autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Yup, Tire Foam!

Post Thanks / Like

Yup, Tire Foam!

I can't stand dressing my trucks tires! There's so many nooks and crannies with a bunch of detail lines throughout. Busting out a paint brush worked well but got old quick and there was always excess around those little detail lines, even after a good wipe with a MF. So today I went to the old PepBoys down the street and bought some.....Tire Foam, haven't used one these in few years. I'm gonna try the AA Tire Protectant and TW Platinum Shine w/ Wax. I figure these might be better than not doing anything, which is how it usually ended up. I sprayed the tires with TW tonight and the application was a breeze, haha. Since I like a decent shine on the tires so the look should be just right. I'll be back with the durability and sling report, possibly real quick. NOT THE TIRES IN MY SIG
    Last edited by snowking724; 06-09-2012 at 07:08 PM. Reason: update
    Famous last words of a redneck- "Hold my beer, watch this "

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Yup, Tire Foam!

Looks great and if it works keep on using it!!

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Its advantage is ease of use; its disadvantage is durability. IF you own an air compressor, you can get a small air gun and do a 50/50 mix of Opti Bond and water and spray it on. I have done this a few times with great results. Here's a truck I used it on:
    2011 Sierra: The Power of DG 501

Post Thanks / Like

I use to do this for years before getting on AG. I use to get some Meguiars Tire Foam and then spray and let dwell on the tires for a few minutes. Then I would wipe off the excess and gunk at the same time, worked great but now that i know how to properly clean tires and wheels i cant go back to my old ways lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RhetoricMixes View Post
    I use to do this for years before getting on AG. I use to get some Meguiars Tire Foam and then spray and let dwell on the tires for a few minutes. Then I would wipe off the excess and gunk at the same time, worked great but now that i know how to properly clean tires and wheels i cant go back to my old ways lol.
    I use meguiars tire foam (and other OTC) on occasion - i don't have knobby truck tires, but spraying the foam and then spreading with an applicator will leave the tires with the right amount of shine. Using the applicator will allow you to use less product.

As far as the OP -if your method works for you and your tires, and you like the look, keep it up
    I believe in becoming who I am (Translation: You learn everyday.)
    <-Bubba

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought there was stuff in a lot of OTC tire dressings (silicone?) that caused tires to brown and fade over time. Does anyone know if this is true?

Post Thanks / Like

There's nothing wrong with using that on your tires, its what works for you and guess what, take some of that foam and spray your wheelwells with it and stand back and admire how that looks, always did this to SUV's and pick-ups, owners had to be shown this but when there were, they REALLY liked it.....alot!

I would suggest using the tire foam when the tires are clean but have a little browning on them but when they're real clean, well, the aresol tire dressing that doesn't foam would be my choice and I'd think it may last longer as its got no cleaning agents in it that lifts dirt out of your way, just thinking out loud, don't really know this to be fact, maybe someone can chime in.
    2022 Elantra N Cyber Gray
    Some say..."He likes Swedish fish because they're made with caranuba wax"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by richy View Post
    Its advantage is ease of use; its disadvantage is durability. IF you own an air compressor, you can get a small air gun and do a 50/50 mix of Opti Bond and water and spray it on. I have done this a few times with great results. Here's a truck I used it on:
    2011 Sierra: The Power of DG 501
    50/50 mix of Opti Bond looks perfect, IMO. I filled up a fine-mist spray bottle with this mix and sprayed a fine, even mist around my tires yesterday after washing my car. Forgot all about it after going inside to eat and when I came back out (an hour or so) the product had dried and left a perfect sheen on the tires. I followed up with a light buff on the sidewalls using a mf towel to make sure no residue spots were left that could sling and I was on my way. All you have to do is avoid having the product bead up on the tire so that it doesn't drip/run down the sidewall.

Post Thanks / Like

Not gonna quote them all but...Thanks Richy but hooking up the air compressor just to dress my tires every few weeks is still a little much for me, if I was doing cars daily then I'd probably do it this way. Tires get brown and bloom regardless of what dressing you put on, some cover/clean this better than others but they all do it. As, for the wheel wells, I already do that and it works great. I use the Stoners More Shine for that but only have 1 can left so I was trying some OTC stuff since I'm not putting an order together right now. Just trying some new stuff, seeing what works. So far the TW Platinum may be just the wells, it's collecting a bit more dirt than I would like, so it's on to the AA after my next wash. Thanks everyone for the replies and if there's any suggestions on some other OTC aerosol dressings please let me know.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RhetoricMixes View Post
    Had to quote this one. I can clean the wheels and tires like nobodies business, that's not the issue. The issue is the dressing. Thanks