autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Is More Foam and Soap Better? Meguiars Gold Class in the MTM Hydro Foam Cannon

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqvLEVH7D_M]Is More Car Soap Better? Meguiars Gold Class Car Shampoo in the MTM Hydro Foam Cannon ! - YouTube[/video]

Some people wonder if they load their bottle with soap if it will produce thicker foam, which in turn should cling better. Also if you saturate the panel with snow foam that it will cling more and thus clean more. A few months ago we decided to test it out for ourselves, Andrew a fellow detailer is the one foaming the van while I recorded. We loaded a bottle with 4" / ~16 oz of Meg's Gold Class Wash diluted the rest with warm water coupled with his gas power washer model shown at the end of the video. We then recreated something along the lines of a blizzard and avalanche.

Overall I found this to simply be a waste of soap, the soap wasn't any thicker than what I typically use Gold Class at which is 4 oz due to it's low dilution ratio of 1 oz per gallon. Repeatedly foaming the panel with excessive amounts of snow foam didn't produce a cleaner surface or any better clinging action. One thing I can be sure of is that full coverage was met lol (for the panel). We chose the van as it would be the toughest match being vertical while also giving a nice big canvas to observe the soap.

Would love to hear your thoughts on foaming a vehicle and what you find works best for you?

Bonus foaming videos

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNwTG_5fIDs]Meguiars Foam Cannon #62 Car Wash Shampoo Foaming Off-Roading SUV - YouTube[/video]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMxGEidNiGE]SON1C Wax ProtoFoam 1 : Home Made Snow Foam Car Wash - Foaming Ford Edge - YouTube[/video]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxs-OgFppBw]CarPro Iron-X Soap Gel Review in Wash Bucket and MTM Hydro Foam Cannon SON1C Synopsis 72 - YouTube[/video]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gd0Ru4WfG0I]Chemical Guys Maxi-Suds II 2 MTM Hydro Foam Cannon Gun Torch Red Ford Mustang - YouTube[/video]

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is More Foam and Soap Better? Meguiars Gold Class in the MTM Hydro Foam Cannon

I view "foaming" as just another form of entertainment. And...Considering the costs to have all of the necessary "foaming-tools/supplies": Can become an expensive proposition.

Just hope our Good Ol' Uncle Sam doesn't start levying an
    Entertainment Tax on the: Folks that be a-foaming!

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like
    What is your bottom line recommendation for foam cannon soap? You've done a bunch of demos. For me its about cleaning ability and not about the foam. I still prefer a Gilmour foam gun coupled with single bucket rinse only bucket.
    In my day we didn't have the Internet, iPods,iPads, or smart phones....but we had some really bad-azz cars.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is More Foam and Soap Better? Meguiars Gold Class in the MTM Hydro Foam Cannon

Quote Originally Posted by FUNX725 View Post
    I view "foaming" as just another form of entertainment. And...Considering the costs to have all of the necessary "foaming-tools/supplies": Can become an expensive proposition.

Bob
    So the foamed soap won't do anything in your opinion? I think the general idea is the foam will suspend loose dirt particles until you rinse. Why wont it do that? Does it need agitation? Enlighten me here. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wlshephard View Post
    So the foamed soap won't do anything in your opinion? I think the general idea is the foam will suspend loose dirt particles until you rinse. Why wont it do that? Does it need agitation? Enlighten me here. Thanks
    -If the dirt particles are "loose", they won't need to be suspended by some foam---SUDS, as it used to be called. A stream of water from a hose, or pressure washer, will be all that it takes.

-I'll aver that Foam [aka: Suds] doesn't do the cleaning.
    Where did the idea, that they do, originate from?

-Yes...In my experience:
    "Agitation" is needed to remove contaminates like
    road film, bug exoskeletons, bird defecation, etc.

-How in the World did we ever clean (wash) our vehicles,
    before we became fraught with this foaming-frenzy?
    Wasn't the two-bucket system enough to worry about!

Bob
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

-If the dirt particles are "loose", they won't need to be suspended by some foam---SUDS, as it used to be called. A stream of water from a hose, or pressure washer, will be all that it takes.

-I'll aver that Foam [aka: Suds] doesn't do the cleaning.
    Where did the idea, that they do, originate from?

-Yes...In my experience:
    "Agitation" is needed to remove contaminates like
    road film, bug exoskeletons, bird defecation, etc.

-How in the World did we ever clean (wash) our vehicles,
    before we became fraught with this foaming-frenzy?
    Wasn't the two-bucket system enough to worry about!

Bob
    Thanks for the info.

Post Thanks / Like

Bob
    I agree completely. I also agree that I am very entertained by using my foam cannon. I will do less than 10 cars a year that are not my own, so I enjoy anything that will give me something extra to experiment on..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cshamilton View Post
    I agree completely. I also agree that I am very entertained by using my foam cannon. I will do less than 10 cars a year that are not my own, so I enjoy anything that will give me something extra to experiment on..
    Well I'm so very happy for you then!

Bob
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like
    Lol, I too get great joy out of watching the foam "work"

Sent from my XT1030 using AG Online
    "Dirt likes detergent so much better than the surface that it's attached to, it'll leave that surface to go hang out with the soap"...aim4squirrels

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I'm so very happy for you then!

Bob
    I'm also a tightwad and agree that if I didn't have one I wouldn't buy one. I was very disappointed when I realized its limitations.

Still fun. And it makes me seem less crazy when my friends come over and the first thing they say is "ohh... You use a 5 gallon bucket, that's pretty serious" and then I get the second one out. I always feel insane when one of my friends come over. I get the foam cannon and they think my obsession is grounded. They love it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast