autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Tuf Shine Tire Clearcoat: Permanent Tire Protection Made Simple

I feel like a kid in a candy store every time I walk into work. For an avid automotive enthusiast that takes pride in having a spotless car, there is no better place to spend my time than at Autogeek. With the addition of several new product lines this year including Chemical Guys, GTechniq, Nanoskin and Tuf Shine - it only continues to get better. Someone has to test these products and I volunteer every time without hesitation.

With Tuf Shine being the newest product line added to the Autogeek store, I deemed this morning the perfect opportunity to test, review, and share my thoughts on their most popular product - Tuf Shine Tire Clearcoat. Not familiar with Tuf Shine Appearance Products? Here is a brief background of the company:

Tuf Shine Appearance Products has been manufacturing cutting-edge surface care products for nearly a decade. Tuf shine Appearance Products has been gaining traction as an innovator in the industry with breakthrough products like Tire Clearcoat and Black Restore – two products that make long-term tire and trim care effortless. Tuf Shine Appearance Care Products are environmentally safe and effortless in their application.

If there is ever going to be one brand that is recognized world-wide for producing the most complete line of innovative, state-of-the-art tire care products, Tuf Shine is that brand. Tuf Shine Tire Cleaner and Tuf Shine Tire Clearcoat turned the car care world upside down by providing an unmatched level of cleaning (Tire Cleaner) and protection (Tire Clearcoat) abilities. Tuf Shine took something as simple as applying a tire dressing – a task that is usually performed on a regular basis – and made it permanent with Tire Clearcoat.
    TUF SHINE Tire Appearance Kit - Tire Care Made Easy

Tuf Shine manufactures a host of different car care products but they're primarily known for Tire Clearcoat - a permanent tire dressing that provides unsurpassed protection. A lot of people get apprehensive when they hear the words "permanent" and "car care" in the same sentence but Tuf Shine makes application of Tire Clearcoat effortless with their Tire Appearance Kit.

There is nothing more appealing on a detailed vehicle than a freshly dressed set of tires. Shiny paint, clean wheels and streak-free glass mean nothing to most car care enthusiasts if their tires don’t look perfectly dressed. Tuf Shine takes applying a tire dressing, something that used to be a routine step in car care, and makes it permanent with Tire Clearcoat. The Tuf Shine Tire Appearance Kit includes everything you need to permanently protect your tires!

The Tuf Shine Tire Appearance Kit includes:

• Tuf Shine Tire Clearcoat, 6 oz.
    • Tuf Shine Tire Cleaner 22 oz.
    • Tuf Shine Tire Brush
    • Tuf Shine Pro Series Applicator Sponge
    • 1 Pair Nitrile Gloves

This is what the tires look like on your typical daily driver: dull, boring, and lifeless. While you certainly can clean and dress the tires on a weekly or bi-weekly basis, some people seek a solution that lasts. For those people, Tuf Shine Tire Clearcoat is the product they've been looking for.

Before we get ahead of ourselves we can't forget about the wheels. Joann, the owner of the Pontiac that I used for this article, made it clear that if I was going to dress her tires to impress, I better make the wheels look the part too. Wolfgang Uber Wheel Cleaner - an intense, color-changing wheel cleaner that's safe for all wheel finishes, was the obvious choice to thoroughly clean the wheels before moving onto the tires.

Wolfgang Uber Wheel Cleaner - The Good Stuff

Wolfgang Uber Wheel Cleaner is a heavy-duty wheel cleaner that can safely clean the most neglected wheels. Months of built-up brake dust? Not a problem - Wolfgang Uber Wheel Cleaner can handle it. Uncoated aluminum wheels on a hot rod? Not a problem - Wolfgang Uber Wheel Cleaner won't stain or discolor any wheel finish. What's really cool about Wolfgang Uber Wheel Cleaner is the fact that it changes colors as it cleans.

Wolfgang Uber Wheel Cleaner, like any non-acid wheel cleaner, needs to be agitated to ensure 100% brake dust removal. My wheel brushes of choice continue to be the Daytona Speed Master Wheel Brush, 8 inch Montana Boar's Hair Wheel Brush and the Clean Wheel Lug Nut Brush. Between these three brushes I can safely clean every nook and cranny on any wheel.

TUF SHINE Tire Cleaner

After giving the wheels a thorough cleaning with Wolfgang Uber Wheel Cleaner, I proceeded to the first step in the Tuf Shine Tire Appearance Kit - Tuf Shine Tire Cleaner.

Tuf Shine Tire Cleaner, better known as the good stuff among professional detailers, is an intense tire cleaner that deep cleans tires better than you ever thought possible. Tuf Shine Tire Cleaner safely removes polymers, silicones, waxes, grease and previously applied dressings to leave your tires with a clean and natural looking appearance. Tires cleaned with Tuf Shine Tire Cleaner will arguably be as clean, if not cleaner, than the day they left the factory.

Within seconds of being sprayed onto the tire, Tuf Shine Tire Cleaner begins to penetrate and deep clean the surface, removing previously applied dressings, dirt and grime. In order for Tuf Shine Tire Clearcoat to properly bond to the tire, it must be squeaky clean.

TUF SHINE Tire Brush

Tuf Shine Tire Cleaner is arguably one of the best tire cleaners out there, but Tuf Shine didn't stop there. The Tuf Shine Tire Brush might possibly be the best $5 investment in detailing supplies you’ll ever make.

This ergonomically designed tire brush deep cleans tires, ridding them of dirt, grime and previously applied dressings. Its lightweight design and stiff nylon bristles ensure maximum scrubbing power with minimal user fatigue. The Tuf Shine Tire Brush is the perfect compliment to Tuf Shine Tire Cleaner.

It's critical that the tires be thoroughly cleaned before applying Tuf Shine Tire Clearcoat. If the tires are not cleaned properly, Tuf Shine Tire Clearcoat will not properly bond.

This is what the tire looked like after the initial cleaning.

Are My Tires Clean Yet?

Great question. You know the tires are clean when all the brown is gone. As you continue to scrub you'll eventually see white foam. When you see the white foam, you're finished cleaning. Thoroughly rinse the tires after cleaning.

No Brown!

TUF SHINE Tire Clearcoat

Tuf Shine Tire Clearcoat is the perfect solution for people that want a tire dressing that lasts.

Tuf Shine Tire Clearcoat could possibly be the one product that saves you more time and effort than any other car care product in your arsenal of detailing supplies. Tuf Shine Tire Clearcoat is a water-based coating for your tires that provides unsurpassed protection and a shine that lasts months instead of weeks. While conventional tire dressings wear off after a week or two, Tuf Shine Tire Clearcoat continues to shine, even through multiple washes and thousands of miles.
    In order for Tuf Shine Tire Clearcoat to properly bond to the surface, the tire must be thoroughly clean and dry. After using Tuf Shine Tire Cleaner in conjunction with the Tuf Shine Tire Brush, I made sure the tire was completely dry before proceeding to the next step - Tuf Shine Tire Clearcoat.

I put down a tape line to give you an idea of the type of finish provided by Tuf Shine Tire Clearcoat.

The Tuf Shine Tire Appearance Kit includes a Tuf Shine Pro Series Applicator Sponge for even distribution of the Tuf Shine Tire Clearcoat.

Tuf Shine Tire Clearcoat is thin so apply to the applicator with care. To say this product goes on sparingly is an understatement - less is more!

For any ridges or grooves in the tire, use the dabbing method for applying Tuf Shine Tire Clearcoat. For the larger, flatter areas of the tire, simply apply it like you would a normal tire dressing.

Don't Worry - It's Normal!

Tuf Shine Tire Clearcoat can get kind of foamy when you first start applying it. This is perfectly normal. The foam will disappear within a matter of seconds.

50/50

After applying three coats, I removed the tapeline. The difference is obvious right away, both in terms of appearance and feel. Tuf Shine Tire Clearcoat provides a durable coating that you can actually feel.

Finished! - Almost

Tuf Shine Tire Clearcoat can be layered depending on the look that you're going for. I applied three coats of Tuf Shine Tire Clearcoat which provided a slightly glossier than new appearance. Not too much or too little shine; just right!

Wolfgang MetallWerk Concours Metal Sealant

Since I was on a roll and long-term protection was the obvious goal for this application, I applied a quick coat of Wolfgang MetallWerk Concours Metal Sealant to the wheels using a Wolfgang Finger Pocket. This will help keep brake dust from sticking to the wheels, making future cleaning much easier. Its acrylic formula can withstand extreme temperatures and it provides a slippery, glossy finish.

Wolfgang MetallWerk Concours Metal Sealant goes on thin and buffs off without a struggle. The Wolfgang Finger Pocket makes application even easier.

Tuf Shine Tire Clearcoat is perfect for enthusiasts who seek the perfect shine or for detailers who want to provide their customers with a tire shine that lasts. Tuf Shine Tire Clearcoat does more than dress the tire to a beautiful, satin sheen; it actually seals the tire and keeps the factory lubricants from escaping. What’s more, Tuf Shine Tire Clearcoat has anti-static properties that repel dust, dirt, moisture and water. The only thing that sticks with Tuf Shine Tire Clearcoat is, well, the shine! Tires treated with Tuf Shine Tire Clearcoat will only require a mild soap and water solution to clean.

Tuf Shine Tire Clearcoat is safe for all tires including those with white walls or raised white lettering.

Last edited by Nick McKees37; 06-12-2013 at 07:39 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tuf Shine Tire Clearcoat: Permanent Tire Protection Made Simple

Truly jealous you get to be the guinea pig. How many tires/cars do you think you can get from one kit?

Post Thanks / Like

Just bought some

Post Thanks / Like

Great review Nick and thanks.
    2011 Ford F-150 FX4 5.0L -- My Flickr Page

Post Thanks / Like

Nick, great review. Nice tip watching for the white foam to verify the tire is clean.

Post Thanks / Like

Great review.

Post Thanks / Like

Great review Nick !!!
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

those are some clean tires. how new do you think they were?

I would love to see the same process on some 2 year old tires...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by y8s View Post
    those are some clean tires. how new do you think they were?

I would love to see the same process on some 2 year old tires...
    Based on the tread depth, they look at least a year old to me. Possibly 2 years as you said. Once the old brown rubber is cleaned off, it doesn't make any difference how old the tire is I think. Of course, an older tire could have cracked sidewalls, but I do not believe that would affect how well the coating performs. I think the test is completely valid.
    What I WOULD like to see, is the product on whitewall tires. Whitewalls are so difficult to keep clean and look different than black rubber. I want to see the difference on a wide whitewall tire.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting. I too, wonder how old the tires are.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast