autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

BLACKFIRE Midnight Sun Spray Wax Review

BLACKFIRE Midnight Sun Spray Wax Review

Source: Personal purchase from Autopia-CarCare
    (I had actually wanted to order the Polymer spray but ordered this instead by mistake)

Manufacturer's Description
    BLACKFIRE Midnight Sun Spray Wax gives your vehicle the rich, reflective shine of Midnight Sun Ivory Carnauba Paste in an easy-to-use spray application. Refined and purified “Ivory” carnauba wax has been synthesized with BLACKFIRE's proprietary Wet Diamond polymers into a streak-free aerosol spray that is guaranteed to created whiplash! We didn't stop there, BLACKFIRE Midnight Sun Spray Wax is packed with nourishing oils and special anti-static agents that produce a rippling glow across the paint that stays cleaner, longer. Use BLACKFIRE Midnight Sun Spray Wax to boost your existing BLACKFIRE protection or as a stand alone paint protectant. It ripples with whiplash either way!

Price: $15.99 (11 ounce aerosol can)

Directions on container:
    SHAKE WELL BEFORE USING
    Blackfire Midnight Sun Spray Wax separates separates quicky and needs to be shaken well to produce outstanding results. Spray BF MS SW on surface where shine is desired. Let product set 5-15 minutes (product must dry to haze) and wipe out with clean, soft cloth for an outstanding durable shine. FOR BEST RESULTS, USE BETWEEN 65 - 75 F.

Conditions: In garage, 75 F, probably 110% humidity (typical NC morning before the sun gets up)

Application process:

I shook the product well (at least a couple minutes). I could not detect any change in the rattle can sound to determine if there was any change in consistency.

After a few sprays, it appeared the best method is very short bursts ( 2 seconds max) in a sweeping motion at slightly off angle so it drifted on the paint seemed to provide some the best even coverage. Longer bursts causes blobs as the sprayer seemed to build up.

It was super quick to apply though by just walking around the car. I ended up spraying about 2 ft above surface to get thin more even coat. However, it is inevitable that I got product on glass. I may experiment more the next time I use it.

Using the swipe test, I ended up letting it waiting over 20 minutes before removing. I left one section (front facia) much longer and still was easy to remove.

After application on hood, note blobs. Longer spray times cause more and larger blobs

In the garage, about an hour later

The dual personality of Tuxedo Black Metallic Paint and certain LSP's (usually sealants make it more obvious)

Flake - indirect sun

Flake - direct Sun

Gratuitious tire shot with not well applied Mothers dressing (it was early!)

Usage Notes
    Ease of application/removal:Quick application but need to be careful when spraying since the consistency varied so much. The net is the process seems very forgiving. I accidentally left one section on much longer and still was as easy or easier to remove.

Haze Time: It took at least 20 minutes to pass the swipe test

Scent: Pleasant but not anything I can pinpoint

Cleaning ability: None

Cost/use: Not determined how many applications per can but would not expect as many as a liquid wax just due to amount (11 oz), closer to spray waxes.

Slickness:Very good, similar to Midnight Sun paste)

Durability Product states "lasts up to 6 weeks". Slickness dropped some after some rain over so I believe "up to 6 weeks" would be valid

OpticsDarkens paint (makes Tuxedo Black Metallic look nicely black instead of the typical grayish black), strong reflections, nothing special on depth or extra carnuaba like glow. Classy look. It reminds more of a how some sealants look compared to the lighter looks of carnauabas like Max Wax, Fusion. It seemed to reach max shine quicker than what I usually experience.

Summary

Pro
    1. Very quick to apply, fairly easy wipe out even if overapplied
    2. Instant improved looks - Seems to achieve maximum shine quicker than typical waxes
    3. Good looks if you like blacker blacks.

Cons
    • Spray technique is critical with random blobs of wax despite shaking well.
    • Overspray on surfaces like glass where product is not desired. I am not a big fan of aerosols since product drifts.
    • Durability if you are thinking of using it standalone product. Best as a paste wax topper. I wonder how this compares to the Polymer Sealant.
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Re: BLACKFIRE Midnight Sun Spray Wax Review

Thanks for the review, the car looks like it came out great. I would have to agree with you on the aerosol sprays, they are hard to control and keep the product where you want without it drifting on you.