autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Some Comments on Wax

Pinnacle Souverän:

An excellent wax. To quote Dr Nuba: "Durability is about 3 rain drops". However it's mindlessly easy to use, looks excellent, smells like Hawaii, and the durability is on par with other show type waxes. Beading is like a tailor: so-so. Works well on top of a sealant.

Bouncer's Capture the Rapture:

May be the best looking wax out there. It's easy to apply, not the easiest to remove. Tends to leave oily "wax holograms" on dark cars. However, this can be sorted by using a Crazy Pile towel for removal and a wipe down a few hours later. Smells to me like a mix of evergreen and strawberries. I'm probably way off on that. A very oily wax. One pot should give a hundred + applications as it spreads ridiculously far. Beading is short lived IME.

NaviWax Ultimate:

Likely the best overall wax I've used. This stuff has to be ordered from the UK, as I do not believe there are any U.S. distributors. It's fairly easy to use and spreads far. Durability and beading are pretty sick. It leaves a very glossy glassy look. Smells like feet. Leaves paint with a silky satin like feel. I tried to spark some interest in AG picking up the NaviWax line (Japan), but the spark was extinguished.

Bilt Hamber Finis:

Another UK only wax. This stuff smells like carnauba and is fairly hearty. It reminds me of Collinite 915 a lot. BH says it's resistant to detergents, etc... Looks pretty nice, but not the top of the food chain. Application isn't to bad, but removal can be a tad bit difficult if applied heavy. A good solid winter wax. Beading is off the charts. Leaves significant protection on your paint against filth and grime.

Swissvax Best of Show:

The best smelling wax ever - bar none. It has a heavy fresh apricot smell. Not artificial candy like, but like the fresh fruit. The wax is "grainy", however it liquefies once you start to spread it. The graininess makes application only a tad more than simple, but removal is as easy as pie. A very nice looking wax, beading is just average. Honestly, this is a nice wax but probably not worth over $300. Durability seems a hair better than most show waxes.

Chemical Guy's Pete's 53:

A great wax, especially for the money. Application, removal, and beading are all pretty good. It's polymer infused, so durability isn't bad. A nice all around wax. I don't recall what it smells like, which usually means it smells like "wax".... or maybe sun tan oil.

Chemical Guy's Lava:

Just horrible. Not sure if this really is a "wax", but it comes in a tub and looks like orange pudding. The only good thing about this stuff is the orange sherbet smell. It spreads like snot and wipe off isn't particularly easy or enjoyable. Doesn't leave paint slick. However, it does seem to sheet water well. Beading is no good. After it sat around a bit, my Lava pot got what looked like blood clots in the wax. Dark red clumpy spots - gross. Do yourself a favor if you have Lava, use it to coat the inside of a trash bag. Paint looks like naked paint with Lava.

Wolfgang Fuzion:

An awesome wax. This wax seems to polarize some. People outside of the AGO universe seem to hate it. I think it adds a very glossy look. It's one of the easiest to use and adds noticeable slickness to paint. Wipe off is effortless. It spreads very far and a tub should last forever. I just like how this wax looks on paint. Durability isn't bad and beading is average. For a crazy glossy look, apply on top of Wolf Gang Deep Gloss Liquid Seal. Works well on all colors. The smell reminds me of strawberries.

Zymöl Glasur:

Another great one. I think this wax has like 7 or 8 ingredients, most of them "natural" or pretty close to it. Another tropical scent inspired wax. This wax stands out. Durability, beading, and sheeting are all top notch. Looks are very nice as well. Has the consistency of mashed potatoes mixed with apple sauce. It immediately liquified to an oil like substance when it touches paint. Removal may be a bit difficult if over applied. One of the nicest waxes for a hundred and some bills. Skip the bare hand application or you may need a blow torch to get the residue off your paint. This stuff just feels rich and expensive when you apply it. It has that subjective $$$ feel you can't describe.

Amazingly, I dropped my tub of Glasur on the floor and shattered the top. I contacted Zymöl for a new top - and they sent me a whole new tub of wax for free. I've heard similar stories regarding the people at Zymöl being pretty nice. Right up there with Naviwax Ultimate, albeit quite a different product.

Collinite 915:

An easy to use durable wax. Smells like carnauba with a hint of solvent. I'm wearing this wax now. Durability is very good, as is beading. Tight round beads are the norm. Doesn't look particularly "glossy", but rich and carnauba like. Application and removal are quite easy. May be the best wax buy out there. Spreads far and removal is a cinch. A legendary carnauba wax. Works well on everything. A pretty good winter wax. Doesn't stain trim as well. If your a pragmatist, this is the only LSP you need.

P21S 100%:

A very nice wax. Not a winter wax, but a good solid carnauba. Works on all colors, especially light colors. Spreads far and easy and removal is simple as well. Has a distinctive, but not overbearing "wax smell". Durability is OK, but is better than show waxes like Souverän. Has a certain joy factor to it I can't describe in words. It's German and it's good. Everyone's BMW, Audi, or Mercedes deserves at least one go around with P21S. I like the look of this wax a lot. Adds depth and richness with a decent amount of durability and a high ease of use.

Don't be fooled though, it's not "100% carnauba" in the jar. The "100%" means ALL the wax used in this product is carnauba: no beeswax, montan wax, etc... Unlike their Concours wax with the blue top. Concours is also a nice wax and a hair easier to use.

*********** Feel free to add your own:

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Some Comments on Wax

Thanks for your thoughts on these waxes Steve. I may have to pick up some P21S 100%

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice review!

Post Thanks / Like

Some Comments on Wax

Looking for some thoughts on the Sonax Paste Wax AG carries. It seems quite mysterious. I've never seen a single review word written on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review. This may help some of the new guys just getting started. I have Souveran and 915.
    2011 Compass Latitude Bright Silver/ 2017 Nissan Rogue SV AWD Premium Glacier White
    REFLECTIVE IMAGE DETAILING

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer Dodo Juice Supernatural over Swissvax. That said, I don't use wax anymore with the sealants and coatings available.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    Looking for some thoughts on the Sonax Paste Wax AG carries. It seems quite mysterious. I've never seen a single review word written on it.
    If you pick it up let us know how it goes.

Thinking of collecting and finding German wax while I'm here in Germany...

Post Thanks / Like

Great info. Thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like

Some Comments on Wax

A forgot a good one:

Dodo Juice Blue Velvet Pro:

Easy to use and spreads super far. Durability is pretty darn good. I like it better than Purple Haze Pro. Does wonders for a blue car. Adds a crayon like blue glow that may be a bit "too blue" til the first wash. Smells like sweet chocolate covered blueberries - awesome smell. I love this wax. It's fun to use. Wipe off is simple and it spreads insanely far. The panel pot 30ml version is a bit "grainy" - but it's not an issue. Layering on a black car will add a blue tint IME. This is a color charged wax and it's noticeable to me.

Dodo says the Pro waxes have "a touch of sealant", and I would say that is accurate - just a little. While this technically is a hybrid wax - it seems more like a 'nuba to me. This will stain applicators, cleaning them stain - free involves mineral spirits and IPA. Beading and sheating are pretty good - not amazing. Dodo calls this a "hard wax", but I don't notice a ton of difference in the texture between this and Purple Haze.

Basically, this wax may be the most fun a detailer type person can buy for 80 bucks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by smack View Post
    If you pick it up let us know how it goes.

Thinking of collecting and finding German wax while I'm here in Germany...

Please do. I'd be all over that. Apparently, there are tons of small batch type detailing products over there we will never see. There is a ton of stuff in the Sonax line alone, including a coating, we will never see.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast