autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Review: 3.5 inch backing plate and 5 Inch Hybrid Pads on 7424XP

Hello, so I just wanted to share how happy I am with this setup. I accidentally ordered some 5 inch LC Hybrid pads not knowing that they had a beveled edge and required a smaller backing plate. After I go them I decided I would give them a shot and ordered a 3.5 inch LC backing plate and a few more pads. I had a chance to use them today on an abused 1996 M3 and the results were terrific. I have a 1995 m3 and am used to my normal 5.5 inch pads/5 inch backing plate having trouble spinning on the twisty side skirts and around some of the edges of the car. This setup spun even with a lot of pressure applied. I was about to spring to get a Rupes LHR15 but this pad/BP combo made me fall back in love with the 7424. Anyways, this was my first review and one of my first posts but I wanted to share my success.

Post Thanks / Like
    That is a good setup, and works like a charm. I do the same with my Griots 6" if not running a 4" pad.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AG Online

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: 3.5 inch backing plate and 5 Inch Hybrid Pads on 7424XP

Not so long ago I've inserted an Hybrid pad (5") on my 3.5" LC backing plate just like you described, and imagined it would work really well based only on how good it looked. Now with your review I'll for sure give it a try using on a real-world situation.

Thanks for sharing!

Kind Regards.
    “Nature is pleased with simplicity. And nature is no dummy”

― Isaac Newton

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Witty4242 View Post
    Hello, so I just wanted to share how happy I am with this setup. I accidentally ordered some 5 inch LC Hybrid pads not knowing that they had a beveled edge and required a smaller backing plate. After I go them I decided I would give them a shot and ordered a 3.5 inch LC backing plate and a few more pads. I had a chance to use them today on an abused 1996 M3 and the results were terrific. I have a 1995 m3 and am used to my normal 5.5 inch pads/5 inch backing plate having trouble spinning on the twisty side skirts and around some of the edges of the car. This setup spun even with a lot of pressure applied. I was about to spring to get a Rupes LHR15 but this pad/BP combo made me fall back in love with the 7424. Anyways, this was my first review and one of my first posts but I wanted to share my success.
    Excellent, I am glad that worked out for you. Do you have to use a different counterweight with that set up? or do you just change out the backing plate and then you are off and running?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 28ONE View Post
    Lol, it's funny because I've just attached the pad to the machine for taking a picture!

Thanks for asking,

That's actually a 5" hybrid yellow polishing pad attached to Meguiar's G220v2. Fits like a glove.

I'm willing to use this setup to test performance, but Flex is like glued to my hands and works so nice with 5" hybrids...

Kind Regards.

― Isaac Newton

Post Thanks / Like

Lol I was actually requesting Witty to show us a picture of the work he did but I'll you enjoy the pic you took buddy

Post Thanks / Like

5" pads to polish a whole car? Would take wayyyy too long, IMO. 5.5" is small enough!! LOL
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 28ONE View Post
    Lol I was actually requesting Witty to show us a picture of the work he did but I'll you enjoy the pic you took buddy
    I (almost) knew, but couldn't resist as I had taken that picture and inserted the pad on machine just to look good on camera lol, thanks for that funny moment! Glad you've liked as well.

I reassure it looks like a nice fit, and soon I can give some feedback on performance.

I know hybrid pads are great on Flex, they are the most durable pads I've dealed with and also cleans easy to brand new condition. They also 'resists' well to pad brush.

Quote Originally Posted by FivePoint.0 View Post
    5" pads to polish a whole car? Would take wayyyy too long, IMO. 5.5" is small enough!! LOL
    Sure mate, 5" for whole car is generally not the preffered choice, only if your being paid for millimeters polishing precision

By the way, the beveled design of 5" hybrids for usage on 4" plates makes them very precise and easy to use on tight spots, like 'bellow side mirrors'. It's easier to get there with a 5" hybrid than with a 4" spot pad (IMO).

For larger panels my go to are 6.5" and after owning the Flex true correction became possible with such 'large' pads.

Apart from getting good results on DA + 5" BP + 5.5" pads, it was becoming a bit tedious for larger cars.

Kind Regards.

― Isaac Newton

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry I don't have any pictures! I actually took a before of one of the really bad panels but forgot to do the after. I really do love how the hybrid pads clean. Half an inch is really no big deal in the big picture. It means 2 maybe 3 extra passes per section. I really do believe this setup corrects better than my 5.5 ccs and 5.5 hex logic paired with the 5 inch backing plate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast