autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Dr Colorchip

Post Thanks / Like

Dr Colorchip

A couple people had asked me to post some pictures of this project.

Please understand we were not going for perfection on this. Just trying to get rid of the chips/rust and improve the overall appearance.

The paint was so thin on this car there were a couple little spots where I could actually see the white primer behind the paint. I used the Dr. Colorchip like you would a touch up paint and wet sanding.

First I tried the product that turned the rust into sandable primer. I wasn't happy with the results. I then took a dremmel and cleaned the rust out of the chips, actually making the chip larger in some cases because rust was under the edges of the paint.

I then filled the chips like you would with factory touch up paint. I actually let it dry for 24-48 hours then used the blending solution like you would sand paper with touch up paint.

I actually ended up adding a little solvent to their solution to remove the excess a little faster.

Lisa at Dr. Colorchip was very helpful. They mixed the color by code and the first paint I got was a pretty dark blue green. She had me send her pictures of the car to mix the paint and sent me two bottles of the new paint and a bottle of white to lighten it if need be.

About 2/3 a bottle of the new paint and 1/3 bottle of the white and the color was pretty close. I was able to get close to 80% removal of light scratches and swirls out of the paint.

Paints not an exact match and but got it very close. It's not the way this product is intended to be used, but I think the results were pretty good. Thanks for looking.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dr Colorchip

Oh, mylanta Dave! Those are actually stunning results. I'm sure your customers appreciate this tremendous effort! Ima have to come down there and learn a thing or two from you. I'll pay in Sweetwaters.

ETA: I've never tried micros in Big D. You'll choose.
    Francesco

Post Thanks / Like

lol He was really happy. Paid me twice what I asked for, which wasn't much. He's a neighbor and friend. Now to see if the X-trees metal polish can make the trim look like chrome...

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the compliment

Post Thanks / Like

Afternoon Dave,

Well, now I understand why you've been so busy lately!, this is definitively a job of love and dedication. Most may not even attempt to do what you did because they will only be satisfied with 100% ( = repaint). I won't disagree, as well.

Like you, I really enjoy doing touch-ups and minor repairs. Sometimes I believe I risk more than I should when it would be 'much EASIER' to leave as it is... After starting, you'll have to finish. And sometimes you have to re-do it many times...

When you do the right thing like you did - even far from perfection, the results worth every effort invested.

Luckily your friendly customer recognized the effort involved in this detail in form of payment, but you have to agree with me, after such attempt and results a happy customer worth more than $$? For me, at least.

Great to hear how Colorchip support stood by your side,

Thanks a lot for sharing your work,

Kind Regards.
    “Nature is pleased with simplicity. And nature is no dummy”

― Isaac Newton

Mike Phillips

Nice work and excellent results!

p.s.

I edited your thread and hit the [enter] key after each picture to force them to line up vertically plus add a little white space between each pictures.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Phillips@Autogeek View Post
    Nice work and excellent results!

p.s.

I edited your thread and hit the [enter] key after each picture to force them to line up vertically plus add a little white space between each pictures.

Thank you Mike and Tato,
    Yes Tato Lisa at Dr. Colorchip was very helpful, and was thinking when she sent me the bottle of white with the two bottles of new paint.

It was nice to be able to play around with the product. I'm confident now that it will work great on the really tiny chips on the front of my car.

Mike...is there one of your books that would have more information and technique on using a rotary than the others?

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, those were some Monster chips

Nice work

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by allenk4 View Post
    Wow, those were some Monster chips

Nice work
    Thank you, yes they were.

Mike Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post

It was nice to be able to play around with the product. I'm confident now that it will work great on the really tiny chips on the front of my car.
    I agree it's a very simple system to use. For anyone reading this into the future I have a real simple step-by-step write-up on how to use the Dr. Color Chip System right here,

How to use the Dr. ColorChip Paint Chip Repair Systems

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT435 View Post

Mike...is there one of your books that would have more information and technique on using a rotary than the others?
    Yes. The second edition. The first edition was targeted at the PC and copies of the PC and the reason I wrote the first edition to be focused on the PC was because the majority of people in the world do all their work by hand.

The Art of Detailing

When they do make the jump to working by machine the PC and all the copies of the PC are what I call an entry level tool, but price-wise and skill-wise, that is to say they are the easiest tool to learn how to use and master, (that's two things).

My plan after the first edition was to write a library of additional books on all the rest of the tool "types" in our industry with the first edition being the foundational book to start with because it covers EVERYTHING like washing, decontaminating, inspecting, choosing a plan of attack, setting up your garage, I mean EVERYTHING a person needs to know in order to detail the exterior of a car from start to finish.

In the second edition you'll find the PC style tools plus I added chapters on additional tool sets including,

• Cyclo Polishers
    • The Flex 3401
    • Rotary Buffers

Plus updated a lot of the original information and included lots of new products as well as new information, there's topics like gloss points and gloss panels, jewelling, destructive paint polishing and tons more.

My how-to book on the Flex 3401 is solely on the Flex 3401 how it works and how to use it for both show car detailing and multiple approaches for using it for production detailing.

For someone that doesn't have any of my books the best book to get would be the second edition of my first book,

The Complete Guide to a Show Car Shine

The ibook version has embedded videos plus all the links are clickable so it's a MONSTER of a book with all the resources it puts at your fingertips.

iBook version

This book (the second edition of my first book), will provide the most information based upon over 25 years of real-world, hands-on experience.

If you're going to purchase a Flex 3401 then I would recommend adding How to use the Flex XC3401 VRG Dual Action Orbital Polisher to your collection.

I'm adding even more titles as I type this. In fact, if you look to see who's online section on the forum homepage you'll see I'm normally only online in the mornings for about an hour now due to other offline projects.

Thank you for your question....