autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mike Phillips

Review: Black Label Diamond Surface Coating

Review: Black Label Diamond Surface Coating

Here's my one word review...

Versatile

We applied this new product to the,
    • Paint
    • Glass
    • Plastic

Black Label Diamond Surface Coating gave the entire car a very glassy look. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves except to add that this product is incredibly easy to use...

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Black Label Diamond Surface Coating

No wonder that silver pops!!!!!

That car belongs in a museum now! It's to clean to drive!

Mike Phillips

Here's the full write-up for how we prepped the car before applying Black Label Diamond Surface Coating....

In the above write-up you'll notice I never shared any pictures of the product being applied or stated what was used. Here's those pictures...

Showing the guys what we're going to use to seal and protect the paint...

No label on the bottle...

Jay applying Black Label Diamond Surface Coating to the paint...

Louie and I applying Black Label Diamond Surface Coating to the hood...

Me applying Black Label Diamond Surface Coating to the windshield...

Here's Matt applying ot the side of car. You can see the labeless bottle on teh floor next to the car...

Black Label Diamond Surface Coating...

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Mike, as always great work. Guesstimate for me, how much of the 8oz bottle would one use per application, I know it varies per car of course, but just what you experienced would be nice!

I've found with the DP coating, I can really let 2-4 sprays per panel cover really well, I assume that could be the same with this, posisbly just 2(obviously depending on the size of the area) I know I've done about 4-5 cars with the DP Paint coating and I prob have little more than half the bottle left!

Also, how did you like that new lake country coating applicator? was it easier to use and spread than with finger pockets???

Thanks in advance
    Back to the full-time grind.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by cleanmycorolla View Post

Hey Mike, as always great work. Guesstimate for me, how much of the 8oz bottle would one use per application, I know it varies per car of course, but just what you experienced would be nice!
    Didn't pay attention... sorry... But keep in mind, we applied this to the,

Paint
    Glass
    Smooth hard plastic

And I had around 8 guys with a wide range of detailing experience, both newbies to seasoned veterans applying the coating. It was a real hornet's nest of activity.

For the next car I use the Black Label Diamond Surface Coating on, I'll weigh the bottle before and after to get an accurate amount of product used. Like I did in this thread,

How much Menzerna FG 400 to buff out a car?

I've found with the DP coating, I can really let 2-4 sprays per panel cover really well, I assume that could be the same with this, possibly just 2(obviously depending on the size of the area) I know I've done about 4-5 cars with the DP Paint coating and I prob have little more than half the bottle left!
    I'd say we're on the same page for product use. I'm not like some in the forum world that in my opinion skimp on product, instead what I always type about, teach and practice is to use the ample amount of product. Here's why...

1: You want enough product to do the job right.

2: When doing anything where you're "touching" the paint, you want to use enough product so the surface is also lubricated as you're applying the product.

Put it this way, I always see guys talking about using "Pea Sized Drops" of compound or polish on their pads when using DA polishers and I've never been in that camp. I'm more of the dime sized drops kind of guy for the two reasons I just listed above. See this article,

How to prime a foam pad when using a DA Polisher

Dime size drops of product

Make sense?

Also, how did you like that new lake country coating applicator? was it easier to use and spread than with finger pockets???

Thanks in advance

I like the handle as it's easy to grip and I love the soft foam as clear coat paints are scratch-sensitive and the foam used for these applicator pads is incredibly soft and thus incredibly gentle to the paint.

I think Eric did a great job making these applicator pads I'd recommend that as a "rolling change", if possible to make the yellow foam portion thinner. Cut it back to about half the thickness or put an impermeable interface sandwiched inside the foam about a 1/4" inch in from the surface so liquids can only penetrate so far.

He nailed the most important feature and that's an incredibly soft foam formula so "yes" I like these applicator pads.

I like the gold foam finger pockets too because it's so easy to stick your 4 fingers inside of them and then get to work.

Both are good options, something for everyone, like Coke and Pepsi.

Post Thanks / Like

^^thank Mike, awesome feedback!
    Back to the full-time grind.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    I think Eric did a great job making these applicator pads I'd recommend that as a "rolling change", if possible to make the yellow foam portion thinner. Cut it back to about half the thickness or put an impermeable interface sandwiched inside the foam about a 1/4" inch in from the surface so liquids can only penetrate so far.
    I agree completely! My only gripe with these applicators, and it's really more just a minor annoyance, is that they tend to tip over at the slightest hint of drag. I think your suggestions would eliminate this entirely.

I was able to mostly overcome this by holding it in such. Way that my fingertips are on the yellow foam, but it certainly isn't ideal.

In my opinion, Eric came up with a product that is 99% perfect, which is a win in my book!
    2013 Honda Accord Touring - Crystal Black Pearl/Black

Mike Phillips

Just to comment...

The Black Label Diamond Surface Coating has been on the car since October 24th, as of this post that's 8 days.

I've wiped the car down three times since then using a spray detailer and a few microfiber towels. So far... the paint feels just as slick when I wiped it last night as it did the first time I wiped it down. It also sits outside 24/7 under a tree that drips rain water infused with whatever collects on the leaves throughout each day.

I'll keep you posted on how the coating holds up...

Post Thanks / Like

Still looks fantastic!

When are the wheels going to be refinished?

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by smack View Post
    Still looks fantastic!

When are the wheels going to be refinished?

Hoping to start this on a weekend after we get back from SEMA. It's on my A-List of things to do...

We also used the Black Label line of interior products on the MB Tex and the black leather seats inside this car, just haven't been able to process them yet but they made the interior look just as good as the exterior.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast