autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

REVIEW: Hyde's Serum Rust Stopper (picture heavy)

Well, let me first apologize for being a little tardy in reviewing this product. I was fortunate to win in the Product Giveaway (earlier this month) which was sponsored by Hyde's and AG. Unfortunately "life" and its associated responsibilities kicked me in the behind..... but better a little late than never, right?

Well without further ado I give you by unbiased review of Hyde's Serum Rust Stopper

Hyde’s Serum Rust Stopper, rustopper, anti-rust solution for wheels

The product manufacturer claims that its product will prevent the "rust dust" problems, which often plagues detailers when washing/wetting those darn untreated break rotors.

I have to admit that I've never really been "plagued" by this problem of heavy "rust dust" after a detail (more on that later), however after researching the issue, I did encounter a few threads requesting assistance in "fixing" this problem, which I am sure is what prompted Hyde's to create their product.

For those wondering, "rust dust" is the result of surface flash rust which is shedded off the rotors as you drive away... and first apply the brakes. This flash rust occurs when moisture comes in contact with the unprotected steel surface (or metal particles) on the brake rotors. This basic oxidation process creates a thin layer of surface rust which remains on the rotor until you drive away and first apply the brake. At that point the pads make contact with the rotor, which mechanically abrades the surface oxidation, and fine dust flies everywhere..... depositing itself on all your freshly detailed rims (and other surfaces).

For today's review I chose to use one of my regular maintenance customer, a beautify 2013 BMW 740Li with M-Series wheels. This car was selected because the spokes are widely spread, making it easier to demonstrate the product.

As you can see, this car came to me nice and dirty (courtesy of our sugar cane cutting/grinding season), however I can tell you that this car is normally meticulously maintained (by my son and I ).

The process started with a general pre-treatment of the wheels and tires using a relative new addition to my arsenal (thanks Roshan!)

After a little agitation with my trusty Meguair tire brush I gave my full attention to the rim face, barrel, hub, calipers and rotors with an assortment of Speedmaster brushes

Then came the Iron X treatment, and a little agitation with my Speedmaster Pro brush

After assuring myself that the wheels were properly cleaned and decontaminated I selected the wheel in the shade to use the Hyde's Serum (the product should not be applied in the fun sun)

As you can see, my spraying technique was either not the best or maybe I had too much water on the rotor at the time of the application (which could have diluted the product. In any case, it looks like I missed a little area. FYI, I chose to leave it alone and not reaaply on purpose (for testing reason)

After its required drying time, I wipe off the rotors (and other surfaces, and all seemed well in the world.....

BELOW is the opposite back wheel rotor on the same car after the same cleaning and decontamination process, as you can see, there is a little "flash rust" on the rotors

When comparing both rotors (protected and unprotected), the product did exactly what the manufacturer claimed it did. The protected side was "flash rust" free, whereas the unprotected had a light layer of surface rust.

Overall, the product was extremely easy to use. The bottle had a very nice sprayer head with 2 optional setting: wide and narrow (for those hard to reach rotors). The product did not seem to have a smell, although I have to admit that my nostrils were still suffering the smell of IronX. If I were to suggest a modification to the product, I may want to see a remote sprayer head to ease the application around all the spokes (without having to turn the bottle upside down or in position where the product would not dispense).

In researching the product and reading other people's issues with "rust dust" and "flash rust", I did manage to see a few HORRIBLE examples and wondered why I did not have the same problem. Well, the answer came to me courtesy of a flash back to college chemistry! As some of you may have read, I have a state of the art water conditioner/filter at my house, which also supplies my shop. The unit filters to microns and eliminates all types of minerals and chemicals, including chlorine (and other corrosive chemicals). Understanding that my results could be affected by how clean my water was I decided to experiment a little. I put the system on bypass and poured some "city" treated water in a spray bottle. You do remember my less than stellar job at covering the rotor, right? Well, I sprayed this untreated city water on the rotor, and low and behold surface rust in the levels unseen before!!. I would love to show you the surface rust on another rotor however the picture did not come out, but you can see that the unprotected area (of my protected rotor) shows quite a bit of accumulated rust (also shows that I did have more coverage/protection than what my "application" picture demonstrated).

So what do I really think about the product???

The business man in me did have to ask the question: "Is the product worth the money??", especially since I never actually had a huge problem with rust dust. At $12.99 for ~17oz. the product (for me) does fall into a category of: "Is the product saving me "production" time?". According to other reviews on the product, you should be able to have multiple applications (cars) out of one bottle, which is a plus! But for me, the product will not save me time (or aggravation, since I am blessed with my water setup). As a normal step of my final inspection I do a "final wipedown" of the car --->after driving it out of the shop<--- This will normally take care of the surface rust (which in my case is already negligible). The rims do get the same "final wipedown", so anything that might have flown off the rotor would be taking care of. In terms of time saving (for me), there is none at this time.

The question I do have for the manufacturer (although I believe I already know the answer to) is: " Will the product last and provide equal protection for flash rust for an extended period? or does its basic protection capacity disappear as soon as you apply the brakes?

I would definitely want this product in my arsenal if it provides lasting protection through dew, rain (or other oxidation agents). Just imagine if you didn't have to worry about your car (and its rotors) parked and being soaked in a rainstorm though the night (therefore accumulating flash rust)!?!

As usual, I welcome comments, suggestions, rebuttals etc... and FYI if you did notice the tire dressing, I am planning on reviewing it shortly

Products used:
    Meguiar’s D101 All Purpose Cleaner combo pack
    Mothers Tire, Wheel & Well Brush Kit
    Daytona Speed Master Detailer’s Kit
    Hyde’s Serum Rust Stopper, rustopper, anti-rust solution for wheels

https://www.facebook.com/FlawlessFinishDetailing
    Dr. Claude Tremblay, Co-owner/Senior Detailer, Certified CQuartz FINEST Installer

Post Thanks / Like

Re: REVIEW: Hyde's Serum Rust Stopper (picture heavy)

Incredible review Claude, very informative, learned some new information

Post Thanks / Like

good review thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

nice review. had never heard of this before but now that i think about it, i have seen this kind of rust on rotors before.

Post Thanks / Like

Phenomenal review! I am very interested in the tire dressing review.

I'm thinking that this product will excel with production detailers or maintenance wash situations. For me, I will wash and/or detail my car and then, more than likely, take a break and go inside. The flash rust that I see is negligible on my 911, and when I have had times, it really hasn't been an issue (and I'm usually a stickler on things like this).

I may buy a bottle for the times I know I am going to drive after cleaning my car, but for the price, I just can't see it being used every time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Pain View Post
    I have to admit that I've never really been "plagued" by this problem of heavy "rust dust" after a detail (more on that later), however after researching the issue, I did encounter a few threads requesting assistance in "fixing" this problem, which I am sure is what prompted Hyde's to create their product.

For those wondering, "rust dust" is the result of surface flash rust which is shedded off the rotors as you drive away... and first apply the brakes. This flash rust occurs when moisture comes in contact with the unprotected steel surface (or metal particles) on the brake rotors. This basic oxidation process creates a thin layer of surface rust which remains on the rotor until you drive away and first apply the brake. At that point the pads make contact with the rotor, which mechanically abrades the surface oxidation, and fine dust flies everywhere..... depositing itself on all your freshly detailed rims (and other surfaces).
    Before I review the rest of this A-M-A-Z-I-N-G review, I just wanted to thank you for such a well thought out definition of "rust dust". As people learn about Rustopper, there is a bit of teaching that is involved with this product, especially when it comes to "rust dust" and the application method.

Post Thanks / Like

Very thorough and informative review Claude. Thanks for putting it together and sharing.

Nice vehicle choice BTW.

Post Thanks / Like

The question I do have for the manufacturer (although I believe I already know the answer to) is: " Will the product last and provide equal protection for flash rust for an extended period? or does its basic protection capacity disappear as soon as you apply the brakes?

I would definitely want this product in my arsenal if it provides lasting protection through dew, rain (or other oxidation agents). Just imagine if you didn't have to worry about your car (and its rotors) parked and being soaked in a rainstorm though the night (therefore accumulating flash rust)!?!

This is the exact feedback we are looking to share with the detailing enthusiast community. Thank you so much for taking the time to cover Rustopper with high quality photos and the "city water" test, ha! Is your system for filtration or water softening?

Will the product last and provide equal protection for flash rust for an extended period? or does its basic protection capacity disappear as soon as you apply the brakes?

These two questions really have to be answered together. From a safety standpoint we could not sell a product that leaves a coat/layer/film on the swept surface of a brake rotor. When Rustopper dries there is nothing left on the surface of the rotor that could remain for long term protection (we wish, but it's not possible without it affecting the friction coefficient). With that said, we have had feedback from some that regular use has led to less flash rust build up during routine washing.

As for the morning dew or overnight rainstorm, Rustopper has proved effective in preventing flash rust if the rotors are treated beforehand. Meaning, if the car has been detailed and Rustopper was applied, the following morning has shown no flash rust when presented with morning dew or wet conditions. Some have even coated their rotors with Rustopper before a rain storm to test with great results.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SON1C View Post
    Incredible review Claude, very informative, learned some new information
    I am glad that I can still contribute.... With the extensive knowledge base we have on AG it is getting harder and harder to come up with information that hasn't been covered a million times before (unless we are talking about the chemistry knowledge that Bob brings to the threads)

Quote Originally Posted by Gsrjake View Post
    good review thanks!
    Glad you enjoyed!

Quote Originally Posted by B53x11 View Post
    nice review. had never heard of this before but now that i think about it, i have seen this kind of rust on rotors before.
    This is one of many reason why I chose to review products.

Quote Originally Posted by Radarryan View Post
    Phenomenal review! I am very interested in the tire dressing review.

I'm thinking that this product will excel with production detailers or maintenance wash situations. For me, I will wash and/or detail my car and then, more than likely, take a break and go inside. The flash rust that I see is negligible on my 911, and when I have had times, it really hasn't been an issue (and I'm usually a stickler on things like this).

I may buy a bottle for the times I know I am going to drive after cleaning my car, but for the price, I just can't see it being used every time.
    The dressing review will be coming soon! The Hyde's product does work as advertise and is extremely easy to use. I am sure that someone will chime in with a few more versatile ways of using the product which may help upgrade this product from "I'm glad I have it for those historically bad rotors" to "my go-to for...."

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan@HydesSerum View Post
    Before I review the rest of this A-M-A-Z-I-N-G review, I just wanted to thank you for such a well thought out definition of "rust dust". As people learn about Rustopper, there is a bit of teaching that is involved with this product, especially when it comes to "rust dust" and the application method.
    You are welcome Ryan! and thanks for the compliment

Quote Originally Posted by smack View Post
    Very thorough and informative review Claude. Thanks for putting it together and sharing.

Nice vehicle choice BTW.
    I am so sure I taught you something Mike, especially on a BMW!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan@HydesSerum View Post
    This is the exact feedback we are looking to share with the detailing enthusiast community. Thank you so much for taking the time to cover Rustopper with high quality photos and the "city water" test, ha! Is your system for filtration or water softening?

Will the product last and provide equal protection for flash rust for an extended period? or does its basic protection capacity disappear as soon as you apply the brakes?

These two questions really have to be answered together. From a safety standpoint we could not sell a product that leaves a coat/layer/film on the swept surface of a brake rotor. When Rustopper dries there is nothing left on the surface of the rotor that could remain for long term protection (we wish, but it's not possible without it affecting the friction coefficient). With that said, we have had feedback from some that regular use has led to less flash rust build up during routine washing.

As for the morning dew or overnight rainstorm, Rustopper has proved effective in preventing flash rust if the rotors are treated beforehand. Meaning, if the car has been detailed and Rustopper was applied, the following morning has shown no flash rust when presented with morning dew or wet conditions. Some have even coated their rotors with Rustopper before a rain storm to test with great results.
    I am glad you are chiming in to answer the questions I have. As I had mentioned, I almost knew the answer to my own question but still felt it needed to be posed. My system is a multi-stage self regenerating filtration and conditioner with an in-line iron filter. The only thing I have to do is set the computerized system, add salt every 6 months and a tablet of chlorine to regen the iron filter every month. I had though about putting a commercial RO system but did not see the cost benefit ratio

https://www.facebook.com/FlawlessFinishDetailing
    Dr. Claude Tremblay, Co-owner/Senior Detailer, Certified CQuartz FINEST Installer

Post Thanks / Like

My system is a multi-stage self regenerating filtration and conditioner with an in-line iron filter. The only thing I have to do is set the computerized system, add salt every 6 months and a tablet of chlorine to regen the iron filter every month. I had though about putting a commercial RO system but did not see the cost benefit ratio
    I am officially JEALOUS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast