autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

SONUS ION Paint Coating

Just applied the new Sonus Ion Paint Coating, 2014.5 Toyota Camry,

A few pics, cloudy outside, apologize the pics are not better, and not enough full body shots. The few times the sun was out, the metallic sparkled......Barcelona Red metallic

Process was

Wash FK1 #1016 wash'n'wax concentrate--(my fav shampoo)
    Clay--OptiClay, with DoDo Juice- Born Slippery Lube
    Sonus Ion paint Coating, with nice enclosed applicator
    Wheels received Wolf's Hard Body Coating

Sonus Ion paint coating reminded me of Powerlock, green color, etc...maybe a polycharged version of Powerlock.
    It is thick, yet spreads thin. After 10 mins, it had melted/bonded into the paint, it didn't leave much of a haze. I removed after 20 mins., could have waited longer... removal was effortless, but I was crunched for time.

I do enjoy this coating/sealant over others, just wasn't ready to try a permanent or semi-permanent glass coating as of yet.
    This is a nice alternative for someone who wants durability, but isn't so sure about applying a quartz or resin coating.
    The car is just a week old, delivered to the dealer in July, I just picked it up last week.
    Plus I already scratched the front bumper with the edge of a microfiber, removing the Ion coating..lol

Disappointed cars now days do not have body side molding.. a few trips to the grocery store and this car will be broke in I am sure...

Sonus Paint Coating made a 100% improvement on brand new paint...looks like a pool of hot lava.

Probably try it out on my daily driver-- a 2005 Ford Taurus.. with a very neutral color-- AZ beige metallic----pics when this happens
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SONUS ION Paint Coating-tn_dsc01516-jpg   SONUS ION Paint Coating-tn_dsc01517-jpg   SONUS ION Paint Coating-tn_dsc01518-jpg   SONUS ION Paint Coating-tn_dsc01519-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: SONUS ION Paint Coating

C'mon man, how about some more details?

How was the application? Easy, hard, similar to some of the other spray coatings, like DG, PBL, etc.?

How's the slickness?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. This is one of them to keep an eye on.
    No panel wipe? was it easy to wipe off? Flashes quickly?

Post Thanks / Like

Product was thick, yet it broke down nice and thin, ( green like Powerlock) I applied by hand with enclosed applicator. It didn't really flash off, the haze just slowly disappeared over 15 mins, you could see it there, but barely. Melted into the paint , would be a good description.

Removal was as easy as it gets....easier than any other sealant I have used--( Zaino BFWD, Powerlock, #845, Jetseal)

I will update when I use it on my DD. This car was delivered to the dealer in late July,
    I bought it 3 weeks later. I am sure just about any LSP would have looked good, with brand new paint.

However, this was probably the easiest removal of anything I have used. That is after 20 mins on the paint.... 20 mins on the paint for some products will make a grown man cry...

I really suspect this is almost a super polycharged version of Powerlock

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    C'mon man, how about some more details?

How was the application? Easy, hard, similar to some of the other spray coatings, like DG, PBL, etc.?

How's the slickness?

Honestly I have never used a glass coating other than Hard Body.

I have used DODO Juice Iron Gloss sealant, and Sonus Ion blows it away in price and application/removal.

Post Thanks / Like

Easier removal than BFWD is saying something!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nubaseal View Post
    Thanks. This is one of them to keep an eye on.
    No panel wipe? was it easy to wipe off? Flashes quickly?
    Does not flash away like Hard Body.. at first you have a haze like any sealant, then after about 15 mins, it just sort of melts into the paint as the bonding takes place. hardly any residue left. I had more residue left to buff off with the Wolf's Hard Body, than I did with Sonus Ion.

Just clayed and QD afterwards, before applying Sonus ION--- No need to prep like a glass coating, unless you really want to, if you are a purist.

The results I obtained, I do not think could be improved on. I tried a second coat on the hood, but felt nor visually sensed any improvement over 1 nice solid worked in coat.
    In fact after 4 hours cure time, the paint was so slick, I could hardly apply a second coat.

I applied rather thick, and I would say i have about 5 more whole car coats left for a mid size sedan

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting. So it's more like a super sealant than a coating?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WillWashesCars View Post
    Interesting. So it's more like a super sealant than a coating?

It is a hybrid, it is a sealant that thinks it is a coating... It isn't a coating like Cquartz or Opticoat, etc.

But it will crush BFWD, and any other competitors in the sealant spectrum..my initial take.

This car will sit outside 24/7 exposed to the elements, I will update this thread a few months from now.. or the next rain-- everyone loves beading pics.......

Post Thanks / Like

no sun to work with, but gloss is really taking effect 7 hours after application....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SONUS ION Paint Coating-tn_dsc01524-jpg   SONUS ION Paint Coating-tn_dsc01521-jpg   SONUS ION Paint Coating-tn_dsc01522-jpg  

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast