autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    McKee's 37 Product Support
    Post Thanks / Like

Review w/Video - Gtechniq G1 Clear Vision Smart Glass

Rain rain go away, come again another day. Does anyone else remember singing that as a child? I do, but mainly because I still sing it to this day. Rain, among other things, is an Auto Geek's worst enemy, unless of course you have a RaceDeck equipped man-cave, er, garage to park your vehicle in. Gtechniq, a UK company that manufactures a world-class line of exterior coatings, has a product that at least makes driving in the rain safer, and a little more enjoyable.

Gtechniq G1 Clear Vision Smart Glass provides a crystal clear, hydrophobic coating on treated glass surfaces that repels water, moisture and any other unwanted contaminants, excluding birds. Gtechniq G1 Clear Vision Smart Glass is resistant to wiper blades and will easily outlast other ordinary glass sealants. Treated glass stays cleaner longer and at speeds above 30 mph, you won't even have to turn your windshield wipers on.

Gtechniq G1 Clear Vision Smart Glass should be applied to glass surfaces that are squeaky clean and free of contaminants. Clean the glass first and if necessary, use a glass cleaning clay bar to remove any stubborn contaminants. The glass for this test was in great shape so it only needed a quick cleaning with Diamondite Glass & Surface Cleaner.

Gtechniq recommends using G4 Glass Nano Polish before applying G1 Clear Vision Smart Glass. G4 Glass Nano Polish utilizes nano abrasives and citric acid to cleanse glass of inspect remains, tree sap, light water spots and other contaminants. It's fairly easy to apply and provides more than enough bite when used with a Indigo Microfiber Applicator.

Use firm pressure when working in a glass polish by hand.

After removing the residue from G4 Glass Nano Polish, it was time to apply G1 Clear Vision Smart Glass. G1 is available in two sizes, 15 ml and 100 ml. Both sizes include several non-linting applicators.

While applying light pressure to the applicator, move the applicator in an up and down and then side to side motion to ensure no small area is missed. Gtechniq recommends applying three coats total, and that's exactly what I did. You should wait at least 2 or 3 minutes between coats.

Even after accidentally spilling some of the coating, I only used less than half the 15 ml bottle for the entire windshield.

Gtechniq includes a residue remover with every bottle of G1 Clear Vision Smart Glass. You apply this a couple minutes after applying the third coat of G1. Using firm pressure, wipe in a side to side and up and down motion, making sure no area is missed.

Lightly buff the glass with a microfiber towel to ensure all remaining residue is removed.

Application of Gtechniq G1 Clear Vision Smart Glass is very straight forward and when applied properly, Gtechniq claims it will outlast ordinary glass sealants.

A couple hours after applying Gtechniq G1 Clear Vision Smart Glass it began pouring rain so I grabbed my iphone, the owner of the test vehicle and I went for a drive. Enjoy!

Gtechniq G1 Clear Vision Smart Glass

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review w/Video - Gtechniq G1 Clear Vision Smart Glass

My question is, how long does it last? especially since there WILL be windshield wiper use.

I use rain-x monthly on my car.. about the 2nd-3rd week i see it weakening. I would love to not treat my glass for months at a time and still get that fresh beaded water rolling off

Post Thanks / Like

The test driver had a lot of fun with this review, and I have to say this stuff really works. I am happy my car was the test subject, since it rains every afternoon lately!

Post Thanks / Like

That video review is pretty nice. Looks like a great line of products.

2012 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 - Torch Red

Post Thanks / Like

A video made by Gtechniq said it should last 20-30k miles.

Quote Originally Posted by jrs1418 View Post
    My question is, how long does it last? especially since there WILL be windshield wiper use.

I use rain-x monthly on my car.. about the 2nd-3rd week i see it weakening. I would love to not treat my glass for months at a time and still get that fresh beaded water rolling off

Post Thanks / Like

I have some on it's way! Looking forward to comparing to aquapel. Nick, it sure would help if in the description it would tell you the estimated amount of windsheilds a bottle size would do. But then I guess someone would say the description says two windshields and I only got one and a half. Anyway! Just sayin.
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." Lincoln's First Annual Message to Congress, December 3, 1861.

Newport, Oregon USA!

Post Thanks / Like

Great review Nick...Love the video
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrs1418 View Post

I seem to get about 10-11 months before the need to reapply G1

Edit. Some people apply G5 over G1

Edit 2. Sorry, forgive my rudeness for not saying this was a great and well written review

Post Thanks / Like

I can't wait to see how it stands up to aquapel as well.. I assume I need to find a way to remove the aquapel coating before trying this? I didn't order the glass polish

Post Thanks / Like

It's great stuff, I got to test it out again on my way home, you can always count on an afternoon rain storm here.... all I can say is good stuff!! Thank you Nick for applying it, I do not think I will be using the wipers much now.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast