "how-to" section and am looking for a book to help me improve my skills. I come across Mike's book call "How to use the Flex XC 3401 VRG Dual Action Orbital Polisher" and the book is NOT wrapped in cellophane. I pick it up, open it, go to the in-house coffee bar, stay there for an hour reading..... then I go to the cashier to buy the book because it has soooo much valuable information. Now this book will stay on my bedside table for a couple of months.

This book was written for the mass, not for experienced detailers. As explained in the review and the scenario the title page is somewhat misleading. I do believe that a more suite title would be "Introduction to Detailing using the Flex XC 3401 VRG Dual Action Polisher".

@ Dan, I do have another book from Mike and I would say that there is a lot of redundancy in this book. Awesome information for someone fresh into detailing but definitely not an advanced course.

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot to thank the people that did post a comment. It was hard for me to write an honest review, but I had promised, and unfortunately in fullfilling my promise I had to be tough on someone I have nothing but the utmost respect for.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast