autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Black Label Diamond Paint Coating

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    In my how-to book, I talk about two different ways to wash a car.

Who reading this post has my book? Can I get someone to volunteer to tell everyone what it says about the two different ways?

In the book I explain the concept of how washing a car affects not only the longevity of any LSP but also how it affects swirls and scratches being re-instilled into the paint.

Detailing How-To Book and Detailing How-To E-book by Mike Phillips

I actually don't know of anyone else that has ever explained the two different approaches to washing a car and the how and why behind the concepts. And if you've spent an entire Saturday machine polishing all the defects out of your car or a customer's car, then properly prepping the paint for a coating and then carefully applying the coating, if you want the results like you see on the Porsche to last then it's very important that you treat the car appropriately.

You need to be intelligent about how you treat any highly polished car no matter what the LSP if you want it to last as long as possible and look good as long as possible. That's two thing by the way...

Good question Eric. I read through your blog too, nice article on how to properly use clay, includes some of the same tips I always share. I noticed you recommend some other blogs for tips on how to detail cars but don't mention AGO?

You're active on this forum and I like that, maybe consider sharing us too? That's what I call, Win/Win.

Mike to answer your question:

2 Approaches to washing your car:

1. Aggressive Approach - Washing before a detailing session (neglected paint)

2. Careful Approach - Washing after a detailing session (Show car finish)

Aggressive Aprroach:

When washing a neglected finish the priority is getting the car as cleaned as possible (not being as careful as possible.) It is okay to wash the car in the neglected condition a little more aggressively to get it surgically clean, because any defects you instill during the washing process will be removed during the correction steps. Your goal is to ensure that you've removed as much looser as possible from the car so that the dirt particles won't enter into the claying step or any of the machine polishing procedures.

Careful Approach:

If the finish on your car is in excellent condition, then you want and need to increase the level of care use while washing the car. Your priority is to avoid instilling any swirls scratches or marring back into the paint. Anything that touches it must be clean, soft, and gentle. While washing, you need to focus on the task at hand and use expert technique.
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by Evan.J View Post
    Mike to answer your question:

2 approaches to washing your car:

1. Aggressive Approach - Washing before a detailing session (neglected paint)

2. Careful Approach - Washing after a detailing session (Show car finish)

Thanks Evan...

And these two approaches are important. I even saw one of our forum members professional detailing website list as one of his packages, "Show Car Detailing" and at the bottom of the page it stated that the only way he'll do this type of package is if the owner of the car understands that after the work is completed the car must be washed carefully to preserve the finish quality.

Does anyone know or remember who this forum member is? I know they had a thread asking us to check out their new website.

Mike Phillips

I just sent the link to this thread to the owner of the Porsche. I'll see if he can bring her back in the week after SEMA. The post date for my write-up is,

10-02-2013, 04:12 PM

That was the Wednesday after my last Detailing Boot Camp Class.

I did the actual work the day before I posted the write-up and that would be Tuesday October 1st.

That means it's been approximately 31 days since I buffed out the Porsche and then applied the Black Label Diamond Paint Coating.

I have no idea how much the owner of this car drives it or even how he cares for it but I'll find out and if he'll bring it back I'll ask the guys here to inspect it and share what they see.

Mike Phillips

Here's a iPhone video of the 1986 Porsche after I appled the new Black Label Diamond Paint Coating to the paint.

1986 Porsche Slant Nose & 1928 Model A
    In this "walk-around" video I document in FULL SUN that there are zero holograms and a 100% swirl free finish on both the 1986 Porsche and also the 1928 Model A we wetsanded, cut and buff.

The above video showing the results in full sun is even better than a still pictures. Look close... this is how paint is supposed to look...

Post Thanks / Like

Great work as always Mike, both cars came out beautiful.
    I'm sure your students leave your class wth so much more knowledge then going into it.
    We appricate you man!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cleanmycorolla View Post
    I'm most interested in the Black Label sealant, review it Nick, someone at AG review it! lol
    This is what I'm waiting for. I was a week or so away from getting BFWD to try but now I'm in a holding pattern until I see how this sealant is.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by HateSwirls View Post

Great work as always Mike, both cars came out beautiful.
    I'm sure your students leave your class with so much more knowledge then going into it.
    We appreciate you man!

Thank you sir...

It's a real blessing to work here and have the opportunity to do these projects in our incredibly well-equipped and air conditioned garage.

These projects also attract guys of very high character and very professional character and I'm serious. I play team leader for all our projects and most of that is just outline what the process will be and then the pads, products and tools we're going to use.

Everyone treats the project cars like they're gold and to date... there's never been any mistakes. Knock on cyberwood.

Post Thanks / Like

Mike,

The Porsche looks phenomenal!

A couple of quick questions.

1) What did you use for a polish to remove the swirls in the car's paint? I know you need to start with the Surface Cleansing Polish to prep the paint before any of the coatings are used.

I'm new to synthetics so I'm just starting my research on the brand and comparing options from GTechniq and other similar brands. What really drew me in to this thread (aside from the pictures) was the fact that it is from Pinnacle. I've loved the ease and results I've achieved from Pinnacle Souveran paste for years. I'm picking up a new (red) car in a couple of months (it's on order now) and was thinking about starting from the ground up with the Black Label or whichever brand (or mixture) I go with.

2) In your write-up you said you used the Black Label Diamond Paint Coating, Black Label Diamond Glass Coating, and Black Label Diamond Wheel Coating but Pinnacle also sells a Black Label Diamond Surface Coating. Are the three dedicated mixtures better suited for their intended uses or is the bigger bottle of the Surface Coating sufficient? I'm assuming I don't need all 4.

Thanks,
    -Eric

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

If you were to use the Diamond Paint Coating on a vehicle that will be daily driven through salt, snow and rain How would you expect it to last given proper prep? Also if said vehicle was subjected to drive through car washes all winter long (no hand washing here when its below freezing on a warm day!) you would still expect to see car wash swirls by spring time right? Can you buff like normal and then reapply the coating?

What are the benefits to the wheel and glass coating? These new synthetic coatings are a new concept to me, thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Would live to see beading and sheeting!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast