autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Review: BLACKFIRE Total Trim and Tire Sealant vs Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant

This review is for the BLACKFIRE Total Trim and Tire Sealant (BTTTS) that was given away to forum members (THANKS!!!). Also I am comparing it to Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant (WETS).

Vehicle: 1997 Honda Accord

This vehicle is VERY neglected and I honestly don’t remember the last time it was washed. It sits outside 24/7 and I use it to drive back and forth to work only. It has clear coat failure on the roof, hood, left fender and front bumper cover. The trim is very faded so I figured it would be the ultimate test. Photos were taken with my crappy cell phone camera.

Treatment areas: Top of the front license plate frame & Passenger door pillars

Both products are $19.99 for a four ounce bottle. Very little product was needed and both bottles should last a long while.

BTTTS: BLACKFIRE Total Trim & Tire Sealant, plastic trim restorer, tire coating, long lasting tire shine

The BTTTS has an almost shampoo like consistency and a slight lilac/purple color. It has a light chemical smell, but it is not over powering.

WETS: Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant, rubber trim sealant, rubber protectant, exterior trim products, metal sealer

The WETS has a thinner consistency and a slight greenish/clear color. It has a stronger chemical smell.

Each test area was scrubbed 5 times using a 4:1 dilution of Mother’s APC.

First up is the front license plate frame. This is a lightly textured plastic.

Before

I applied the BTTTs to the right side and on the left side I applied WETS.

Coating #1 of BTTTS

Coating #2 BTTTS

Coating #1 of WETS

Coating #2 WETS

At this point I really liked the WETS. After waiting about 10 minutes I checked the results

It seems the BTTTS penetrated more and produced a darker color.

Next up is the Passenger door pillars. This is a smooth, non-textured plastic.

Before

Again I used the BTTTS on the right side and the WETS on the left.

Coating #1 of BTTTS

Coating #2 BTTTS

Coating #1 of WETS

Coating #2 WETS

Again the BTTTS won out.

In the end for me the BTTTS produced a darker, more restored color on the test areas. Again this is a test on extremely faded and neglected plastic. Both products were easy to use and I will have no problem using either on my new 2014 Nissan Rogue, which has tons of exterior plastic trim.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: BLACKFIRE Total Trim and Tire Sealant vs Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant

i hope you have better luck than i had on two different trucks washed off in two weeks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: BLACKFIRE Total Trim and Tire Sealant vs Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant

Quote Originally Posted by bill walsh View Post
    i hope you have better luck than i had on two different trucks washed off in two weeks
    blackfire trime sealant? what was your prep prior to applying? was the trim textured?
    Back to the full-time grind.

Post Thanks / Like

yes blackfire trim&tire sealant clean plastic with apc 4-1 and took eraser cleaner and put on trim gel trim wiped off per label on both smooth and textured

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a PBMG "Family Feud"

Post Thanks / Like

It rained later that night so I checked the results in the morning. The BTTTS beaded better and the WETS had spots leftover after I wiped the water off. This was on the license plate frame, the passenger side pillars didn't change.

Post Thanks / Like

yes blackfire trim&tire sealant clean plastic with apc 4-1 and took eraser cleaner and put on trim gel trim wiped off per label on both smooth and textured
    whats eraser cleaner? carpro eraser?
    Back to the full-time grind.

Post Thanks / Like

Washed off my trim also, it is water based, so I expected some degrading of the product, just didnt last as well as I had hoped. Browned up my tires too.. not sure if it is tire "blooming", the tires are only 3 months old, although MG #40 rubber & vinyl did not brown the tires...

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool comparison! Thanks for posting.

No where in the directions does it state to use Eraser prior to applying the sealant. Thoroughly clean the trim using BF APC and then apply the sealant.

Quote Originally Posted by knightmare View Post
    Washed off my trim also, it is water based, so I expected some degrading of the product, just didnt last as well as I had hoped. Browned up my tires too.. not sure if it is tire "blooming", the tires are only 3 months old, although MG #40 rubber & vinyl did not brown the tires...
    Make sure the tires are squeaky clean first (think Tuf Shine clean). If any previous dressings remain, the sealant will not bond properly.