autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Grit Guard Dual Bucket Washing System RANT

For the past month I have been replacing all my worn out detailing tools in anticipation of a new car I have on order. I went ahead and purchased this Dual Bucket grit guard system for 2 bucket wash's.

Normally I would go ahead and purchase a few buckets from Amazon but a couple features stood out to me about the system being offered by Autogeek. Product description below :

Grit Guard® Dual Bucket Washing System - CLEAR

I really liked the idea of having clear, graduated buckets as well as the WASH/RINSE labels.

The only problem with the system is the buckets. I dont know when they have changed but they are now narrow at the base/bottom. Making them WAY to small to fit the GG (Grit Guards). The GG no longer bottoms out in the bucket. They sit about 1 to 2 inch's to high and its very difficult to get them leveled out cause they are being wedged in place.

This causes 2 problems. First problem is you will now need about 1.5 gallons of liquid to pass the top of the GG. And secondly the GG is now less effective as the solution can slosh around underneath them as the bottom fins are rendered useless by not being seated against the bottom of the pail.

All in all I am very unhappy with the purchase. I find it difficult to believe that i'm the first person to point this out to Autogeek. And if thats true, I dont see why they would continue to sell this system to its customers. Just because a distributor has received a different product from the manufacturer than expected with a high cost, doesnt mean its fair for it to be passed on to the consumer to take the hit. Maybe i'm overthinking this one, but I do remember a thread about the problem with the buckets from over a year ago. I tried to search for the thread but I cant find it anymore.

Anyway, I do NOT recommend anyone purchase this product until the buckets are changed and its noted on the webpage. I should have just bought the parts separately and picked up 2 graduated painter buckets from Amazon like I originally intended to do.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Grit Guard Dual Bucket Washing System RANT

Why didn't you just buy a different colour gamma seal lid & grit guard to distinguish between the soap and rinse buckets? I bought two standard 5 gallon Polyethylene buckets, marked that outside of the buckets in 1 gallon increments, and have a black gamma seal lid and grit guard to distinguish it as the rinse bucket, and a white lid/grit guard as the soap bucket.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ijm5012 View Post
    Why didn't you just buy a different colour gamma seal lid & grit guard to distinguish between the soap and rinse buckets? I bought two standard 5 gallon Polyethylene buckets, marked that outside of the buckets in 1 gallon increments, and have a black gamma seal lid and grit guard to distinguish it as the rinse bucket, and a white lid/grit guard as the soap bucket.
    funny thing is I did EXACTLY that lastnight from amazon. bought a red and blue gamma seal lid combo and two graduated 5 gallon clear painter buckets. Basically identical to the old setup I just replaced. I put the Autogeek 5 gallon pails in the back of my truck and will use them to measure Hydraulic fluid from our 55 gallon drum. lol.

my point still stands, why is autogeek shipping these buckets if they know they dont work very well with grit guards ?? the setup isn't cheap. it cost me 120 dollars for 2 dollys and diamond plate splice plate.

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

What did Autogeek Customer Service say when you called them on the telephone?

Post Thanks / Like

Well one he got them off amazon but you can buy just the grit guard as and get a couple of buckets from Lowes or home do pot for about 3 dollars that will fit other buckets I have bought I have the same problem. But the Lowes ones work fine.
    Detailing in Colorado since 2001

Post Thanks / Like
    IME only way you are guaranteed a bucket that fits GGs well is to buy it locally and bring a GG to the store with you. You know you can by these buckets & gamma seals at Lowes / Home Depot / any hardware store for a few bucks?

That way you will be guaranteed the bucket will fit the GG correctly. A lot of these buckets seem to change from time to time - so it's hit or miss wether a certain bucket fits.

All this being said, I'd be pissed if I bought them as a set & they were not right. However, I'm not sure exactly how high the GG sits in the bucket - but as long as it seals the edges it should work fine. Most don't sit directly on the bottom.

Post Thanks / Like
    Switch to one bucket method and be done with the GG. I had the same problem with the GG two bucket set I bought from AG a while back. Not fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Two buckets...what's that? Since going to a coating, I have no need for such things. Foam it up, power rinse, final wipe/dry with waterless wash or Aquawax... Done....or wash with any good rinseless wash...done.
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    What did Autogeek Customer Service say when you called them on the telephone?
    I dont think I ever typed that I called them. My problems on that end are always taken care of by Meghan via PM. She's excellent. Always has been. thats not the issue. The issue is stated in my OP.

But it seems you missed that point so I will repeat it more clearly defined :

Calling Autogeek customer service does absolutely NOTHING to help out my fellow detailers to warn them to avoid purchasing this setup till the bucket issue has been resolved and sorted. Does it ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    IME only way you are guaranteed a bucket that fits GGs well is to buy it locally and bring a GG to the store with you. You know you can by these buckets & gamma seals at Lowes / Home Depot / any hardware store for a few bucks?

That way you will be guaranteed the bucket will fit the GG correctly. A lot of these buckets seem to change from time to time - so it's hit or miss wether a certain bucket fits.

All this being said, I'd be pissed if I bought them as a set & they were not right. However, I'm not sure exactly how high the GG sits in the bucket - but as long as it seals the edges it should work fine. Most don't sit directly on the bottom.
    I agree. Theres also 2 other options. Buy the grit guard matching pail (sold by grit guard). Or another online retailer sells a store branded pail and grit guard setup for a good price and they test them BEFORE shipping to customers. Something I would have expected AG to do as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast