autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Head-to-Head cage match - Klasse SG vs. Collinite 845

First a little background.

It all started when several elements all came together to form a perfect storm.
    - I became a member here and did a LOT of reading
    - My new membership came with a nice discount code to the AG store
    - I started to run low on Klasse SG

I've used Klasse SG and AIO for almost nine years. It's the only product I've used on a regular basis, and amazingly, I'm still using the same bottles I purchased all those years ago. However, it's time for something new. I've been happy with Klasse's performance, but it can be a little temperature sensitive when applying and if you apply it even slightly too heavy it becomes hard to remove. I've come to realize there are many good, reasonably priced products out there and I need to if there is something I might like better.

So...after reading reviews I felt the 845 would be a good alternative to the SG and I bought a bottle. Since winter is coming soon, I decided to put the two products in a side-by-side test on my personal fleet in a battle for shelf space in my garage.

The test subjects:

1. 1999 Pearl Blue Subaru Outback. Slightly beat paint with some scratches and clear coat failure. It's my daughter's daily driver across town to school every day. It stay's outdoor 24/7. This car was treated with Klasse AIO and one coat of Collinite 845. Here are the results:

2. 2010 Graphite Grey Metallic Mazda 3. Paints in good shape, but will need a light correction in the spring. Pictures are hard to get due to the high metallic fleck content. It's my daily driver. The car sits outdoors during the day and garaged at night. This car was treated with Klasse AIO and one coat of Klasse SG. Here are the results:

My thoughts after application:

- The Collinite was much easier to apply since I could use my DA. I didn't feel the SG would lend itself well to a machine application so I did it by hand. Even if I used the same approach for both, I would have given the 845 the win. It's really easy to apply.

- The 845 was easier to remove. I let it sit for about 30~45 minutes and it wiped right off. The SG came off easy too, but it was getting a little hot in my garage (around 80F) and I noticed some streaks on my hood that required a little Spritz to knock out. The garage was even warmer the day I did the 845, yet I had no issues.

- In the appearance realm, I'm leaning towards the 845 here as well. The morning after I appled the 845 I was shocked by how good the car looked. It seemed to improve over 12 hours of sitting. The blue was darker, deeper, and warmer than I had ever seen it. The gloss is really good too. Klasse SG has always produced a great shine, but I have always felt it lacked depth. Now that all of the cars are dark colored, this matters more to me.

- Regarding the feel of the surface, Klasse was slick, but the 845 was slippery, if that makes any sense.

The final verdict will come down to durability. I'll see how these two hold up over the winter. I'm not going to top them with anything to keep things even between them. Only the normal wash routine from now until March. If I had to cast my vote now, I'd have to award the prime parking spot in my cabinet to the 845. Only time will tell.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Head-to-Head cage match - Klasse SG vs. Collinite 845

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post

- Regarding the feel of the surface, Klasse was slick, but the 845 was slippery, if that makes any sense.
    It does, I've made the mistake of setting something (non-scratching) on the hood for a half-second--slides right off before I can bring my hand back to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your comparison review of these LSP's.

An aside:
    I always think of Klasse HGSG as being an acrylic-Sealant.
    Collinite #845, on the other hand, gets my nod as a most excellent Carnauba-based Wax.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for putting the review together. Interested to see they fare after winter.

Post Thanks / Like

I had to adjust this test. The Subaru shown decided to grenade it's engine while traveling down the highway.

The new test subject is shown below. The weather has been pretty mild, so the Klasse on the Mazda shouldn't have that big of a deficit in this case.

Post Thanks / Like

That's one lucky daughter getting a GTI. She should be very thankful!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Desertnate, from the St. Louis, MO area myself and new to AG. I did some reading and one of the forum members also helped me on here. Always used "stuff" from auto parts stores LOL and finally decided to step up and made some purchases from AG. After reading and talking to a member from here, I decided to use #845 as my LSP and I love the result. I used it on my white truck after giving the paint a full treatment: wash, IronX, M105 and M205 and so on.......... I really liked the final turn out and get compliments all the time. I also like the easy application and removal, I used my GG6 to apply. #845 has great bang for the buck and my truck washes a lot easier with it on, looks almost wet to me. I have only heard good things about #845.

Thanks for the post.

Have a good one.

Alby

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by olenderc View Post
    That's one lucky daughter getting a GTI. She should be very thankful!
    Ha! Not a chance. She's getting the Mazda...the GTI's mine!

Post Thanks / Like

but doesnt SG lasts 5+ months longer?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gsrjake View Post
    but doesnt SG lasts 5+ months longer?
    Many here have said 845 will last just as long and it's their winter LSP of choice. I'm going to find out!

If the 845 starts to fade before spring, I'll just hit the car with UQW or Duragloss to carry through until it's warm enough to start over.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast