autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Review: Wolf's WF-1NT Clear & Coat and Poorboy's Spray and Rinse (Pic Heavy)

I recently got a sample in of Wolf's WF-1NT Nano wheel cleaner or "Clear & Coat" it's billed as a wheel cleaner that incorporates nano technology as a sealant into one product. I have been using Poorboy's Spray and Rinse and topping with V7. So today I decided to put them to the test on cleaning and after 1 week I will be revisiting them to see how the sealant nature stacks up.

Here are the products

Poorboy's (topped with V7) vs Wolf's

Note: After using Poorboy's quite a bit I diluted it 1:1 and have noticed no cleaning difference in it.

Here are the wheels I started out with, for reference I only tested the front wheels as they have the most dust. The brakes are stock 4-pot Brembo's on Camaro SS's.

Poorboy's is up first, I did a one-minute dwell time before rinsing off then wiping down the rims with a microfiber.

You can see on the bottom of the rim a slight area where I wiped it off to show the true color of the rim (note these are clear coated aluminum) and you can see the amount of dust that has accumulated.

During the dwell time.

Showering them off

And here is the wheel after being hosed down but before wiping.

After wiped down, note the rotor color change caused by it. It does come off after just a quick drive and it's just oxidation.

Here is how much dirt I wiped off that wasn't removed by rinsing.

Next up is Wolf's, again applied, 1 minute dwell time, then rinse off and ultimately wipe down

Rims before, again slight wipe down in the bottom center to show original rim color

During application, it didn't foam as much or drip anywhere near as much as PB

After spraying, before wiping

After wipedown

And how much dirt I pulled off

Total amount of product used

PB about 2 oz.

Wolf's about 1 oz

And here is the results of the towel head to head (Wolf's is on the left, PB on the right)

Both of these products worked well and are roughly the same price at 32 oz for $16 for PB and $17 for 1 Liter or 33oz for Wolf's.

Poorboy's Pros:
    Cleans better
    Proven can be diluted 1:1 and not drastically effect cleaning so you get 2x the product
    More economical

Cons:
    Clogs Sprayers after a few uses it took quite a bit of work to get it spraying again .
    Smell (this is personal experience, but it really effects for my breathing if it's windy or I'm too close to it, feels like it's burning my nose and just overall uncomfortable)
    Rotor Color (minor but it does look bad until the car is driven a few miles.

Wolf's Pros:
    Smell and this is big for me as I didn't mind using it where Poorboy's is very unpleasant to use.
    Doesn't change the rotor color much
    Sealant built in to it

Cons:
    Didn't clean as well

Final thoughts: Overall for now, until the sealant properties are proven Poorboy's is a better cleaning agent but for me since it really effect me and I don't want to wear a mask while cleaning my rims, I'd choose Wolf's. But Poorboy's is definitely a better cleaner but I have seen it slightly effect caliper paint if agitated so don't scrub at all with it, just rinse off.

Thanks for reading, let me know if you have any questions or tips on how to clean them or keep them clean better.

Up ahead I'll be reviewing Wolf's black out gel against Meg's Hyper Dressing.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Wolf's WF-1NT Clear & Coat and Poorboy's Spray and Rinse (Pic Heavy)

Very interesting having a wheel clener with a built in sealant. Thanks for posting the pictures and reviewing these products, much appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Wolf's WF-1NT Clear & Coat and Poorboy's Spray and Rinse (Pic Heavy)

Why not agitate it a little to help the cleaning process? It's pretty tough to do touch less wheel cleaning with a regular hose using safe products.

Post Thanks / Like

No problem, I'll definitely keep up with how they compare in the short-term. Although I don't think any product can last too long or prevent too much brake dust.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review. Thanks for taking the time to put it together for others to see the results.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review.

If you used a pressure washer, I think the dirt on the towels would have been much less. On the contrary, I'd rather scrub and use a safer wheel cleaner, rather than an acidic cleaner.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smack View Post
    Nice review. Thanks for taking the time to put it together for others to see the results.
    Thanks Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by FivePoint.0 View Post
    Nice review.

If you used a pressure washer, I think the dirt on the towels would have been much less. On the contrary, I'd rather scrub and use a safer wheel cleaner, rather than an acidic cleaner.
    I agree a pressure washer would help, I tried changing the nozzle setting to see if it made a difference but it did not. Any reason why you prefer scrubbing over stronger cleaners? I feel that with a clear coat on the wheels scratching is easier to do than eat away any clear coat that is rinsed away expeditiously.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by af90 View Post
    Thanks Mike.

I agree a pressure washer would help, I tried changing the nozzle setting to see if it made a difference but it did not. Any reason why you prefer scrubbing over stronger cleaners? I feel that with a clear coat on the wheels scratching is easier to do than eat away any clear coat that is rinsed away expeditiously.
    If you pre-rinse the wheel, then use a high foaming wheel cleaner, you're not going to noticeably scratch the clear, while maintaining your clear coat and the chance of stating the wheel is zero(if used correctly). With un-coated wheels(polished aluminum), you really have to be careful about not scratching the wheel.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

great review, great pictures, nice comparison
    I too hate the smell and side affects of using acidic wheel cleaners, however they typically do clean reasonably better
    very interested to see how the built in sealant holds up..

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks SON1C!

I'll update on Sunday after a week of driving.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast