autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Solution Finish vrs Tuff Shine Black Restore Test

4/1/13

Decided to do a longevity comparison between these two. In the past, Solution Finish hasn't lasted too long for me. However, I never put down a tape line and the plastic is in pretty good shape, so it was hard to tell. This time, both pieces were cleaned with Duragloss APC 10:1, then Tuff Shine Tire Cleaner, then 70% IPA.

Both pieces are on the same vehicle, and both pieces get pretty dirty.

Tuff Shine Black Restore:

Solution Finish:

Both these pieces will be cleaned with waterless, rinseless, or regular soap. As for application, Solution Finish is a bit easier, as it spreads thicker, more like a regular dressing. As for cost, SF is much more expensive at $30 an ounce. TBR costs only costs $3.33 an ounce. That means SF costs NINE TIMES MORE!!!!

Here is a tape line of TBR I did 5 days ago. Vehicle was washed once and there was a day of intensive rain:

[IMG]http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/02/e6uvuru6.jpg[/IMG

As you can see in the close up there looks to be some "chips" around the edges. However, this is where the tape line was and I tried to apply it "light" there to not get under the tape because its so watery. It shows no signs of degrading anywhere else.

I will update this in a bit.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Solution Finish vrs Tuff Shine Black Restore Test

For some reason I thought you were going to use the different products on the same piece, separated by the tape line, instead of using them on different pieces.

IMO using them on the same piece is a better test because different parts of the car may be slightly different material plus different environmental exposure.

Post Thanks / Like

subbed for results. Been loving your tests swanicyouth!

Although I do agree with Setec as far as the doing the test on the same piece. Any reason you chose not to?
    Nova College of Dental Medicine Class of 2017
    Please check out my detailing YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

Post Thanks / Like
    Great pics. Rooting for TS for its price.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    For some reason I thought you were going to use the different products on the same piece, separated by the tape line, instead of using them on different pieces.

IMO using them on the same piece is a better test because different parts of the car may be slightly different material plus different environmental exposure.
    I agree. It seems rather like the reverse of what you would expect if what I am seeing is correct. That is that the parts you are pointing to are actually where the product was used. It would seem to be better done to use the tape as a demarcation line between the two products.

Actually, I am editing this because I think what you were pointing at was the tape line separating the two. I guess I just don't know which is what, but then again I just woke up and haven't had breakfast so I am a little slow right now.
    Last edited by timsatx; 04-02-2013 at 07:29 AM. Reason: Correction

Post Thanks / Like
    They aren't on the same pieces. The tape line is just to see the condition of the product. So, mud flaps are all TS and rear deck piece is all SF. The mud flaps get more dirt, so I decided to use TS on them. I'm expecting SF on the rear deck to fall off fast based on past experience, so I thought I would give SF a little "head start".

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, its 10 days after my 1st application of TBR and 5 days since I started the comparison w/ SF.

First, applied TBR 10 days ago to this wiper cowl piece. Its seen: 1 wash, 1 day of rain, & no real signs of degradation:

The slight "chipping" at the tape line started soon after application and hasn't expanded. I'm sure its just due to the tape and nothing else, as its nowhere else on the piece:

So at 10 days / 1 rain / 1 wash its already exceeded "long term" polymer "dressings" for me. As, they usually only last me 1 rain.

Now for TBR vrs SF something interesting is showing. Both are holding up well (5 days old). However, one of them is attracting dust and pollen big time - and one is not. It's 62 degrees here in PA and there is some pollen in the air.

TBR (both sides of tape line):

SF (both sides of tape line):

As one can see, SF is attracting a load of dust and pollen and TBR is not. First I was wondering if other factors like location of the trim piece could be contributing, until I realized the area where the tape was "neutralizes" that idea, as that area is 100% product free. So, the only thing attracting dust would be the product.

So, its seems like TBR is acting more like a coating, since it doesn't attract (or hold) dust/pollen more than bare plastic. SF is acting more like a dressing

I'll keep monitoring it.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome write up! That is weird that the SF is attracting so much dust/pollen. I would have assumed it would be the other way around. Subscribed for updates!
    Nicholas Scafidi - CQuartz Finest Authorized Installer
    www.autowerxdetailing.com Auto Detailing in Sherwood, OR
    Like us on Facebook | Follow us on Twitter

Post Thanks / Like

Well the SF is on a panel that lays horizontal and close to the road/tires, this could be a possibility as to why it is showing more pollen than the other areas.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Stang Man View Post
    Well the SF is on a panel that lays horizontal and close to the road/tires, this could be a possibility as to why it is showing more pollen than the other areas.
    Not included int the contest is my wiper cowl which had the TS applied days before. It's dust free and flat.

After last nights thunderstorms, the dust was washed away. But, the no dressing area looks cleaner for SF.

SF:

Solution Finish vrs Tuff Shine Black Restore Test-imageuploadedbytapatalk1365688177-420482-jpg

TS:

Solution Finish vrs Tuff Shine Black Restore Test-imageuploadedbytapatalk1365688426-019079-jpg

Solution Finish vrs Tuff Shine Black Restore Test-imageuploadedbytapatalk1365688221-636760-jpg

Both are holding pretty good and now have been in multiple rains. The SF is surprising me, as it never lasted me this long before - I thought. But I never put down a tape strip until now. The SF does look a bit more "natural", so maybe it was there and I wasn't noticing.

No reason to use conventional dressings with these two.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Solution Finish vrs Tuff Shine Black Restore Test-imageuploadedbytapatalk1365688203-319685-jpg  

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast