autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Review - Chemical Guys Leather Protectant Serum

Disclaimer: Meghan sent me this product along with a few others to review. Thank you Meghan for sending it out to me.

Product: Chemical Guys Leather Protectant Serum

Product link: TBD as soon as Autogeek gets into the Chemical Guys section.

Price: $12.99 (from CG's site)

Quantity: 4 oz

Product description: Not Available in the Autogeek Chemical Guys section.

About Leather Serum

Chemical Guys Leather Protectant Serum coats, conditions, and protects leather seats, upholstery, and goods. Normal wear and tear, harsh UV sunlight, and improper cleaning makes leather feel dry, look faded, and even causes it to crack and break. Leather Serum is a unique protectant that restores a soft supple feel to leather, and protects against fading from harsh UV rays and light stains from normal use. Simply rub the Leather Serum into the leather piece like lotion on skin, then buff off any excess with a premium microfiber towel. Leather Serum helps repel body oils and moisture that can stain leather, and harsh UV sunlight that fades and damages leather. Treat and protect natural or sealed leather seats, dashboards, and steering wheels in any automobile to maintain a showroom-new look and feel. Also try Leather Serum on leather apparel like boots, shoes, jackets, motorcycle gear, stick bags, and briefcases for extended protection and a like-new look. For best results, pair Leather Serum up with Chemical Guys Leather Cleaner, brushes, applicators, and towels on any leather piece inside or outside any automobile. Choose Chemical Guys Leather Protectant Serum for a like-new look and feel on any leather piece.

Prevent Damage To Keep Leather Looking And Feeling New

Leather is the skin off of an animal. Just like your own skin, leather can dry out, crack, fade, and discolor from normal wear and tear, and exposure to harsh elements. UV sunlight, constant use, and oils and dirt from your own skin can ruin the look and feel of leather seats and upholstery. Chemical Guys Leather Serum is one solution that helps keep leather looking, feeling, and smelling brand new. By moisturizing the hide and blocking harmful UV rays, Leather Serum helps prevent cracking, fading, and discoloration that makes older leather and upholstery look terrible and fall apart. The durable coating penetrates deep into the pores of natural and synthetic leather surfaces, sealing and protecting the hide against staining from normal exposure to body oils, sweat, and liquids. Preventing damage in the first place is the best way to keep upholstery looking and feeling new. Treat your leather to a new look and feel with Chemical Guys Leather Serum.

Versatile Formula Protects Everywhere

Automakers use leather all over interior surfaces. From seats to door panels, armrests to center consoles, dashboards, door pillars, convertible top covers, and even some headliners are all trimmed in leather. Whether it’s natural tanned leather, durable sealed leather, or full-synthetic leatherette or vinyl pleather upholstery, treat it all with Chemical Guys Leather Serum. The highly-refined water-based formula penetrates through the fine pores of any leather surface to nourish and protect the piece from within the hide itself. Spread Leather Serum onto interior automobile surfaces to repel harmful UV rays and body oils, and to protect against stains from minor spills. Take Leather Serum inside the home or office and protect leather chairs, couches, boots, shoes, handbags, briefcases, and other apparel and accessories. Cheap leather conditioners and cleaners make leather look greasy and shiny. Leather Serum finishes with a satin matte sheen, the natural look of new leather. Professionals and detailing enthusiasts who know better choose Chemical Guys Leather Serum to protect fine leather and durable synthetic upholstery, apparel, and accessories inside, and outside their automobiles.

Durable Leather Coating Technology

What good is any leather protectant product if it doesn’t go the distance? Chemical Guys Leather Protectant Serum penetrates deep into leather surfaces to nourish and protect against UV rays, liquids, and oils. The long-lasting formula protects and enhances a new leather look and feel for up to 16 continuous months. One detail with Leather Serum is enough to help resist cracking and fading from harsh UV sunlight for months, so you can enjoy a summer with a top down or skip out on expensive window tint. Seal up your brand new leather shoes and boots to help repel rainwater, spills, and accidents, so you can wipe them dry to avoid permanent staining and damage. Keep the kids and pets off the new expensive furniture, or seal it up with Leather Serum and let them roam around the house worry free. The possibilities are endless, and Chemical Guys Leather Serum is the professional’s choice for protecting any fine leather piece inside or outside any automobile.

What's The Difference Between Leather Serum And Leather Conditioner?

Leather Protectant Serum is a protective coating that shields leather from withering in the harshest elements. It finishes with a natural sheen without any extra glossy shine, and is ideal for newer, clean, or well-maintained leather. Leather Conditioner restores mildly-weathered leather products. It is a mild cleaner and conditioner that restores a like-new look and feel to older leather pieces, and enhances a mild shine to leather hides.

Why Buy This Product?

• Protects leather against UV sunlight, fading, cracking, and staining for up to 16 months
    • Restores a stock new matte leather sheen, no greasy oily shine
    • Durable coating formula penetrates deep into the pores of leather
    • Keep leather seats, door panels, dashboards, and center consoles looking fresh and new
    • Works on natural leather, modern sealed leather, and synthetic vinyl leather
    • Perfect for automobile upholstery, furniture, apparel, accessories, and more

I didn't see this product in the Chemical Guys section, so I am not sure if this is new product from Chemical Guys or a new future product offering from Autogeek. The above information comes from the Chemical Guys site. The thing that stood out to me the most is the claim that it will last up to 16 months. I see that and go wow that is coating territory. The key words being "up to". If someone gets 3-4 months out of it, then it still technically falls within that "up to 16 month range".

Seems like a lot of claims for this product. I will be doing long term testing on the seat of my daily driver to see if it lives up to these claims.

When I first received the bottle I opened it to see how it smelled. This has a nice leather scent to it. Not overly strong. Overall a nice pleasant leather scent. It could possibly linger after applying it on the seat but I didn't notice any leather scent the following day.

A look at the front of the bottle with the item number as well as a brief description about the product.

The rear of the bottle contains the same type of description on what the product does along with the directions on how to use it.

I started off by first cleaning the seat. For that I used a soft bristled brush and Meguiar's D181 Leather Cleaner. I have not cleaned these seats in months after I had my Grand Prix repainted. They definitely need a good cleaning. For this review I only cleaned the driver side seat as well as applying the leather protectant to the seat.

After I cleaned the seat I went ahead and applied the leather protectant. I used a microfiber applicator to apply it.

A 50/50 of it on the seat. It does have a slight darkening effect as well as a hint of sheen. The sheen turns into a matte sheen after it's buffed.

A couple more photos from a farther distance.

One of the seat completely coated in leather protectant serum. Left a nice matte appearance which gave the leather a like new appearance. I let the product sit for no more than a minute before I buffed it. There are no directions on whether or not it needs to sit on the leather surface for a certain amount of time.

I tried putting a little water a few minutes after I had applied it and noticed that it was removed a bit in those areas. That led me to believe that this product needs some time to set up/cure for a period of time. I retouched up those areas and let it cure overnight. I came back the next day and placed a little water onto the surface and noticed that the protectant was not removed this time. The water was safely removed without touching the protectant. It left some hydrophobic properties behind but nothing compared to the Cquartz leather coating which I have been using as of late. The leather did feel slick the day after. Not slippery. The sheen had toned down a bit more. The leather looked and felt new.

I would definitely say that this is more of a sealer for leather rather than a coating. Somewhere along the lines of Meguiar's Gold Class Leather Sealer Treatment and Gyeon Leather Coat. I will keep this thread updated on how it's doing.

Overall the product went on easy and left a nice finish behind just as described. Protection looks to be good at least from an initial stand point. This would suit those who are looking for leather protectant and not a conditioner. Give it a try.

I held off on this write up for one week to provide some sort of feedback. After 1 week the protectant has held up fine. I still feel the slickness as I enter and exit the car. I will report back in one month to see how it is holding up.

Here are the initial application videos.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review - Chemical Guys Leather Protectant Serum

That's nothing new.I have that in my garage sitting in the cabinet for a year now. Silkshine is way better than that.Not a bad product just no wow factor pretty much the same as anything else in that category.

Post Thanks / Like

Great review Mike! You touched all the important aspects for this product.
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome review Mike. This product was formerly known as Leather Serum, IDK if there was a reformulation along with the name change. I think this happens to be one of the better product offerings from Chemical Guys. I use it on my own car and when I use it on a customer car they are always impressed by how new they perceive the leather to be once they get the car back. I enjoy the smell as well.
    Cherry on Top Auto Detailing, Fishkill NY

https://www.facebook.com/CherryOnTopDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post
    Great review Mike! You touched all the important aspects for this product.
    Thanks Marc.

Quote Originally Posted by ekennett View Post
    Awesome review Mike. This product was formerly known as Leather Serum, IDK if there was a reformulation along with the name change. I think this happens to be one of the better product offerings from Chemical Guys. I use it on my own car and when I use it on a customer car they are always impressed by how new they perceive the leather to be once they get the car back. I enjoy the smell as well.
    Thanks. You could be right about this being a new reformulation of leather serum as I went back to the CG site and don't see leather serum on there but I do see it in the Autogeek store. This is actually the first chemical guys product I have ever used. But it seems to be working rather well. I enjoyed using it. I will be using it on all the leather on my mom's car the next time I clean up her interior. Mine is the current test subject.