autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Review: Meguiar's Unigrit Sanding Block K-1000

Remove paint drips and runs quickly and conveniently.

Meguiars Unigrit Sanding Blocks

From the Autogeek webpage,

Meguiars Unigrit Sanding Blocks are the easiest, most efficient way to remove paint drips, sags, and other blemishes on top of the paint. Uniformly sized abrasives level the imperfection with the surrounding paint, leaving an even pattern of sanding scratches. The light sanding marks are then easily removed with a buffer. Meguiars Sanding Blocks are designed to turn a good paint job into a perfect paint job.

Last week a co-worker asked me if I could cut the runs out of his freshly painted door in which he had a few small runs at the bottom.

So today after looking over the door that was painted and seeing the minor paint runs I decided to take a different approach than the normal sand paper that is usually used to level the runs. Another option is to razor blades the runs out but I dont feel comfortable doing that nor do I care to learn that method after using Meguiar's sanding block.

Meguiar's sanding block is just that. A rectangular gray block that has sanding material on every single edge and is perfect for cutting the high spots of the run, drip, sag etc. This block allows you to flatten the high spots of the run without touching any of the lower areas. This will allow for uniform material removal in that the runs are cut flat to the surface before engaging the painted surface. This ensures the best possible defect removal.

Pros,

- Incredible control on what you are doing compared to using sand paper and a sanding block.

- Excellent leveling characteristics without touching other areas until needed.

- Did I mention easy to use?

Cons,

- Price. $19.99 for each little block

Here is the block in the packaging.

In the bottom right corner you can see the different grits availible. I am reviewing the K-1000 or 1000 grit media.

Here is the block itself. It is very hard and sturdy.

The block needs to soak in soapy water for 15 minutes minimum. I had it soaking for 20-25 minutes before use.

Here are the runs that need to be leveled with the surface.

Now you can see how the block allows you to start working on the high spots to flatten them before the surface below is touched.

When the runs start to level you have to keep going until you cant tell a difference between the runs and the surrounding material. Here you can see that the runs are no where to be found. It is important that the surface is completely leveled like so.

Now that the surface is scarred from 1000 grit and you cant find where the runs where it is time to start refining the surface. I picked up with 2000 grit sandpaper to refine the 1000 grit marks.

Instead of just stopping on 2000 grit and picking up my rotary, wool, and M105 and going at it like a mad man, I chose to refine the 2000 marks even further. This is after 3000 grit sanding.

Now a little bit of work with M105, a yellow W8207, and my trusty ol 849 is put to work. I set the 849 as low as it would go (1000 rpm) and proceeded to make my section passes.

I refined the surface further with M205 and a black W9207 finishing pad again set to 1000 rpm.

Now for my pictures of the completed job....

For anyone that is doing defect removal whether it may be runs, sags, nibs, etc stop using a sheet of sand paper wrapped in a sanding block. This is the way to remove defects without a doubt.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Meguiar's Unigrit Sanding Block K-1000

Awesome review smack.

I need to go pick up a junk hood and practice stuff like this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by david11g35 View Post
    Awesome review smack.

I need to go pick up a junk hood and practice stuff like this.
    Thanks David.

This is a great skill to have under your belt in addition to paint correction.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow nice job Mike. Those were some nasty runs nice save!
    Official Detailing Team Member of Air Force One
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice review and detailed photos, Mike!!! I didn't know you can sand paint runs and make it look like nothing happened.
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

Wonder how flexible it is for convex bumpers and concave areas like around wheel fenders. And is durability about the same as regular wetdry paper or washable like micro mesh?
    Mobile headlight restoration in the Oklahoma City area www.okcheadlights.com www.facebook.com/OKC.Headlights

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thoryamaha919 View Post
    Wow nice job Mike. Those were some nasty runs nice save!
    Thanks Evan. This block is a surefire way to remove runs in the best possible fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post
    Very nice review and detailed photos, Mike!!! I didn't know you can sand paint runs and make it look like nothing happened.
    Thanks Marc! You can in fact remove defects from paint in the manner I did. Whether they are runs, sags, dirt etc.

Quote Originally Posted by g35_coupe View Post
    Wonder how flexible it is for convex bumpers and concave areas like around wheel fenders. And is durability about the same as regular wetdry paper or washable like micro mesh?
    This block is not pliable even after soaking in water over night. It says in the directions that it can be shaped. Im assumming with a more aggressive sanding paper.

Durability is outstanding. This block will hold up to repeated use with minimal degradation. I will update this thread after more use.

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice work mike. Looks like nothing ever happened. !!

Post Thanks / Like

Didn't even have time to change out of uniform before you started working on it?

Awesome job, so did you switch to 2000 grit sandpaper or a 2000 grit block? Do you think it's easier to use these blocks over wetsanding with sandpaper?

Post Thanks / Like

Great review Mike, thank you.

Bill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast