autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation !!New Blackfire Massive Product Review

BlackFire New Product Review - Winter 2012

My trailer for this review caused so many comments I felt it necessary to include again:

High Definition Link: BlackFire Trailer - YouTube

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYC1kjrefFw]BlackFire Trailer - YouTube[/video]

By the numbers this review set some new records for me. Not only is it my first true video review, but I had to take it a bit overboard. Every shot was filmed from two angles (in 1080p), and a time lapse was run of the entire process. In the end I ended up with 65GB of video, and about 20,000 pictures (time lapse). Due to some file locking issues I ended up clocking over 11 hours of video rendering, not including the three nights of editing before that. I have made my most sincere efforts to cut down the review to be a reasonable length, speeding up sections and cutting a lot of sections, but in the end it is honestly a mammoth video. I hope that you have the patience to get through it, I will add some shortcuts to various product sections. Also, this being my first serious foray into the video medium feedback is most welcomed.

Before any big detail or review day I believe nutrition makes a huge difference, and I need some high quality fuel to propel me through this 5 hour review session. My breakfast of choice was a breakfast scramble with broccoli, red peppers, and some potatoes topped with a bit of cheese and enjoyed with a good dousing of Cholula. This super fuel definitely kept me going through my review.

Yum!

Before we get started on all of the video I can't resist using a bit of my familiar medium of photography. My car on review day was far from clean (but a lot better than what I would eventually do to it afterwards). We have finally gotten some snow here in Iowa so it had a nice spray/crust of winter salt/sand/grime that is a nightmare. Fortunately for me I had a heated garage at my disposal, which made the review possible in our 10 degree weather.

The before pictures:

Now what have we all come here for, and why is this so exciting? The gist is I was fortunate enough to be sent a few of the new BlackFire products to play with and familiarize myself with before they were publicly released so that I could provide information and feedback to the community at large. I must thank Nick and Meghan from AutoGeek for making this happen; on the flip side it put quite a bit of pressure on me to churn out something great, which I have made my very best efforts to do.

A bit of history: BlackFire is a relatively new line for me, something that I have recently discovered, and my previous experience with Wet Diamond and Midnight Sun has made those two products part of my go-to surefire LSPs. I was very interested to see how the new formulations would stack up. When I got the products there was very little information out about what the differences between the old and new versions were, so one of the things I was really looking for was to find a difference between the two while reviewing.

Without further delay, make sure you have a fresh beverage, and enjoy:

High Definition Link for the Video (recommended 720p or higher): Black Fire Winter 2012 Product Preview / Review - YouTube

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kixNblfC7LM]Black Fire Winter 2012 Product Preview / Review - YouTube[/video]

Shortcut Links:
    Waterless Wash: Black Fire Winter 2012 Product Preview / Review - YouTube
    Midnight Sun: Black Fire Winter 2012 Product Preview / Review - YouTube
    Wet Diamond: Black Fire Winter 2012 Product Preview / Review - YouTube
    Crystal Seal: Black Fire Winter 2012 Product Preview / Review - YouTube
    Eclipse Tire Shine: Black Fire Winter 2012 Product Preview / Review - YouTube

After using the products as you witnessed in the video I had a particularly difficult time finding differences between the old and the new version. Now that is far from a bad thing, because I have been smashingly impressed with the old versions, and there really was not much that I could think of to improve on, except perhaps the dusting with Wet Diamond removal. Of course on the day I do my video review both products were on best behavior and dust free, so I will have to revisit that point of comparison.

Question to Todd Helme:
    Is there any formulation differences between the new Midnight Sun and the old version. Is there any formulation differences between the new Wet Diamond and old Wet Diamond?
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme
    Improving these products is quite difficult because they are so highly regarded.Both products have been gone through but with respect BLACKFIRE's core foundation, we knew better then to mess with these too much.

Where does that leave us? Well, durability in short. With the application of both the old and new versions, I am enabling myself to test out the durability of the products. BUT WAIT you are saying in frustration, the Midnight sun comparison on the lower and upper part of the door is not fair! That is correct, and unfortunately part of the video that got cut was my setup of the roof as a 50/50 comparison. In review we have a 50/50 on the hood with old/new Wet Diamond, a 50/50 on the roof with old/new Midnight Sun, and a comparison between the durability of Wet Diamond, Midnight Sun and Crystal Seal on the body of the car.

Hang on! There was a product you didn't review! Well, yes, as you would expect that to make sure I have a good test of the Advanced Pad Cleaner, I am letting my pads sit for a few days to really get nice and hard to clean. I swear it has nothing to do with my aversion of cleaning pads in a timely manner. Seriously though, I had meant for it to be included as a part of the original review, however, due to the product launch I wanted to get the information I already had gathered out there so it could help people out. I will append my Advanced Pad Cleaner review in the very near future.

What about the durability of the Eclipse Tire Shine? Well after the review, as in the day after the review I went and did something a bit crazy and destroyed any comparison test on the tires … so I will have to re-do this durability test. Those of you with an adversity to seeing dirty cars should stop reading right about now, because although a shiny, well kept Subaru, it is still a Subaru; and when the chance for a RallyCross event comes around even a 5 hour detailing session will not deter it from getting down and having some fun in the mud.

The last beauty shots of the clean Subaru:

Video I shot of other Subaru's having fun:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ualqR4Em-YA]RallyCross - High Def - YouTube[/video]

Video shot from inside of my Subaru:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrro-LSOtc0]Rally Cross - Cockpit View - YouTube[/video]

Video shot from outside of my Subaru:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QubqIPKILl8]SCCA RallyCross - GoPro.mov - YouTube[/video]

A bit of extra footage I had:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8XoxYFq6Kk]Rally Cross Outside Turn - YouTube[/video]

And the aftermath:

Cleanup impressions coming in the near future.

Whew! If you made it this far in one sitting, I am seriously impressed!
    :yourrock: :yay :yippee:
    Detail Fest 2012 Face Book Page
    Club Flex 3401/PE14-2-150
    -Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Re: !!New Blackfire Massive Product Review

WOW - Thank you so much for the AMAZING review.

Video is very impressive!

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent review and great photos and videos! Thank you for taking the time to make and edit these videos.

You know its a good day whenever you get mud on the roof.
    2011 Ford F-150 FX4 5.0L -- My Flickr Page

Post Thanks / Like

Loved the video Bill.

I really want to try some Crystal Seal. I have never used any of the other WOWA sealants. But I think you sold me.

The tire shine looks very promising as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Bill!! I am so excited to see the video but I can't . I'm on my iPad in the and it just keep loading. Bad signal right now... No access to hardwire I'm going to switch to 3G and try to load it that way. If not I will be lookin at it via pc as soon as I get home.

I can't wait man!! I know you put a ton of time into this and highly respect the task of trying to edit a massive amount of video into someone people will watch. Also thanks for the analysis on the old vs new. I'll be back after I can watch the video!!

Oh yeah!!! They need to buy that trailer from you for the BFWD line!!!!
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Bill for the great review and videos! Editing in the video was very nice, must of took a lot of time. Did you use iMovie? I really like the flash in your video, which one is it? I'm looking into getting a better one.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Bill,

Awesome review.
    CORN FED STI

Post Thanks / Like

That was a bit of an unusual WOWA application...since the idea is to leave all of the product on the surface, I never use something as absorbant as a plush MF to do the wipe-on, always an applicator.

EDIT: Just finished watching the tire part...funny how the Tyromania is indistinguishable from the taped off sections...
    Last edited by Setec Astronomy; 01-27-2012 at 08:57 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Bill....very awesome review of the products and loved the rally cross videos. looks like ya'll had alot of fun doing that. Thanks for putting all this together. I appreciate your hard work and efforts that went into this review.
    Alex
    ...."Do the right thing...even when no one is looking"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    That was a bit of an unusual WOWA application...since the idea is to leave all of the product on the surface, I never use something as absorbant as a plush MF to do the wipe-on, always an applicator.

EDIT: Just finished watching the tire part...funny how the Tyromania is indistinguishable from the taped off sections...
    is that true as direction of how to apply crystal seal ?
    I think many product will be absorbed applying like that way ..

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast