autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Review: Chemical Guys Leather Combo

Greetings all. I was given this product combo consisting of Chemical Guys Leather Cleaner and Chemical Guys Pure Leather Conditioner to write a review on and after some testing I have prepared a review. Please note that some photos were enhanced to show better detail, those photos will be marked as enhanced. Previously I used the CG Leather Cleaner on a different vehicle with excellent results but failed to document the use. For this review the leather cleaner was up against very, very lightly soiled leather in our 2011 Buick Regal and will not be the focus of attention. Notes and final thoughts to follow at the end.

Enhanced

Products: Chemical Guys Leather Cleaner, Chemical Guys Pure Leather Conditioner

Package Size: 16oz. bottles with flip cap (conditioner) and spray head (cleaner)

Price: Varies by retailer - Cleaner - $9.99, Conditioner - $14.99

Scent: Cleaner - scent free, Conditioner - leather scent

To start off I snapped a couple pictures to show what little surface grime was visible, which was not much:

Enhanced

After cleaning the surface by spraying a micro fiber towel and gently wiping:

Enhanced

Ensuring the surface was free of any residual cleaner, I started the conditioning process. The following shots are after applying one layer of conditioner and removing the masking tape for the 50/50 shot.

Enhanced

According to the label on the conditioner bottle, after applying it leaves the surface dry to the touch. I waited 1-2 minutes and decided to test this and for squeaky leather, not a good idea! As you can see I nearly removed all the conditioner.

Assuming it transferred to my jeans I sat down on the door sill to take additional pictures and guess what? I left a mark.

Enhanced

Close up after sitting on leather:

The next test was against the claim on the label of "Formulated with stain repellants, and waterproofing agents that aid in the protection of leather." For this test I simply misted the surface with water.

As you can see there is no difference between the two sides. Not impressed I proceeded to wipe the surface dry and as you guessed, it removed the conditioner.

At this point I decided to clean the seat again and was ready to give up. Then I started thinking that maybe it needs to sit on the surface longer. Like some other leather products you should wait 12 hours for the product to dry and bond. This time I decided to try a couple things, a single layer of conditioner and a second layer of conditioner to see how much gloss was added. Take note of the "1", "2", and "No Conditioner", this simply describes the layers applied.

Here is a close up with flash on to show level of gloss:

Followed by random shots:

Enhanced

Final product shot:

Enhanced

Final notes and thoughts:

After allowing the conditioner to sit on the surface for 28 hours I decided again to try the ability to repel water, same results. The water just remained on the surface with no beading or anything. Using a dry micro fiber towel I wiped up the water with the same results the day prior, the conditioner appeared to be removed. At this point I just cleaned the surface again and left in natural form.

I feel the cleaner is a very good product and recently read that you shouldn't use it full strength. I believe the recommended ratios were 1:6 for heavy cleaning and 1:4 for everything else. The conditioner dramatically darkens the leather but doesn't appear to stick. It smells really good for what it's worth. The surface didn't feel sticky after applying the conditioner. Maybe this leather conditioner is better suited for older leather?

This concludes my review and as always thank you for viewing and if you have any questions I will do my best to help.

Thanks,
    Richard
    "Challenge yourself to live a better tomorrow than you did yesterday"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Chemical Guys Leather Combo

Props on the review! very interesting.
    A black 1990 Skyline GTR get a complete restoration : winner of AG' show and shine in 2010
    Facebook ; WaxxonSpa |||| website ; www.waxxon.com

Post Thanks / Like

Props on the review, bud!

I think most leather conditioners will be removed with water. A protectant would probably be a better idea. Plus, I think these conditoners add too much sheen. Leather Masters Protection Cream gives a nice ,natural look. I'm going to do the water test on it.
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 07 z-oh-6 View Post
    Props on the review, bud!

I think most leather conditioners will be removed with water. A protectant would probably be a better idea. Plus, I think these conditoners add too much sheen. Leather Masters Protection Cream gives a nice ,natural look. I'm going to do the water test on it.
    I thought it was interesting since the label says "waterproofing agents".
    "Challenge yourself to live a better tomorrow than you did yesterday"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by rwright View Post
    I thought it was interesting since the label says "waterproofing agents".
    I wasn't aware it said that! Obviouslyyy, that's not the case!
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the review. Awesome camera work. The findings speak to something i posted a few times here. What i learned is that most of today's leathers are

"coated" which means most conditioners won't penetrate them and just lay on the surface. I'm with z06 in the idea of a "protectant" is the way to go.
    2012 Dodge Challenger RT Classic Bright Silver
    2018 Ford F150 Xlt Sport 4X4 Magnetic Grey

Post Thanks / Like

Great review Richard. I have been using the CG Leather Conditioner for years. I love it and the smell...
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Richard,

That's quite a review and I've been looking to try some new leather products as I'm nearly out of Lexol.

I'm very impressed with your results of both cleaner and conditioner. The photos and especially those closeups show amazing detail and it's east to see just how much impact they made...

Once again, another great product review Richard and thanks for taking the extra time to document and post!!

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pats300zx View Post
    Great review Richard. I have been using the CG Leather Conditioner for years. I love it and the smell...
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyG View Post
    Hey Richard,

That's quite a review and I've been looking to try some new leather products as I'm nearly out of Lexol.

I'm very impressed with your results of both cleaner and conditioner. The photos and especially those closeups show amazing detail and it's east to see just how much impact they made...

Once again, another great product review Richard and thanks for taking the extra time to document and post!!
    Did you both notice that it wipes off with water?
    '03 Corvette Z06

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 07 z-oh-6 View Post
    Did you both notice that it wipes off with water?
    How often do you put water on your seats?

It did look like some transferred off of the seat onto his pants when he didn't let is "soak" in- not sure if he did the same comparison after the 18 hours though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast