autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Review: GTechniq G1 Clear Vision Smart Glass

Product Info (From AutoGeek)

The only glass coating that lasts up to two years! Gtechniq G1 Clear Vision Smart Glass provides a clear, protective coating over glass to keep windshields cleaner and clearer. The coating is resistant to wiper blades and outlasts ordinary glass sealants. Gtechniq G1 Clear Vision Smart Glass improves driver visibility in all weather conditions.
    Gtechniq G1 Clear Vision Smart Glass is built on the same nano-active technology as C1 Crystal Lacquer and Gtehniq's other innovative coatings. It bonds with the glass to create a slick barrier between the glass and the elements. Rain beads up and rolls off treated glass. Dirt is less able to stick. Insects and ice are easier to remove.
    Gtechniq G1 Clear Vision Smart Glass prevents smears caused by wiper blades and allows them to glide noiselessly over the smooth glass. No matter what the conditions are outside, Gtechniq G1 Clear Vision Smart Glass helps keep your windshield clearer.

Manufacturer application instructions and some (cool) videos
    Exterior Coatings // G|Techniq

Do not dilute. Apply at a temperature above 5oC and not in direct sunlight. If you are applying indoors ensure that there is adequate ventilation. Ensure that the surface to be coated is entirely free from fats/oils (we recommend cleaning and then polishing the glass with Gtechniq G4 Glass Nano Polish). For application of g1 use the application pad to wipe g1 onto the surface of the glass ensuring complete and thorough coverage. We recommend three coats on windscreens (apply first coat, allow to dry for 10 minutes without buffing and then apply the second coat) and a single coat on side and rear screens. Allow the coating to dry for 15 minutes. Once dried use another lint free cloth to apply the residue remover and then buff using a cotton towel type cloth (cotton is preferable to microfiber as the densely packed fibers of the microfiber cloth may remove too much of the partially cured coating from the surface) until you have removed all residue. We recommend buffing areas no bigger than quarter of a windscreen or half a side window at a time. On application it is recommended to thoroughly clean your wiper blades with IPA or window cleaner or if they are towards the end of their lifecycle to replace since heavily worn or soiled blades can judder on the surface.

Product PDF
    http://gtechniq.com/shop/3s-for-cars...structions.pdf

Presentation
    The product comes in two versions, 15ml and 100ml.
    Package contents: G1 (glass coating), G2 (residue remover) and some round cotton applicators stored in a zip lock bag

Price

Currently at $17.99 (15ml). I got the 15ml version on july 2012 ($15.99, introductory price i believe) and used a 20% coupon, it was a sweet deal ($12.8 final price).

Review
    My car have an all glass roof, so, lots of glass. I was using Menzerna PowerLock on pretty much everything, paint, windshield, windows, headlights, glass roof etc. But i decided it was time to try some glass specific products because i was not liking the durability of the PowerLock, specially on the windshield where the wiper blades runs. PowerLock is a paint product so it's understandable that the bond is not the same on glass. On the side windows, without the rubbing of the wiper blades, the durability is satisfactory so far though.

So, i'm currently evaluating GTechniq G1 ClearVision Smart Glass coating against Menzerna PowerLock sealant on the windshield. I was undecided between G1 and aquapel, but picked G1 because of the 2 year durability claim and because you have to use all the Aquapel once opened/seal broken. My goal was to check if the glass specific product is worth the investment, since i have a quart of Menz Powerlock (and other sealants).

I applied the products on December 22th when I last detailed my car. After the car wash/dry, the windshield was clayed (simoniz glass cleaning purple clay with ONR), dried, and got a IPA like wipe down (SONAX paint prepare).

Products used (forget the brush)

I wish I could polish the windshield with G4 glass polish (as per instructions) or with cerium oxide but I did not have them. Driver's side got 3 coats of G1 (manufacturer recommendation for windshield) and passenger's side got two coats of Menz PowerLock. The application of both products is different, but equally easy. They were applied as per manufacturer instructions.

G1 seems to be really volatile, so keep the container closed all the time.

Use nitrile gloves when applying. I didn't and it was a little harsh with my hands.

Car is non garaged, left outside at the mercy of the elements while i'm at work and garaged at home. Since application, weather here is crazy, lots of sun, lots rain and heavy wiper usage.

Results (so far)

Remainder: Menzerna Powerlock on passenger side and G1 on driver's side.

Hope you can see them in action in this short shaky clip. I can definitely see Menz Powerlock still protecting, specially where the wiper do not rub. But G1 is awesome.

Video (shaky and loud music)
    00024 1 new - YouTube

Amount used

I did some marks before and after using the product (half windshield, 3 coats). I believe with the 15ml version one can probably coat a windshield (3 coats), rear window (1 coat) and driver and passenger side windows (1 coat) on a hatchback like mine. Maybe all side windows can be coated, but not sure. I believe i used the correct amount.

Conclusion
    Menzerna Powerlock is my go to paint sealant. But on the windshield, where the wiper blades rubs, it was lacking durability. It is good if you apply frequently, with really good water sheeting when freshly applied, but I wanted something longer lasting and with less maintenance needed. After 50 days, the protection is vanishing, it can't withstand wiper rubbing much longer.

The water spots on the Powerlock side are bigger than the ones left on the G1 side (none are etched though).

No wiper noise on both sides.

G1 is going strong. Water sheeting is awesome and no smear so far. The next time i detail my car, I will polish and reapply the G1 on the whole windshield. Time will tell if it really lasts 2 years, but I'm sure I will get solid durability from it.

My test is inconclusive regarding the 2 year protection manufacturer claim and, to be honest, i do not believe it. But the test helped made my mind about an specific glass coating product. Also, i will probably test other glass coating products because G1 is on the expensive side. But now i know i want a G1 like product on my glass roof, windshield and rear window. On the side windows, i will keep using Powerlock, it is fine and cost effective there and i have a full quart bottle here.

If you are undecided and willing to try GTechniq G1, go ahead, it kicks ass and you won't be disappointed.

Best regards!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: GTechniq G1 Clear Vision Smart Glass

Trying to embed the video:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qCW16V3n88]Gtechniq G1 x Menzerna Powerlock on glass after 55 days - YouTube[/video]

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice review. Definitely pick up some g4 and polish before you coat the whole windshield to get max durability. I applied g1 back in August to my dd that, like yours, sits out in the elements all day every day. So far, going on 6 months, it still beads and sheets water fantastically, even in the winter salt and snow. Definitely a good product, great review.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just had a gallon of v7 delivered yesterday. I think ill be using it after weekly/ 2 weekly finish to top everything off.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" Thomas Jefferson,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ryry11 View Post
    Definitely pick up some g4 and polish before you coat the whole windshield to get max durability. I applied g1 back in August to my dd that, like yours, sits out in the elements all day every day. So far, going on 6 months, it still beads and sheets water fantastically, even in the winter salt and snow. Definitely a good product, great review.
    I got some cerium oxide powder. I will get the Griot glass polishing pads and use that. I think it will do the trick. Good to know its going strong after 6 months, really an awesome product. Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice review!!! Thanks for sharing. Looks like good stuff.
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the review and info.
    2018 Colorado ZR2

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marc08EX View Post
    Very nice review!!! Thanks for sharing. Looks like good stuff.
    It is, for sure! Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by pro 4x View Post
    thanks for the review and info.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have one complaint. I dot understand why you couldn't use gtechniq exo And avoid buying all these other products dedicated to different parts of your vehicles. That being said exo, if applied with two thin layers should last just as long. Why make everything so confusing. I don't want to bombard my garage with more products than I have to

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Bremec View Post
    I have one complaint. I dot understand why you couldn't use gtechniq exo And avoid buying all these other products dedicated to different parts of your vehicles. That being said exo, if applied with two thin layers should last just as long. Why make everything so confusing. I don't want to bombard my garage with more products than I have to
    EXO wwas released long after G1. I would say you are fine with eXO.
    My name is Jim and I am an Old Auburn Tiger.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast