autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Product Review: Lake Country Ultra Fiber Microfiber Pad

Hello and good Monday morning everybody! Recently I received the new Lake Country Ultra Fiber pad and wanted to share my experience with you. It was a true honor and much thanks goes out to Lake Country and Eric Dunn!

The test subject was a 2005 Dodge Neon SRT-4 ACR that belongs to the owner of Realtune Performance. Since the car was black I figured it would make the perfect showcase for this pad, good or bad. To start off, here's a shot of the true condition of the paint on the entire car:

Quite a mess even though it only has 11,900 miles on it! More on this car later.

I'm not going to cover the details of the pad, that's best left for Eric Dunn and Lake Country to release. I will say though that the material the microfiber is attached to is much firmer than the other pads on the market.

Here are a few shots of the pad and in comparison to a used Meguiar's 5" cutting disc:

For my test, I used the Meguiar's W67DA backing plate mounted to Griot's Garage Professional 6" ROP, Meguiar's D300 microfiber correction compound, machine speed 4, and paint was cleaned with my home brew cleaner.

Paint before:

After:

Before:

After:

I was having a tough time capturing the true condition of the paint with my phone, which was used so that I could send pictures right away without waiting. Here's the best picture I have that shows how well the pad finishes down:

As you can imagine, the polishing step was an absolute breeze and required very little effort. Talk about saving time! This alone should pay for the pad.

Now I did not capture a true 50/50 picture and I apologize for that. I will be using the pad again soon and plan to run a test with it using M105, the machine at various speeds, as well as working on polishing with M205 and Optimum Hyper Spray Polish. My first attempt at using M205 was not pretty at all, so I stuck with Lake Country tangerine hydro-tech pads!

Final Thoughts:

In my opinion this is the absolute best microfiber pad for compounding. With the low profile and firm center, it almost feels like you have the microfiber material mounted to just a backing plate. I didn't use nearly as much pressure as I do with the other cutting pads on the market. I experienced zero issues with this pad from start to finish. It's much easier to keep clean using a pad reconditioning brush or compressed air (my favorite), and clean up is really easy because the center material doesn't hold residue like the other foam cores. I really loved the Meguiar's cutting disc due to the lower profile center and still love the Optimum polishing disc for the cushion while finessing the paint after compounding. However, once I get the hang of this pad with a polish I think it will be a cost saver in the future.

Well that concludes my write up. Thanks for reading and I'm open to all comments and questions.
    "Challenge yourself to live a better tomorrow than you did yesterday"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Product Review: Lake Country Ultra Fiber Microfiber Pad

Well, it's certainly furry. They are just going to have one, rather than cut and polish?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Well, it's certainly furry. They are just going to have one, rather than cut and polish?
    Exactly what i was thinking. No polish and only a cut pad?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the review, Richard.

If the backing material is too stiff, it seems that would have a big affect on contouring to non-flat areas of the car?
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Or maybe a dual Use pad? Change product and change the use.
    Any idea of a release date?
    "Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." Lincoln's First Annual Message to Congress, December 3, 1861.

Newport, Oregon USA!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Correct, one pad to serve both purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by SSizzlin' View Post
    Thanks for the review, Richard.

If the backing material is too stiff, it seems that would have a big affect on contouring to non-flat areas of the car?
    There is a bit of a learning curve with this one, but don't rule it out just yet. You do have some give on the material, just not what we are used to at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckskincolt View Post
    Or maybe a dual Use pad? Change product and change the use.
    Any idea of a release date?
    Correct, dual use pad. No idea on release date.
    "Challenge yourself to live a better tomorrow than you did yesterday"

Post Thanks / Like

They will be ready to go by end of the month. The rotary versions should be available end of next month.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pad Man View Post
    They will be ready to go by end of the month. The rotary versions should be available end of next month.
    Can you give us a little more info? Like what is different about the rotary versions? Or is it all classified until the end of the month?

Post Thanks / Like

The DA version is more of a disc. the rotary version is more of a pad. The rotary is thicker with a foam interface to disperse the heat. I have been using these in many applications for about 3 months and I am totally impressed with the results.

Post Thanks / Like

Great review Richard. Thanks for putting it together.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast