autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Pinnacle BL Hyde Soft Leather Cleaner and Leather/Vinyl Coating Review

This past weekend I had a chance to mess with a few more of the Pinnacle Black Label products that Nick at PBMG was gracious enough to allow me to try out.

The test vehicle was my 2003 Nissan Super Black 350Z. My interior was in excellent conditon but I thought it would be a good chance to try out the new Black Label interior products. I have never really thought of using a "coating" on my leather interior since I don't put a lot of miles on the car and it's garage kept. However, I thought it would be a good test to see how the products compare to the Courbeau leather seats in 300ZX which always see your standard leather conditioner.

Product: Pinnacle Black Label Hide-Soft Leather Cleaner

Pinnacle Black Label Hide-Soft Leather Cleaner is a pH-balanced leather shampoo designed to deep clean leather and vinyl surfaces. Formulated with mink oil and lanolin, Hide-Soft Leather Cleaner forgoes inexpensive petroleum ingredients and instead relies on advanced chemistry. Hide-Soft Leather Cleaner deep cleans leather surfaces without removing the natural oils.

Product: Product: Pinnacle Black Label Hide-Soft Leather Cleaner

Pinnacle Black Label Leather & Vinyl Coating is a nano-polymer interior coating that protects treated surfaces against the damaging effects of moisture, oils and salt from skin, accidental spills, and more. Coated surfaces will be well protected against UV rays and other common contaminants that plague an interior from every day use. Use on dashboards, leather seats, and any other leather or vinyl surface that would benefit from superior protection. Coated surfaces will exhibit a low-gloss sheen that doesn’t attract dirt or dust.

Thoughts

1. I applied the BL Hyde Leather Cleaner with micro fiber app and then buffed with a micro fiber towel. My seats were in great shape but I wanted to make sure they were very clean since I would be applying a BL Leather and Vinyl Coating.

2. The Black Leather and Vinyl coating applies super easy like the other BL coating. A few spritzes on a finger pocket app and I could easily cover the seats. A little goes a lonnnnng way. I then waited about 1-2 minutes and buffed with a micro fiber towel.

3. The seats looked great and had a slight sheen that diminished after a few minutes. The look and feel kind of reminded me of Ultima Interior Guard. More of a matte or natural look.

4. Application and removal is super easy. I am curious to see how the products hold up over time.

Pics

There is a slight sheen in the pictures but it was probably due to the fact that I took the pictures at night in my garage with florescent lighting.

Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pinnacle BL Hyde Soft Leather Cleaner and Leather/Vinyl Coating Review

Great review, are you suppose to condition the leather before coating it or does the coating take the place of the conditoner if that make sense. Thanks Chris.

Post Thanks / Like

In theory, conditioner will apply first, then coating. But for the leather, I wonder if coating will stop the leather to breath. That means leather will dry out quickly, isn't it? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice review, I had similar results with a glossiness that reduced to a natural matte sheen after awhile. It was also on the colder side when I applied it, so it might have taken a bit longer to dry.

I was under the impression the coating needed a clean surface to bond to, wouldn't using the conditioner prior to the coating prevent the coating from bonding properly? Nick?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Cherry on Top Auto Detailing, Fishkill NY

https://www.facebook.com/CherryOnTopDetailing

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Italian Guy View Post
    Great review, are you suppose to condition the leather before coating it or does the coating take the place of the conditoner if that make sense. Thanks Chris.
    I would do one or the other - conditioner or coating. Depending on the type of leather and the amount of conditioner that you use, the coating might have a difficult time bonding.

I tend to use the conditioner on the seats and the coating on leather arm rests, dashboards, leather inserts on door panels, etc.

Super Member Scott@IncrediblyDetailed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nick@Autogeek View Post
    I would do one or the other - conditioner or coating. Depending on the type of leather and the amount of conditioner that you use, the coating might have a difficult time bonding.

I tend to use the conditioner on the seats and the coating on leather arm rests, dashboards, leather inserts on door panels, etc.
    Just to add to what Nick said...if you have (clear) coated leather (not vat dyed) you should use the coating 100% of the time. I have never seen a point to conditioning coated leather because the product never reaches through the (clear) coat. I'm exicted to try out the leather coating on my nappa (clear coated) bmw seats.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scott@IncrediblyDetailed View Post
    Just to add to what Nick said...if you have (clear) coated leather (not vat dyed) you should use the coating 100% of the time. I have never seen a point to conditioning coated leather because the product never reaches through the (clear) coat. I'm exicted to try out the leather coating on my nappa (clear coated) bmw seats.
    Hey Scott, sorry for my ignorance but how do I know if my leather seats are clear coated or not? I have an 2013 Audi Q5 with Chestnut brown leather seating.

Post Thanks / Like

Mostly new car leathers are coated. Tested by using water, if water comes through seat (absorbent), then it's not coated. Hope this help.