autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Griot's Glass Sealant

Today I applied Griot's Glass Sealant to my second vehicle. These are the products I used:

First I cleaned all the glass with ONR mixed at QD strength and a microfiber towel. Then, I removed any light water spots that were on the windows with Duragloss Water Spot Remover. The glass need to be perfectly clean and free of wax and sealant to apply this product. So, I then removed some old PoorBoys EX sealant I had on the glass with a microfiber towel and some Sonus APC mixed 1:30. After that, I quickly went over the glass again with some Meguiar's APC+ mixed 1:10, just to make sure ALL the old sealant was off. After that, I then switched to a brand new microfiber, and once again cleaned the windows with IPA mixed 20% final concentration with distilled water to remove any residue left from the APCs. After that on to the Griot's. I decided to apply this product with a pink Cobra microfiber applicator pad. I applied it folding the pad in half, so I would have four total surfaces, including front and back. First off, this product reminds me of Rain Ex's traditional glass product that comes in the little 3.5 ounce bottle. It smells like it, it feels like it on your hands, and application is somewhat similar. That being said, this product is much better than Rain Ex. Griots recommends you apply this product in opposite crossing directions, let dry, then re-apply. So, that's what I did. It goes on clear and dries to a foggy haze. Removing it is a bit difficult, more difficult than applying a traditional paint sealant to glass. Again, similar to Rain Ex, but much better. Rain Ex to me just never worked great. After application, I could never seem to get the glass smear free when using Rain Ex. Removing the Griot's product is some work, but you are able to get the glass smear free and clear without too much difficulty. Also, I found spritzing the glass with a few drop of distilled water prior to your final wipe down really help make the glass look perfect. Another point I'd like to make is the price point of this product. The cost is a paltry $7.99 for 8 oz from AG, similarly, Rain EX costs the same if not more per ounce (about $4.00 for 3.5 oz). However, this is just a much better product than Rain Ex. The beading of water on the glass is incredible. Here's a shot of how tight the water beads on my sunroof:

The above image was made from a single spritz of distilled water from a spray bottle. Also, when driving in the rain, water just blows off the windows. As for durability, I can't say yet, I applied it to my first car only a week or so ago. However, once it's applied, it seems easy enough to "top it" after every other car wash or so, after the initial application. You just have to make sure your glass is 100% clean for initial application. Here are some reflective shots with Griot's Glass Sealant on my windows:

Here is a shot looking out the window. You can see it looks pretty clear:

*** Thanks for looking!
    Last edited by swanicyouth; 05-09-2012 at 06:21 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Griot's Glass Sealant

Nice! I have some of this I will be using in the next day or so.
    Shane
    2021 Honda Civic Hatchback EX Lunar Silver

Post Thanks / Like
    I just got mine Friday and I had the same thought you did about the RainX comparison. I too found it difficult to remove. I contacted Griots directly to make sure I was doing this correctly. He said this in an email: "I apply a first layer and let it set for 5 minutes and then apply a second layer with either the same or a new towel and let it sit for another 5 mintues. I then take a fresh Lint Free Towel and buff it off. It does take a little bit of elbow greese but not a ton. I also find that it helps to polish and clean my windows beofre application as it goes on and works much better"

I found only a few drops go a long way. Seems like a good value.

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

subscribed!

Post Thanks / Like

*** Durability of this stuff is still going strong (just had 4 days of rain here in SE PA) and windows remain very clear and seem to stay clean. Also, wipers seem to travel across the windshield with less noise and just genrally smoother. Water beading is excellent. I really like this product for glass, and the price is exceptional.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swanicyouth View Post
    *** Durability of this stuff is still going strong (just had 4 days of rain here in SE PA) and windows remain very clear and seem to stay clean. Also, wipers seem to travel across the windshield with less noise and just genrally smoother. Water beading is excellent. I really like this product for glass, and the price is exceptional.
    x2 Very happy with its results. The haze removal is a bit of a bear however.

Post Thanks / Like

Received my bottle of GG Glass Sealant yesterday and decided to try it out right away as they are calling for rain today. Like others have stated above; you must start with very clean glass. I used GG's Glass Cleaner. Cleaning each window twice just to be sure. I applied the sealant as instructions suggest and I also found it to be mildly difficult to buff off. Windows looked good this AM with very little condesation noted. Waiting for rain to start later today to see the beading/clearing effect. Will update later.
    I drive a Ford Expy and the wife drives its illegitimate offspring - a Nissan Cube...LOL

Post Thanks / Like

I used it today for the first time, very pleased with the outcome and had no trouble buffing it off.
    'Cause there's just something women like about a pickup man.
    Rich

Post Thanks / Like
    3weeks have passed. Still seems to be going as strong as the day I applied it. Wipers make that solid noise when they go back and forth, like you get in a brand new car. Also, we have been getting a ton of rain. This is an excellent product.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool. I just received it today and will try it out tomorrow.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast