autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Carrand Tire Dressing Applicator

Greetings again, fellow AGers!

I'm sure that all of you have, at one time or another, heard of the phrase: "The Right Tool For The Right Job", right? Nowhere else is this phrase more applicable than in the world of auto detailing.

With me, I would concentrate mainly on my car's finish, interior and glass, with little or no thought to the wheels and tires. When applying tire dressing, I would use whatever I could find: a grungy MF towel, a sponge, etc. It worked, to a degree, but I knew that I knew that I could do a better, faster and easier job if I had the right tools. Enter the Carrand Brush & Shine Tire Dressing Applicator.

A few nights ago, as I was finalizing my latest AG order, I pulled up 'tire dressing applicators'. I came across the usual items and I perused until I came upon this little gem. Below is an excerpt of the product's description.

The Carrand Brush & Shine Tire Dressing Applicator applies tire dressings evenly and neatly. Feathered bristles distribute the tire protectant while the sliding rim guard keeps your hands clean. Apply tire dressing just like the pros do it with the Carrand Brush & Shine Tire Dressing Applicator!

This got my attention immediately. This was something that I have never seen before. Normally the application of tire dressing ( I use OPT's Opti-Bond Tire Gel ) is a very messy affair, and I find myself rushing through the job, just to get it 'over and done with'. The more I read the product description, the better I liked it. Just the very thought of being able to do the job more neatly and more efficiently gave me goosebumps. I immediately added it to my Shopping Cart and sent my order on it's merry way.

Here's what the product looks like, IRL.

The entire applicator fit my hand perfectly and the bristles were super soft to the touch. There is a sliding plastic guard which I assume would help protect expensive rims, but seeing as I have stock steel rims with a wheel cover, I decided to forgo extending the sleeve downward.

After washing and detailing my car, I was just itching to put Carrand's applicator through its paces.

OPT Opti-Bond in an easier to handle 16 ounce self-cleaning squeeze bottle. 32 ounce bottle was too unwieldy.

Here's a neat little trick I learned from my dad. I use two 2 x 4's, cut to approximately 24". This gives me unimpeded access to all points of the tire at the same time, making cleaning and dressing a breeze.

Here's the amount of tire gel I placed upon the brush. It was probably a bit on the heavy side, but I needed to make sure there was enough on so that my camera could capture the image sufficiently.

Application of the tire gel could never have been so easy and mess free! I was able to spread the gel across half of the tire evenly and with no drips.

And you know those little ribs on the tires that somehow always refuse to accept tire dressings, no matter how thickly you slather it on? The bristles got the product into them, almost hassle free. I had to move the brush gently back and forth 2 or 3 times, but they penetrated into that hard to reach spot with no problem.

While the brush itself is not wide enough to cover the entire tire's surface, it was wide enough to get at least half of the tire. And when turned edgewise, could get into the area between the tire and the rim.

Before tire gel

After tire gel

All told, it took me about ten minutes to do all four tires, not including me fumbling around with the camera and nearly dropping it 3 times. Me so clumsy. LOL! My neighbors must think I'm in love with my car, since I'm constantly taking pics. I'll bet they're probably waiting for me to propose marriage to it. My wife may not like that idea, so I think I'll forgo on that proposal thing.

Here are my final thoughts. This is a great product! In my life, I've seen many products touted as being "The Bestest Ever!" Many of them fall flat on their faces and are soon forgotten. But this dressing applicator is a definite winner. What other product can make a dreaded job fun again? You guys gotta try this product out. You'll be glad you did!

p.s. Here's another product that's also a winner. It's free, and it can blow water out of those little cracks and crevices with ease.

Happy Detailing, everyone!

It never fails. Whenever anything hits the windshield, it's always on the driver's side....and at eye level!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Carrand Tire Dressing Applicator

Thanks for the review on this. I tried the paint brush with Opti-Bond and wasn't thrilled with it. I will be picking one of these up with my next order, thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Infiniti View Post
    Thanks for the review on this. I tried the paint brush with Opti-Bond and wasn't thrilled with it. I will be picking one of these up with my next order, thanks.
    It was my pleasure doing that review and sharing with everyone my experiences with interesting products.

The price is great too. A twin pack for ten bucks is an affordable and invaluable addition to any detailler's arsenal.
    It never fails. Whenever anything hits the windshield, it's always on the driver's side....and at eye level!

Post Thanks / Like

I tried to use a brush type of applicator to apply tire dressing before. The tire gel I used was Meguiar's Endurance High Gloss gel. The brush applied a very thick and uneven layer of tire gel.

I prefer to use a foam / sponge type of applicator. I found it easier to apply a thin even layer of tire dressing.
    I use the Chemical Guys tire dressing applicator (but mine is blue):
    Exotic Auto Detail trade review / feedback:
    Think twice if you're going to trade with ExoticAutoDetai.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review. I use a combo of foam applicators and the brush type. I find the brush is great for the initial application as you can get in all the ribs and contours of the tire. Then I follow that up with the foam application to spread it out evenly and wipe up any excess.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PPLd View Post
    I
    I use the Chemical Guys tire dressing applicator (but mine is blue):
    I have used the same application but from Carrand. My only gripe is the foam is on the soft side and tears fairly easily so have a limited life span.

My favorite is the type similar to the Ultima Trim applicator. It seems far more durable. You can find a smaller version from another company.
    Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PPLd View Post
    I tried to use a brush type of applicator to apply tire dressing before. The brush applied a very thick and uneven layer of tire gel. I prefer to use a foam / sponge type of applicator. I found it easier to apply a thin even layer of tire dressing.
    agreed, as the foam will push the dressing into the tire more evenly thus helping to prevent sling...

McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Great review!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the review. The before looked better than the after. The after looked like there was too much product..maybe a light wipe would even it out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bunky View Post
    I have used the same application but from Carrand. My only gripe is the foam is on the soft side and tears fairly easily so have a limited life span.

My favorite is the type similar to the Ultima Trim applicator. It seems far more durable. You can find a smaller version from another company.
    I found soft foam to be a compromise between "conform to tire curve" and "durability".
    A soft foam can comform to the shape of tire better, but it will tear easily like you said.

I heard people cut an old piece of cutting foam pad and use it to apply tire gel.
    You may want to try this if you got an old pad around.
    Exotic Auto Detail trade review / feedback:
    Think twice if you're going to trade with ExoticAutoDetai.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast