autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Solution Finish “Brings Black Back” (Trim Restoration Product)

Thanks for the update buddy! I wonder how C4 over SF would do.
    My name is Jim and I am an Old Auburn Tiger.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the side my side of the untreated area, sf treated area, and the two adjacent "topped/layered" areas have huge contrast. Makes it seem that a topping of trim sealant is the secret to preserving the extra dark look, and that, furthermore, a trim sealant is necessary.

What I would like to see now is a comparison between SF and the various trim sealants. This may shed some light on to just how much darker the SF leaves black trim vs. trim sealants.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ted S. View Post
    I think the side my side of the untreated area, sf treated area, and the two adjacent "topped/layered" areas have huge contrast. Makes it seem that a topping of trim sealant is the secret to preserving the extra dark look, and that, furthermore, a trim sealant is necessary.

What I would like to see now is a comparison between SF and the various trim sealants. This may shed some light on to just how much darker the SF leaves black trim vs. trim sealants.
    Thanks for the post and thoughts Ted. On the van there is no additional product layered. On the test strip there's also a section that has no layer which is staying dark. if I layered SF on itself I probably would have gotten further darkening as well.

I'll add a test soon with SF next to UTTG and then 2 layers of each next to each other.

What I love is that I am able to layer something over Solution Finish if I want. You can't layer these products over the other restorers on the market in my experience. Except for C4 and Solution Finish. UTTG over Poorboys trim restore failed.
    Last edited by CEE DOG; 04-08-2012 at 05:18 PM.
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Aww Corey, this upsets me. I was hoping this would do great because I'm in need of some good trim stuff (Perl is pretty good though) that actually lasts. This update kinda killed it for me. BTW, I has question if you could find the time to answer (maybe in PM). Keep up the great work, I love your reviews!
    Trent
    PRD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TS656577 View Post
    Aww Corey, this upsets me. I was hoping this would do great because I'm in need of some good trim stuff (Perl is pretty good though) that actually lasts. This update kinda killed it for me. BTW, I has question if you could find the time to answer (maybe in PM). Keep up the great work, I love your reviews!

Hi Trent! Fire away- PM box is open

Btw: you think the fall off is that bad? Still looks great on the test peices with little to no degradation and on the van it is pretty good imo.

Heres the Before

And two months after application

Also being able to darken with Solution Finish and add UTTG over the top and have it work together seems to be working well.

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm, what about multiple coats of solution finish? Because keeping it jet black seems to be only achieved using temporary solutions like UTTG ontop of SF, but not SF alone.

Post Thanks / Like

Corey, thanks very much for the update! I have been interested in seeing how this has held up, especially since I bought some!! It certainly appears that topping it with UTTG or C4 is the way for it to hold its appearance the longest. I am disappointed in the van's fall off as well. I guess I'm just looking for magic in a bottle. When I use it, I will definitely be topping it with UTTG and charging appropriately for both. That way, you can justify the cost as it will actually last!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HellDemon View Post
    Hmm, what about multiple coats of solution finish? Because keeping it jet black seems to be only achieved using temporary solutions like UTTG ontop of SF, but not SF alone.
    Yes, I plan to do 2 coats of SF and two cocats of UTTG right next to each other as I mentioned. I agree and Chris mentioned in the Q&A or somewhere that on extremely faded trim a second coat may be needed.

Quote Originally Posted by richy View Post
    Corey, thanks very much for the update! I have been interested in seeing how this has held up, especially since I bought some!! It certainly appears that topping it with UTTG or C4 is the way for it to hold its appearance the longest. I am disappointed in the van's fall off as well. I guess I'm just looking for magic in a bottle. When I use it, I will definitely be topping it with UTTG and charging appropriately for both. That way, you can justify the cost as it will actually last!
    Thanks Richy! Like you and Trent I was hoping for perfection and no fall off at all for many months as well "Magic in a bottle" but after how much I spent on C4 and it failed within 4-5 months (on really faded trim only - still lookes good on the non-faded trim..) I told myself if Solution Finish can out-do what C4 looked like on faded trim after 4-5 months I would consider it a winner for faded trim.

Ya, I'm really digging the Solution Finish with UTTG topping. Apply SF, leave on 30-45 minutes, wipe off excess, allow to cure 4 hours or more while you go about the detail, then apply UTTG.

Well, I'm going to do some more applications, double applications, comparisons, and testing and also looking forward to seeing some of you guys add your own results.

Oh also note the section that SF was applied to on the test strip by itself only one layer has not degraded at all. Different plastics and previous products used and prep before applying may make some difference as well.

FIRST APPLIED

2 WEEKS LATER

2 MONTHS LATER

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

@CEE DOG...I bought he SF kit based on your review. I'm returning it to AG because i'm highly disappointed on this product. Particularly the running board and the bumper on my 2003 Sequioa. I like the UTTG a lot better. I haven't tried to layer on top of the SF.

SELF BANNED
    Post Thanks / Like

I also bought the 1oz Bottle from AG.
    I tried it on my somewhat messed up trim on my 2011 WRX, prior to my application i had UTTG on the trim and i used eraser to remove it.
    Then i applied Solution Finish with a high quaility paint brush so i wont get any on my trim.... but it turns out that UTTG outdid this product by far....
    And i barely used any from the bottle... unsure if i could return this.... but im gonna give them a call tomorrow... After all it is a 29.99$ product!!

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast