autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trim Restorer Showdown - Round 2 *Updated 7/8/14 (6 month)(Long and Pic heavy)

6 month update:

The 4 at the bottom are still holding up well. None appear to have any signs of fading. The test panel has been exposed to the weather nonstop and seen plenty of weather. I have not washed the panel as frequently as I had planned (nor my own car) and it has not been exposed to normal driving conditions.

It is barely visible in the photo but the tape line along the bottom of the Solution Finish piece is still slightly visible, as is the Black Wow Classic.

When I washed the panel I was a little surprised that UTTG was still beading water very well, despite the visible appearance that it was dead.

The Black Wow Classic is still beading respectably. Solution Finish never did bead water, a trait that makes it a good choice on steps where slipping could be a concern. Black Wow Pro hasn't been beading since the one month update.

Neither of the products below ever showed great beading.

Carmor Fade To New still beads like the first week after application. C4 still beads well but this is the first indication of either outlasting, though beading is low on the list of priorities or indicators for durability.

I will continue to observe and update this thread. The owner of the BMW has been out of the country for the past 6 weeks so I haven't seen it in a while. I hope to see it soon and will post update if/when I do. As I was writing this I realized I also forgot to check the status of the seatbelt buttons so I will include that soon as well.

Pricing Update: Carmor Fade to New has been reduced to $29.95 for the one ounce bottle. That is a sufficient amount for any DIYer to cover their own car (probably a few cars, depending on amount of trim) with a few exceptions such as a Chevy Avalanche. Carmor has also been made available in 4 oz. ($69.95), 16 oz ($225.00), and 32 oz. ($395.00).

I have been asked many times what product(s) I choose to use based upon my test. I have seen many posts on various forums asking for trim restorer recommendations and, until now, I have avoided naming any products and, instead, have linked this thread so they could draw their own conclusion.

My answer:

UTTG has always been my choice for a durable dressing and continues to be. It rarely fails to deliver.

Solution Finish delivers the most natural look (least glossy) and can be used on areas that I would hesitate to use other products, such as steps, door handles, etc.

Carmor Fade to New for the coating category. C4 is an equally capable product and I sometimes prefer the slightly lower gloss for some applications. The deciding factor here (unless the long term durability proves to be vastly different) is price. At half the price of C4 for a 1 oz. bottle it really becomes an easy decision. The newly available 4 oz. container at nearly 1/4 the price per ounce compared to C4 just makes it that much easier for a professional detailer. Carmor has a great product and has been flying under the radar.
    Here is a photo of Carmor being applied to a badly neglected BMW 330i I detailed recently:

For anyone looking for a cost effective option (selling a car, for example) Forever Black is a reasonable choice. It is outclassed by some of the others in this test but it does a decent job for the lowest price.

There will be a round 3!

Thanks to the generosity of someone who shall remain anonymous for the time being, I have received additional products to test.

To be included:

Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant
    Stoner's Trim Shine
    3D Trim Care Protectant
    Duragloss 271
    Carpro DLux

Plus a few others. If you have a product you feel should be included I will be happy to do so if a sample is provided.

For those following this post, I will post a link here when the new thread is started but it might be a while as the process is time consuming.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Trim Restorer Showdown - Round 2 (Long and Pic heavy)

Thanks for the update. This has been a great thread and I have been subscribed from the start. Looking forward to round three!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trim Restorer Showdown - Round 2 *Updated 7/8/14 (6 month)(Long and Pic heavy)

Quote Originally Posted by Nth Degree View Post
    There will be a round 3!

Thanks to the generosity of someone who shall remain anonymous for the time being, I have received additional products to test.

To be included:

Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant
    Stoner's Trim Shine
    3D Trim Care Protectant
    Duragloss 271
    Carpro DLux

Plus a few others. If you have a product you feel should be included I will be happy to do so if a sample is provided.

For those following this post, I will post a link here when the new thread is started but it might be a while as the process is time consuming.

Thanks for the update. Will be interested in Round 3. I would like to see Turtle Wax Jet Black Endura Shine thrown into the mix.

How much of a sample size are you looking at?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trim Restorer Showdown - Round 2 (Long and Pic heavy)

Great test

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Thanks for the update. Will be interested in Round 3. I would like to see Turtle Wax Jet Black Endura Shine thrown into the mix.

How much of a sample size are you looking at?

For most products an ounce or so should be enough. Whatever it takes to cover about 3-4 square feet so I can test a small section on a few different pieces.

Post Thanks / Like

You did bring this review to the Nth Degree!!

Well done and thanks for sharing

https://www.facebook.com/FlawlessFinishDetailing
    Dr. Claude Tremblay, Co-owner/Senior Detailer, Certified CQuartz FINEST Installer

Post Thanks / Like

Solid! I'm looking forward to Round 3.

Post Thanks / Like

I got to see the BMW briefly today. It has been over 8 months since application and been exposed to both winter and summer conditions. The vehicle is dirty so that might be partially responsible for the slightly faded appearance of each of the products. Even though Solution Finish has faded a little more it has held pretty strong after the initial fade. Overall, I am very impressed by all 3 of these products.

Post Thanks / Like

Not often some one actually updates their review so thank you very much for your dedication. I hope WETS does as well as C4 has done.

Post Thanks / Like

So what product would you say offered the longest durability and loudest most obnoxious shine? That is what I look for in my personal cars.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast