autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

REVIEW: Pinnacle Black Label Coating Detailer

So far I have been very impressed with the Pinnacle Black Label line. Definitely living up to its namesake. It goes without saying that when a new product gets introduce I will jump at the opportunity to get it and test it, and hopefully help some of you by reviewing it.

I am now the proud owner of a the PBL coating Detailer and Booster, and will be glad to review both. Today's review however will be on the Detailer.

As you may recall I coated my truck about 2 weeks ago, right before the detailer and booster came out

Pinnacle Black Label Coatings in Action! Pictures and Video!

After the coating, I did ask the question: "So now what???" Well, 2 weeks later and a few miles under my belt, and it is time to wash the truck. As you can see, the truck was FILTHY!!!

The wash went as followed: A good pre-soaking with my pressure washer (which also served to knock off the big dirt), and the truck was ONR'd and blown dry

I did take some video of the water beading and sheeting, which I will add to the review.

After the wash, I had typical water spotting and trailing in a few places that I missed (which in one case was done on purpose to test the coating QD).

As you can see from my "hand model", the product comes in a nice bottle with what I consider the best atomizer I've used. The product has no smell (which is a bummer) and goes on light. It gets spread (quite easily I might add) with the MF towel and buffed to a shine with the a flip of the towel.

According to the manufacturer, the product is supposed to increase the gloss and slickness. My experience was that it did neither. It may be in part due to the fact that my coating is only 2 weeks old, so before pronouncing final judgement I will definitely try it again.

I will say this though, my go-to drying aid/QD for instances like above is V07, but on a black truck (in high humidity) it tends to streak pretty bad, if applied in full sun. The coating detailer was applied and removed in the setting sun with temps hovering around 56 degrees. The manufacturer does say to apply out of the direct sunlight.... but call me a rebel..... I needed to try it. So the application was done in the full setting sun.

The micro atomizer spritz very little products AND very little product is needed to do the work. I would say that I used 1-2 spritz per panel on average. In comparison I normally use 1 spray of V07 per panel. Without the exact math (since nobody knows the amounts each spray head dispenses) I would say that I used 1/3 the amounts I would have used, if I had used V07.

The bottle of coating detailer is CURRENTLY $19.99 for an 8oz. bottle ($2.50/oz) and normal price is $29.99 ($3.74/oz). Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Coating Detailer compared to V07 which is $18.99 for 16/oz ($1.18/oz) Chemical Guys V7 Optical Select High Gloss Spray Sealant Detailer

Does the product work well? ---> Yes
    Does the product smell good?---> There is no smell
    Did it increase gloss? ---> We could not see a difference
    Did it increase the slickness? ---> We could not detect a difference
    Did it work better than my "go-to" (V07)? ---> Yes
    Would I purchase the product again? Based on my current experience and the price differential to my "tried and true" I would say no, however will have to reserve final judgment once my coating actually starts losing some of its gloss and slickness. This is were the real test will be.

Next review will be on the PBL coating booster (in a couple of weeks from now, or later depending on when I decide to wash the Beast again). I am definitely looking forward to it!

https://www.facebook.com/FlawlessFinishDetailing
    Dr. Claude Tremblay, Co-owner/Senior Detailer, Certified CQuartz FINEST Installer

Post Thanks / Like

Re: REVIEW: Pinnacle Black Label Coating Detailer

Thanks Claude, you beat me to the punch! I tried the detailer this weekend on my mustang, nothing noticeable in the difference. It could be the fact my mustang is layered PBL Coating, PBL Sealant, & BF BlackICE. I do know one thing for sure, as soon as I apply BF Midnight Sun = WHIPLASH

Post Thanks / Like

A little video showing the beading and sheeting action while power washing the truck. Also enjoy this following video showing how easy it is to dry a coated vehicle.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1vWnw0TqXc]Pinnacle Black Label Coating - Easy Drying Method - YouTube[/video]

Dr. Claude Tremblay, Co-owner/Senior Detailer, Certified CQuartz FINEST Installer

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the review. Definitely looking forward to the booster review.

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Excellent review Claude!

Once a vehicle is coated (or waxed/sealed), the elements almost immediately begin to take their tole. While you didn't notice an increase in gloss or slickness on your freshly coated vehicle, Diamond Coating Detailer will help maintain the gloss, slickness, and protection that the coating created in the first place.

To quote Mike Phillips: "Is the coating/wax/sealant going to get better, better, better...or worse worse worse over time?"

By maintaining the coating with products in the same chemical family (we call that synergistic chemical compatibility), you're ensuring the surface retains the gloss and slickness throughout the life expectancy (3 years in this case) of the coating.

Looking forward to your review of Diamond Coating Booster!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the review Dr Pain.

Let me ask this if I may, since you have used the Gold Label Paint Coating.

I would assume that after you used the coating, that you, like others with either the GL, or DP Paint Coating noted a high degree of slickness of the paint.

I did notice when I did my junker Kia with the DP Coating, the MF towel would literally slide right off the hood, or roof, cannot ever remember using anything slicker than this product.

So then, after a couple of week's time, and a wash, did you sample the finish to see how it felt? Did it seem to still retain that first coated slickness, or did you then notice some loss of such?

I would assume you did one panel, and compared? Does this detailer initially have a "grabby" feel like the coating when first applying?

I see you make mention with the Coating Detailer Spray, that you sensed it had no smell, correct? What about the Coating Booster? Does it too also have no odor?

I would've thought that being in the same "chemical family", that perhaps they would have that familiar similar smell of Alcohol?
    Thanks, Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroSP View Post
    Thanks for the review. Definitely looking forward to the booster review.
    It is next on my agenda!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick@Autogeek View Post
    Excellent review Claude!

Once a vehicle is coated (or waxed/sealed), the elements almost immediately begin to take their tole. While you didn't notice an increase in gloss or slickness on your freshly coated vehicle, Diamond Coating Detailer will help maintain the gloss, slickness, and protection that the coating created in the first place.

To quote Mike Phillips: "Is the coating/wax/sealant going to get better, better, better...or worse worse worse over time?"

By maintaining the coating with products in the same chemical family (we call that synergistic chemical compatibility), you're ensuring the surface retains the gloss and slickness throughout the life expectancy (3 years in this case) of the coating.

Looking forward to your review of Diamond Coating Booster!
    On a positive note, there was not a lot to maintain as my coating (2 weeks after application) was still as slick as a baby's behind. The gloss is crazy ridiculous. What I am reporting on is that I did not find any significant improvements while or after having used the product and did reserve my final opinion when a clear reduction in gloss and slickness can be perceived, which is where I assume the product would work best.

As for your statement on "synergistic chemical compatibility", my science background can only produce one reply: "I whole heatedly agree!!!", and this is the reason that my truck will be mostly used for demonstration of Black Label products (with the few topper exception).

Now the problem you may face from that statement Nick is that you opened the door to people that may criticize the marketing of the product for other coatings since not all coating have the same base chemistry.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post
    Thank you for the review Dr Pain.

Let me ask this if I may, since you have used the Gold Label Paint Coating.

I would assume that after you used the coating, that you, like others with either the GL, or DP Paint Coating noted a high degree of slickness of the paint.

I did notice when I did my junker Kia with the DP Coating, the MF towel would literally slide right off the hood, or roof, cannot ever remember using anything slicker than this product.

So then, after a couple of week's time, and a wash, did you sample the finish to see how it felt? Did it seem to still retain that first coated slickness, or did you then notice some loss of such?

I would assume you did one panel, and compared? Does this detailer initially have a "grabby" feel like the coating when first applying?

I see you make mention with the Coating Detailer Spray, that you sensed it had no smell, correct? What about the Coating Booster? Does it too also have no odor?

I would've thought that being in the same "chemical family", that perhaps they would have that familiar similar smell of Alcohol?
    Thanks, Mark
    I did do a quick evaluation of the paint after having dried the vehicle (and before applying the detailer), and in my eye it had not lost an ounce of transparency (flake pop), slickness or gloss. Although I can appreciate that the product will degrade over time, it had not "significantly" deteriorate enough for my subjective evaluation.

I did notice a slight surface tension from spreading the product onto the surface of the panel, but did not notice a significant difference when "buffing" through the transition from the detailer side of the panel to the side that did not have the detailer (hence the reason why I stated that the product did not indeed increase the slickness factor).

Note: (since you seem detail oriented) care was taken to do the buffing with a clean side of the folded microfiber which did had not been cross contaminated by previous exposure to the detailer.

The detailer has no odor, however the booster has a STRONG alcohol smell (same as the coating itself).

Before I get flamed by my science counterparts on the forum, I KNOW, it is a very bad practice to smell your chemicals.... but someone has to do it and report on it, right?

I mentioned the smell of the product (or the lack thereof) because I enjoy the olfactory stimulation while detailing. It would be great for the product to have a smell. I still use V07 on my black truck even though some days (due to heat and humidity) it streaks like crazy, and requires a lot more time buffing. But I use it JUST BECAUSE I love the Orange Tang smell it has.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review Claude, and looking forward to the next "Booster" review.

Post Thanks / Like

Any update Claude?