autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Quick Review: Prima Amigo

When it comes to the winter prep of my vehicles, I'm very pragmatic. I know over the course of the season my car will be encased in ice, covered with snow, sprayed with salt/sand road treatment, and encrusted with all manner of grime. In the coldest spells it will only get a touchless wash. Swirls and marring will happen no matter how careful I am. With that in mind, I don't see the point in correcting the paint when the work will be undone in a matter of a couple months. That drives me to a glaze/cleaner to spruce up the finish under the LSP.

In my hunt to find a good glaze, I stumbled across Amigo. What sold me on Amigo over the competitors is the cleaning and mild correcting ability. This product gives me the surface prep of a paint cleaner, a bit of correction, while offering the filling benefits of a glaze. So, how did it do on my black pear VW?

Ease of use: Very
    I applied this product with a DA on 5.5" foam pads. It was easy on and very easy off. No complaints at all. The only thing I had to be careful with was putting product on the pad. The opening in the pop-up lid is a little big, so it took me a little while to figure the right amount of pressure needed to prevent getting too much product out at one time.

Performance: Good
    No product is perfect in every category, and Amigo is no different. However, it delivers well on all it's claims. The cleaning and MILD correcting abilities were evident. After my first panel I could see the fleck popping and surface was clear with a deep, clean, wet appearance. A few faint bits of marring did dissapear. The bad part about having a perfectly clean surface is the few mild swirls I'd accumulated over the summer stood out a bit more. Don't expect it to work like a finishing polish and remove those marks. The product never claims this ability and I didn't expect it either.

I don't know how much filling ability I was expecting, but I was hoping for a bit more with Amigo. If filling ability is your only goal, Poorboy's Blackhole seems to fill and hide minor defects a bit better.

Surface feel is very slick, and you start to notice it immediately. When applying the product with a DA, I could feel the difference in the way the machine traveled over the paint in the second pass! At that point it was gliding across the surface it was so smooth.

Conclusion: I liked the product and I'll recommend it to any one with a car in good condition looking for a 1-step prep before applying the LSP of their choice. It's easy to use, performs well, and makes the vehicle look really good. It's a keeper in my book.

I'm torn as to whether I like Amigo or Black Hole better. Amigo has cleaning ability and leaves the surface slicker than Black Hole. Black Hole, from my experience, has better filling ability. I also noticed Black Hole darkens paint and hides pear/metallic flake in black paint better that Amigo. I have a love/hate relationship with metallic black paint. I like the flake's ability to hide defects/dirt, but hate the way it makes the car look dusty when clean in direct sunlight.

On a blue, red, gray, or silver car I can see Amigo producing even better results than I experienced. Regardless, it's a keeper.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Quick Review: Prima Amigo

Great write up!

Might be added to my arsenal soon
    Owner @ Personal Touch Auto Detailing
    Facebook: Personal Touch Auto Detailing
    Instagram: @personaltouchautodetailingva

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Quick Review: Prima Amigo

Very good product.
    2018 Colorado ZR2