autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Foam Cannon: Over it

I'm a weekend warrior and I have an interest in having a clean DD for my short commute to work. I spent some time on the forum learning about all the products available, and I've placed a few hundred $$ worth of orders so far. The product I was most excited about was the Auto Geek Foam Cannon that I bought a couple months ago. I have been itching for the weather to turn so that I could play with it. YouTube videos look like a lot of fun, and I thought the foam "dwelling" on the paint would be great for my historically-somewhat-neglected city car.

I bought a gas powered PW from Costco (Simpson, with a Honda engine) and hooked up the cannon. I put in a couple ounces of dodo juice - born to be mild, filled up the rest of the reservoir with warm water, made all the connections and pointed the "business end" of the cannon at the car. It was soapy water, at best. Hmmph. I adjusted the knob on top from far left (open) to far right (closed). Fully opened and fully closed the nozzle. Still no "foam". This whole time it was leaking on my jeans (I've remedied the leaking now, by using some new teflon tape at the fittings). Finally, in almost desperation, I flipped the wand upside down (with the idea that gravity may help get the soap into the high pressure water, and create foam). It worked somewhat better, so I finished washing the car that way. But it was still definitely not "foam".

I thought maybe the dodo juice was to blame, so I ordered chemical guys - Maxi Suds II (I also ordered the Honeydew Snow Foam, just to be sure it wasn't the shampoo). Got a chance to wash the car on this past Saturday morning with the Maxi Suds, and the verdict: same disappointing results. But this time, I just took the tank off the foam cannon and dumped the shampoo directly into my bucket. Stuck the tip of the pressure washer in the bucket to get some bubbles, and went on with my business.

Anyway. Not sure whether I have extremely hard water, (although the shampoo bubbles up just fine in my bucket) but I'm done with the foam cannon for now. Just my $.02.
    '06 Audi A4

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Foam Cannon: Over it

Any pics or vids?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JSou View Post
    Any pics or vids?
    No. It just looks like water, but when it lands on something dark like a tinted window, it's got a little white to it.
    '06 Audi A4

Post Thanks / Like

I have hard water... I use a 2000PSI electric Karcher X Series Machine with the DI Foam Cannon... I have used CG Citrus Wash, Citrus Wash & Gloss, Honeydew Snow Foam, Optimum Car Wash, and Ironx Snow Soap (just to name a few) and always get outstanding results.

^CG Citrus Wash & Gloss

^Honeydew Snow foam (after dwelling for a couple of minutes)

^This is a car I worked on just a couple of days ago. This was foamed with CG Citrus wash. Approximately 3-4oz of product in the reservoir, and the rest was warm water. The solution was then mixed up and sprayed... nice, thick foam every time.

... I could post tons of pictures of nice, thick foam.

You mentioned changing to various types of shampoos, did you ever try adding more product? ie 5 oz of soap? 6oz? etc? just to see if that was your issue.

Retired Professional Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds more like user error I havr insanely hard water and I get great foam with a electric low gmp power washer. Don't fill the whole reservoir only fill it half way with water. How much soap are you using? You use a lot more soap with a foam cannon so you may not be using enough soap

Post Thanks / Like

I was going to say it must be the DoDo but since you tried other shampoo's with the same lame results i was stunned. How much product are you using?? Typically you want about 3-4, sometimes even 5 capfuls of a shampoo. I use 4 capfuls for SnowFoam with warm water (add warm water first, then the soap to avoid foaming inside the cannon). Once you put it all in and attach to pressure washer, shake it a little bit to get it all mixed it.

You should be good then, if not, something is wrong mechanically.
    What's the GPM of the pressure washer?
    CURRENT: Happily Retired
    PAST: Owner at Clean N' Shiny, Chicago Auto Pros

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure that you did not use too much Teflon tape. Excess tape around the threads can get sucked into the tubing and cause poor or no performance at all.
    Buddy

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like your foam cannon is defective! Mine can put 3/4 of an inch of thick frothy foam on any car with pretty much any soap.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zmcgovern45 View Post
    I have hard water... I use a 2000PSI electric Karcher X Series Machine with the DI Foam Cannon... I have used CG Citrus Wash, Citrus Wash & Gloss, Honeydew Snow Foam, Optimum Car Wash, and Ironx Snow Soap (just to name a few) and always get outstanding results.

^CG Citrus Wash & Gloss

^Honeydew Snow foam (after dwelling for a couple of minutes)

^This is a car I worked on just a couple of days ago. This was foamed with CG Citrus wash. Approximately 3-4oz of product in the reservoir, and the rest was warm water. The solution was then mixed up and sprayed... nice, thick foam every time.

... I could post tons of pictures of nice, thick foam.

You mentioned changing to various types of shampoos, did you ever try adding more product? ie 5 oz of soap? 6oz? etc? just to see if that was your issue.
    Thanks for the reply. That's the kind of foam action I was hoping for! I didn't try adding 5-6 oz of shampoo (seemed like a lot, considering I ordered a 16oz bottle)... guess I could try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by wompasaurus View Post
    Sounds more like user error I havr insanely hard water and I get great foam with a electric low gmp power washer. Don't fill the whole reservoir only fill it half way with water. How much soap are you using? You use a lot more soap with a foam cannon so you may not be using enough soap
    Ok, thanks. ~2oz of Shampoo +/-

Quote Originally Posted by GenesisCoupe View Post
    I was going to say it must be the DoDo but since you tried other shampoo's with the same lame results i was stunned. How much product are you using?? Typically you want about 3-4, sometimes even 5 capfuls of a shampoo. I use 4 capfuls for SnowFoam with warm water (add warm water first, then the soap to avoid foaming inside the cannon). Once you put it all in and attach to pressure washer, shake it a little bit to get it all mixed it.

You should be good then, if not, something is wrong mechanically.
    What's the GPM of the pressure washer?
    I can try using more product. First I used a 3000psi gas @ 2.4GPM, now I'm using an electric 1800psi 1.5GPM
    '06 Audi A4

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Audi X2 View Post
    Make sure that you did not use too much Teflon tape. Excess tape around the threads can get sucked into the tubing and cause poor or no performance at all.
    Ok, thanks. I don't think I used too much, and the performance was the same before and after (except the part where it leaked before, that's fixed now)
    '06 Audi A4

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast