autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

REVIEW: GG6 (Griots Garage 6" DA Polisher)

Lets name this one "The little engine that could"!!

The vehicle: 2010 Cadiallac Escalade Platinum ed.
    Condition: Heavily scratches and swirled
    Task: Paint correction (promised 70%, delivered 90%)
    Product: GG6, 5" White LC flat pad and Menzerna PF2500

Griot's Garage 6 inch Random Orbital Polisher, Dual action buffer, DA polisher

This particular vehicle is one that's being washed weekly by one of our local mobile operation (pardon me if I don't call them detailers). The owner is a good friend of the family, and for that reason I've been wanting to put my hand around this Caddy for a while (..... and around the guy's neck that is washing it, to say the least!).

So how did I finally convince this friend to let me have it?, despite the concerns that my prices where not exactly competing with his 10 minute "hack job". Well, this other guy can't wax a black vehicle to save his life, so it was decided that I should take on the task.

It was like an episode of OverHaulin. The family was leaving to go on vacation (Mardi Gras/Spring break) and husband left the Caddy in the driveway, with the keys in it. In the dark of night I was dropped off, found my way in, and "stole" the caddy!!

After finally making it to my shop, I put it under the lights and this is what I saw

Under the Brinkmann

I wanted to puke!!!!!

I felt compelled to call my buddy and ask what he wanted me to do. I told him I could fix a good majority of the problems but I would hate to do that if he was planning on continuing to use that mobile "hack". He told me to make it right and would make sure his wife would come to me for maintenance. So it was ON!

The toy of choice was my NEW GG6..... (more on that in a minute)

After the taping, I did a test spot using a white LC flat pad and my new best friend, the PF2500. It did what I wanted so proceeded with the correction.

For all of you that like to see 50-50, I am including the following.

I am calling the GG6 "the little engine that could" because I seriously thought I was going to have to go rotary and wool pad (neither I am very comfortable with). So, does it do a good job??..... HECK YA!

Well, a few hours later and the Caddy is 90% corrected!! She remains with road rash, a few RIDS, typical daily driver dings, but the ugly swirls, scratches and minor water spots are GONE! and the shine is restored. All this was possible through the simple action (double action) of the new toy....aka the GG6!

It is of note that I did take the advice of the forum and purchased a 5" backing plate. That way I was able to put a good bit of elbow grease. I am notoriously rough on my tools, bringing them to the brink (and sometimes I go too far).

This particular toy is no different. This is a NEW GG6 because my first one ended like this:

Yep, a broken shaft! So why did I get another one? Because AG and Griots are unmatched with their warranty. One email and I had a return label for the broken one, and a new one in the mail.

P.S. I do have a picture of my 14 year old son in action with the GG6, polishing on a BMW but I don't have his blessings to put it on the forum . The GG6 is advertised as user friendly "even for the inexperienced" and I will attest to that.

I have the 2nd gen, which is the same as the 3rd gen with better ergonomics, so they have addressed already some of my complaints. It does throw a bit of vibration and creates fatigue over time but I like it better than others I have tried and meticulously centering the pad (as Mike teaches) does help.

I do want the Rupes or Flex 3401, but the GG6 will never leave my toy box. I use it for correction and LOVE to apply sealant with it (using a black or blue LC pad)

Hope you enjoyed. Feel free to comment!

Post Thanks / Like
    NICE JOB! What speed did you use?
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like
    That's an awesome 50/50. Nice job. I have a 2nd gen GG6 to and like it a lot. I like that its easy to use a variety of different backing plates and pads with it in different sizes. Great work.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: REVIEW: GG6 (Griots Garage 6" DA Polisher)

Quote Originally Posted by FivePoint.0 View Post
    NICE JOB! What speed did you use?
    I kept medium pressure with speed 5. I checked pad heat after each 2x2 section and cleaned the pads frequently.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job. Great review too.

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice review of the GG6. I can't believe the amount of correction level you achieved with the PF2500. Nice job!
    2011 SEMA Meguiar's Car Crazy Showcase Team
    2016 Competition Ready Barn Find Porsche Team

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Pain View Post
    I kept medium pressure with speed 5. I checked pad heat after each 2x2 section and cleaned the pads frequently.
    Looks great!

The amount of correction you got with a polishing pad and medium cut polish at best is amazing, considering the car was heavily swirled! The paint must have been pretty soft.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Great work. I'm excited to see this because in the spring, I'll be doing my black Acura with the same combo -- GG 2nd gen, 5-inch, LC white pads, and PF2500. Wish spring was here--I can't wait to get started.

Steve
    2014 Audi Q5 3.0T
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport

Post Thanks / Like

my griot's garage is just so much better than my porter cable. It's my go to machine
    Nova College of Dental Medicine Class of 2017
    Please check out my detailing YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Pain View Post
    How often did you clean the pads? How did you clean them? And how many did you use?

Sent from my Galaxy Note II using AG Online

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast