autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

3M Paint Defender - Protection Film

Whats up guys greetings from Palm Desert CA So I own a detailing shop and about once a month or more I get a regular 3M Clear Bra application and for any of you who have put one on it is tedious and depending on the vehicles curves dam near impossible sometimes. Clear Bras regularly go for a couple hundred bucks at least which isn't cheap and is hard to sell to people but this new PPF may be the key to sell a lot more film cause the kit goes for about $40 at my local autozone. I applied it so my 2012 Chevy Colorado work truck, the total time took me about one hour and a half because I spend alot of time masking the front end, and beware this stuff oversprays like crazy only got 2 spots and its a pain to remove when it doesn't have an edge to pull up. So now all we have to do is wait and see how durable it is they say you can get a year or two out of it , which is less then a conventional clear bra but hey its economical.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3M Paint Defender - Protection Film-photo-7-jpg   3M Paint Defender - Protection Film-photo-8-jpg   3M Paint Defender - Protection Film-photo-9-jpg   3M Paint Defender - Protection Film-photo-10-jpg   3M Paint Defender - Protection Film-photo-11-jpg   3M Paint Defender - Protection Film-photo-12-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, what's your opinion now that it's been on a couple weeks. There is another thread where he reported hi-spots and it didn't exactly dry clear. I have a 96 SVT Cobra. Not a daily driver. After i fix the road rash with Dr Colorchip I'd like to try this. But I definitely want a clear glossy finish. Also my daughter just bought a brand new Subaru Forester. This would be nice for her. Thanks, Spiney-Dave
    Learning to detail for fun and to show my 96 Ford SVT Cobra, Black. My dad always said I was going to wax the paint right off my car. Would wax every weekend. GG 6" DAP

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 3M Paint Defender - Protection Film

I'm curious as well.

Having a spray on clear bra that's glossy and clear would be the optimum product in my mind. Durability lasting for several years should also be obtainable...

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Well it didn't really level as good as they made it seem it does have a decent amount of orange peel but it protects as good as a normal clear bra I was on my way to do a little detail on of my regular customers and on the freeway a truck kicked up a rock and it hit me doing around 65 mph or see and i went and checked and it did its job , the only thing i dont like about it to much it seems to have a soft texture my wash mitts slightly catch on it they don't glide over like the traditional clear bras, overall for the price and the ease of the whole system I'm satisfied with it

Post Thanks / Like

This is probably a great product for guys going to track days. Instead of using blue painters tape all over the front of their cars, they can use this then remove it after the track weekend is over.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I tried it last week on my 2007 corvette. 1 can was enough to cover from just above my head lights down the side of my front fenders and front bumper. The first can I put on at night and took about 6 hours to dry. I had a couple of runs so I peeled it off and on the thinner areas I had to use all purpose cleaner and it came right off. I tried the second can I had during the day. I pulled the car out in the sun to dry and dried in about 45 minutes with no runs. What I learned from the first can is don't be afraid to put it on heavy if doing it on a sunny day. The sun will level it for you as it dries. Also don't get it wet until its totally dry. It started to drizzle and made some small dimples from the drops. I will run it like that for a while. I drive 90 miles round trip to work so I post back in a couple weeks with an update.
    Last edited by Randy73; 05-25-2013 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Added some

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if this would work on the plastic wheel wells? Mine seem to need constant attention to keep clean as dirt kind of clings to them. The best solution so far is to "treat" them with Forever Black Tire Gell (they are painted with rubber paint) and a coating of Parmanon Car Shine. Has anyone tried this on wheel wells?
    Crispy 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix DD, always clean (except today) Hobby Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

i did it on my car and had one small spit from the can. leveled itself about 90%. you must spray it heavier than you might think. it levels well and can be a major pain in the butt to remove is applied too thin. i had amazing hopes for this product but felt it just didnt dry clear and smooth enough for me. vegas gts mentioned track days and it would probably work but griots has a spray on bra for that that is much better. if you are using it to protect a daily driver i would go for it, if you consider your car even partly a show queen then no.