autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

GTechniq C-4 Permanent Trim Restorer

GTechniq C-4 Permanent Trim Restorer-dscn0290-jpg

GTechniq C-4 Permanent Trim Restorer-dscn0291-jpg

GTechniq C-4 Permanent Trim Restorer-dscn0292-jpg

GTechniq C-4 Permanent Trim Restorer-dscn0293-jpgHello All, A few weeks ago, I decided to try this product on a whim, and purchased the 30ml Bottle.

It was a personal moment of insanity, and one can further understand why when they have the product in hand, and see the ridiculously small bottle.

The product simply comes in a sealed bottle, with a few Applicators which look like small Cosmetic Face Buffs.

So, I had some time today, and decided to clean up, and detail my 1997 Tahoe's Rear Step Bumper while I had my Cover off the vehicle.

Temps here were about 60 degrees, and I was outside, and in shade.

I first wiped down the entire Rear Bumper, including the Step Pads, and wrap around Vinyl Trim, and as well the Rear Tailgate Handle with full strength 70% Alcohol to strip the Bumper of any other products present.

These most like consisted of Optimum Tire Shine on the Vinyl, and Collinite 845 on the Chrome.

Once completing this step, I then simply went on to wipe the chrome clean with a MF Towel, and then masked off all Vinyl Trim with Green Painter's Tape.

The product has a somewhat strong smell, hard to describe, it's almost a smell I recognize from somewhere else? The product seems volatile as well.

Application was fairly easy, and as I applied, I did note more dirts, and black from the vinyl accumilating on the Applicator Pad. About the Pads, I used two from the Pack for this task.

The product applied similar to like one applying something like an Armor All product, coverage was relatively easy, and I only had to apply a second coat in a couple strategic areas, as it might have been soaking in a bit more in these areas.

The work time was good, meaning there was more than enough time to thoroughly spread the product, and insure evenness of product coating. As it went on it went on with a extremely high gloss, and the Trim, and Step Pads had a very nice dark restored look.

After I applied, and waited about 10-15 minutes, I touched the Trim in a couple of inconspicuous areas, and noted that not only was the product not dry, but was sticky, and was seemingly beginning to set up. As I did this, my fingers did leave small marks in the coating, and I did go back and lightly touch these areas up.

At that point, I was unsure how long a wait I was in for for the product to dry, and then was worried that it was never going to fully dry?

I left it alone for a period of about 1-1/2-2 hours time, and went to check again. The product still was showing a very nice high gloss, but at the point in time, I did not touch any of the Vinyl. At 2-1/2 hours, I checked by touch, and the product was totally dry. The gloss seemed a little less wet looking, but still very nice looking.

Now here's some bad news that I conclude at this point. Half the bottle is empty, so one could say it cost me $$32.50 to treat the Step Bumper Trim, and Rear Tailgate Handle. Absurd, I know.

I conclude that if I needed to coat all outside Vinyl Trim on my Tahoe, I'd probably be needing 2, to 2-1/2 Bottle of this product.

As for longevity, I of course cannot comment about such at this point?

As others have commented about such treatments, is it better to spend more, and have a product last longer, or spend less, and have a need to apply such a bit more frequently?

Pros: Seems to be a good product, I'm satisfied with the look, and ease of application.

Cons: An extremely expensive (IMO) product, seems to have a lengthy dry time (Might be temperature dependent), and becomes sticky as it dries.

Conclusions, and whether I would personally buy this product again? Probably not, it is prohibitively expensive for the amount of product, and I personally would most likely not consider this product again, unless maybe it was a 100ml Bottle of product, instead of the small 30ml.

The first pic shows part application of product. The others show the job complete.
    Chrome was done with Optimum Opti-Seal.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Re: GTechniq C-4 Permanent Trim Restorer

Thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like

try uttg+
    unless it is truly permanently restored, thats extremely over priced. But I've never personally worked with it..

Post Thanks / Like

You used way too much product. When it's put on thin it will dry very quickly and not be sticky.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    You used way too much product. When it's put on thin it will dry very quickly and not be sticky.
    Hi Setec,
    Perhaps, but it seemed if I spread the product any thinner, I was not getting the results I desired, and it was then looking "thin", and the trim not being properly-fully coated.

Isn't there the possibility, that certain vinyl parts might absorb more product than others? Perhaps textured versus smooth vinyl as well?

My original intended useage for this product was going to be my Windshield Cowl, and since this is a much smoother black plastic, I think I will be able to succeed in coating this, and perhaps the 4 additional Side Door Handles.

Very doubtful, no matter how hard I try stretching it, will I be able to also do all the black Vinyl Side Cladding-Trim.

As others have suggested, UTTP, and with some future next order, I will probably get myself some of this. Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD51 View Post

The product applied similar to like one applying something like an Armor All product, coverage was relatively easy, and I only had to apply a second coat in a couple strategic areas, as it might have been soaking in a bit more in these areas
    Products do not soak in They bond. Gtechniq products form a chemical bond as apposed to a physical bond. To coat all of the plastics on a vehicle like this, you should have used about a quarter of the bottle. It does not create a "high-gloss." The only high gloss you would have seen was because the trim was wet with an excessive amount of product. C4 will create a dark, like-new, look. C4 does not have a cure time. It bonds instantly and forms a thin product film. All excess product can be wiped off (gently!) immediately. Any towel you use to wipe off excess product MUST be thrown away. C4 will crystallize in the towel and render it useless.

PLEASE: Read directions (posted on the Autogeek product page!!) and research your products before posting misleading reviews!!

Owner of Dream Detail LLC

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for sharing.

After some consideration, I've decided against using another wipe on product for my faded rear step trim, and went with a Plasti Dip treatment. IMO, it beats reapplying products, not to mention how readily available and economical it is, plus the OEM-like, clean matte finish.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TrKent View Post
    Products do not soak in They bond. Gtechniq products form a chemical bond as apposed to a physical bond. To coat all of the plastics on a vehicle like this, you should have used about a quarter of the bottle. It does not create a "high-gloss." The only high gloss you would have seen was because the trim was wet with an excessive amount of product. C4 will create a dark, like-new, look. C4 does not have a cure time. It bonds instantly and forms a thin product film. All excess product can be wiped off (gently!) immediately. Any towel you use to wipe off excess product MUST be thrown away. C4 will crystallize in the towel and render it useless.

PLEASE: Read directions (posted on the Autogeek product page!!) and research your products before posting misleading reviews!!
    Well thank you for calling my review misleading. Sorry you didn't like it, and I'm not blending in well with you hoi poloi.

I've read through the very sparse application descriptions on this forum more than once. I've not seen much written about this product, and that's no doubt because of its high cost.

I am aware if the relativity of "high costs" of a product.

IMO, what's the most expensive product of all for treating vinyl?

The junk they call Armor-All.

I doubt I would've succeeded in coating all the trim on this full size SUV with 1/4 bottle. At least to achieve the gloss I wished to achieve.

So then the purpose of this product is not to create any gloss?
    Then for what I intended this product to do for me, then perhaps it's failed in a way?
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

To further explain "value", at this point, it is also hard to place a "true value" on this product?

If, such a product lasts, and lasts, saves me additional monies, and work for a long time, then this product does indeed have very good value.

As I've said about the lesser protectant product I mention above, I cannot even estimate the literal hundreds of dollars, and the countless hours of time I wasted on the use of that particular product.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing
    Mercedes C230 Sport edition

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast