autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: Solution Finish “Brings Black Back” (Trim Restoration Product)

Wow Corey...I don't even know that much about Solution Finish !!!

I am just blown away -- I don't know how to even begin to thank you for the incredible review you did on Solution Finish. It's obvious, from the time, effort and attention to detail you put into it, why you are so respected in the field. Yet you still exceeded any expectations the forum may have had.

With heartfelt thanks and appreciation,

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Incredible review and looks like an incredible product. I just may add this to my next order. Looks like a no hassle product.

Post Thanks / Like

Corey....I got nothing. Fantastic and beautiful job as always. Will you be continually testing the durable under a routine wash/dry condition for a car that sits in the sun or is garage kept? I may have missed it, but how does it feel to the touch immediately after applying and after the 4 hr set time? If I can get a trim restorer to last 6-8 months, I'm much more willing to pay that price. Once again, beautiful job as always!
    Trent
    PRD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CleanGene View Post
    Corey....one thing that is a proven fact is your ability to review a product. Excellent job!
    No truer words were ever spoken!!!
    Excellent review, as always. Corey!

-Just a few questions, though, if you don't mind Corey.
    (Some things that caught my interest, that's all. I believe that most of what follows may be best addressed by Mr. West for his commentary.)

-And so that everyone will be assured...This is not a bashing of this product or any individual.

1.)a. From: http://solutionfinish.com/about.php:

Solution Finish is an incredible new product that restores originally black surfaces to a deep, rich black "wet look" shine that dries quickly with no greasy residue.

1.)b. From AGO: Solution Finish Black Plastic & Vinyl Restorer, trim restorer, black plastic restorer

Solution Finish by famed car fabricator and designer Rich Evans is an incredible new product that restores originally black surfaces to a deep, rich, black finish, without the "wet look."

My thoughts:
    The: Without wet-look/To a Wet-look...May cause some confusion. IMO...Shouldn't this be addressed by the parties involved?

Along with: (From the Q&A Section)

Corey:7. I noticed in the AG store web page they say for best results apply to a cool surface in the shade. I know that is rather standard but I tested Solution Finish in the sun as well and found no visible ill effects. Does application in the sun not allow the surface to darken as much as it would or affect the durability in some way?

Mr. West: Actually, Solution Finish likes a warmer surface rather than cold, so application in the sun only has a positive effect on the performance and durability. We have been told that in extreme cold conditions, let's say 40 degrees and below, it's not recommended to apply Solution Finish.

My Comments:
    IMO...This issue needs to be addressed, also.

2.)a. RE: Q&A session.

-Durability: ["Restores vs. Permanency"...<<Note: My words]

Corey:1. How many months can we expect from Solution Finish in average conditions?

Mr. West: Well, believe it or not, the term "average conditions" is broader than you may think. The average conditions in California vary greatly from, let's say, North Carolina. But, without being coy, here's the answer to the question: An application of Solution Finish will last between 12-14 months. However, we've found that the average vehicle owner usually reapplies Solution Finish in 6-8 months just to freshen and keep it at optimum appearance.

My Comments/Questions:
    -Everything seems to oxidize when exposed to our Suns different rays. Does this also apply to "Solution Finish"? -Will "Solution Finish" also outgas/degrade, as it were, being that it has penetrated 'plastics/vinyl', at a nano-scale?
    -Besides to: Freshen/optimum appearance...Are any of the above reasons I listed, or others, the cause for a reapplication within the 6-8 months time frame?

2.)b.Testing:

Corey asked:4.- Is Solution Finish particularly vulnerable to any specific types of cleaners people may want to avoid?

Mr. West:We are continually testing in this area and to date have found that acetone and extreme de-greasers drastically affect Solution Finish's performance and durability. Not so much in California because of strict (green) regulations, but in many states car washes are allowed to use a foam pre-soak in drive-through and full service washes which has an acid-based composition that literally cleans by melting a layer of wax or clearcoat.

My Comments/Questions:
    -Here lately...I seen many products introduced to the "detailing world" without being 'fully-tested'...
    -I realize that with new emerging technologies, everything-under-the-Sun can't always be tested against every product...But;

-Every vehicle owner, along with those that details these vehicles (owners/detailers), maintains those vehicles differently.
    -As such: There has been no mention of how to maintain the plastics/vinyls once they have been treated with "Solution Finish".

Examples:
    a. Car wash sessions: Shampoos /water-spotting
    b. Detail sprays/detail waxes
    c. Waxes---can they be removed from "Solution Finish(ed)" plastics/vinyls? (Some of us may 'accidently' brush/touch a waxing applicator against black trim---smooth or textured)
    d. Sealants and Coatings. Can they be applied atop "Solution Finish", with the attributes associated with Sealants/Coatings, being so manifested...Or not?
    -(If so, would the time frame (6-8 months) be extended, by, for example, the "durability of sealants'/coatings' time frames, before the need to: "freshen/keep at optimum appearance...would/should take place?

-Sorry for this protracted reply...And I also apologize if some of these comments/questions of mine may have already been addressed.

-Anyway:
    Thanks for allowing these musings of mine. Any additional information/comments will be appreciated.

-Thanks again, Corey, for your time and efforts for this review.

Bob
    "Be wary of the man who urges an action in which he himself incurs no risk."
    ~Joaquin de Setanti

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice review once again Corey and one I was really interested in seeing your thoughts on.

What do you think the results will be of the part that had OC on it? How much product do you think you used on the whole van?

Post Thanks / Like

I gotta back you up a little...you say in your SF review, that UTTG and WETS improved on the durability of C4 alone...I must have missed this elsewhere, but by themselves, the durability of UTTG and WETS was inferior to C4 alone?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dad07 View Post
    Corey Once again You have outdone yourself!!!!

Looks like a good product....little pricey....but if the durability is really there In mind it would be worth the cost.

Thank you for your review Corey! And the time you put into it.....

Thank you my friend!! I appreciate the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by LegacyGT View Post
    Corey ... AWESOME

What an amazing review!

I hope that your Mini-van will let you follow up for a few months to see how things are going, that was a perfect candidate (it also looked like a good headlight restoration sale).

I am really trying to find some thoughtful and insightful question to ask but I think you covered all the bases, so I will just offer a bit more praise and thanks for all of your hard work and effort that went into this.

The C4 and SF combo looked amazing on your test pannel, I will be very interested to see how this holds up over time.

Looks like SF will be on my spring order :woo:

Sorry we couldn't recover all your pictures, but you know what to do in the future
    Thanks again for your help buddy! I really appreciate the feedback as well! The van will definitely let me come back :gidiup:

Quote Originally Posted by TroyScherer View Post
    WOW!!! Corey I had to read through this review twice to make sure I got all of the information... You have outdone yourself again.

I'm surprised people aren't lined up at your door by now offering their vehicles as test subjects. It would beat have to go door to door...
    Quote Originally Posted by dad07 View Post
    Corey Once again You have outdone yourself!!!!

Looks like a good product....little pricey....but if the durability is really there In mind it would be worth the cost.

Thank you for your review Corey! And the time you put into it.....

Thank you my friend!! I appreciate the feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by LegacyGT View Post
    Corey ... AWESOME

What an amazing review!

I hope that your Mini-van will let you follow up for a few months to see how things are going, that was a perfect candidate (it also looked like a good headlight restoration sale).

I am really trying to find some thoughtful and insightful question to ask but I think you covered all the bases, so I will just offer a bit more praise and thanks for all of your hard work and effort that went into this.

The C4 and SF combo looked amazing on your test pannel, I will be very interested to see how this holds up over time.

Looks like SF will be on my spring order :woo:

Sorry we couldn't recover all your pictures, but you know what to do in the future
    Thanks again for your help buddy! I really appreciate the feedback as well! The van will definitely let me come back :gidiup:

Quote Originally Posted by TroyScherer View Post
    WOW!!! Corey I had to read through this review twice to make sure I got all of the information... You have outdone yourself again.

I'm surprised people aren't lined up at your door by now offering their vehicles as test subjects. It would beat have to go door to door...
    Thanks Troy! Thank you so much! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

I kind of had a time crunch on this one so I didn't really make any attempts to get a car I could use until the day of. You are so right though! Rejection is never fun ROFL but I was so happy to find a wonderful family that was all over the offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Perry View Post
    Amazing review
    Thank you Jacob

Quote Originally Posted by bigez View Post
    Awesome...thanks! I'd been wondering about this product.
    Excellent!! thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by CleanGene View Post
    Corey, only time will tell if Solution Finish is boom or bust, but one thing that is a proven fact is your ability to review a product. Excellent job!
    Thank you so much my friend, that is very kind and much appreciated! I enjoyed working with it so much I'm really hoping to see great durability because I love this stuff! 6-8 months on faded trim would be amazing. 12-14 would be sick.

Quote Originally Posted by Stang Man View Post
    Great review as usual!

That stuff has a great look to it afterwards, and seems it would go a long way with a very small amount.

Following their pricing guidelines, you would be "in the black" [pardon the pun] within 2 or 3 vehicles.

As an aside, how exactly would you push this? Would you sell it as an upcharge, or use it as a value added service for your more expensive detail packages?

Thanks again!
    Thanks buddy! This is a point that's worth repeating. It goes extremely far, I dare say farther than any other trim product I've used... But I also started thinking maybe I was stretching it even farther than I should.

For me it would usually depend on the situation but I definitely plan to add it to my A la Carte services area specifically for extremely faded trim. On my "No Limit" detail I would use it without even a mention if I thought it was right for the vehicle in question.

Thanks again bud!!
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SolutionFinish View Post
    Wow Corey...I don't even know that much about Solution Finish !!!

I am just blown away -- I don't know how to even begin to thank you for the incredible review you did on Solution Finish. It's obvious, from the time, effort and attention to detail you put into it, why you are so respected in the field. Yet you still exceeded any expectations the forum may have had.

With heartfelt thanks and appreciation,

Chris
    Chris, Thank you so much!! That really means a lot to me! I'm so glad you enjoyed it. As busy as you are you took the time to not only answer every question I had but also spend a good deal of time teaching me about oxidized plastic. Not only was your product a pleasure to work with but so were you.

Thanks for everything,
    Corey

Quote Originally Posted by SRTSean View Post
    Incredible review and looks like an incredible product. I just may add this to my next order. Looks like a no hassle product.
    Thank you Sean. You nailed it! Hassle free is exactly right... Sun, shade, didn't matter... Buff it off after a few minutes or more than an hour... still no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by TS656577 View Post
    Corey....I got nothing. Fantastic and beautiful job as always. Will you be continually testing the durable under a routine wash/dry condition for a car that sits in the sun or is garage kept? I may have missed it, but how does it feel to the touch immediately after applying and after the 4 hr set time? If I can get a trim restorer to last 6-8 months, I'm much more willing to pay that price. Once again, beautiful job as always!
    Thank you Trent! I really appreciate the feedback and also thanks for the offer and idea of using your UV lamp. Sorry I wasn't able to use your idea but I did appreciate that!

Yes, durability testing - Vehicles and test strips will be outside 24-7 and I will keep track of how often they are washed, etc.

I did not touch the product without gloves immediately after application but after buffing off and allowing to dry it feels completely dry, Just feels like plastic!

I agree - 6 to 8 months will be amazing if I can have that on faded trim I will be ecstatic. At the price offered if it keeps faded trim dark for even a few months its a win in my book.

Thanks again bud,
    Cheers
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Can I get A demo Kit

Post Thanks / Like

Wow Corey! I tried to think of something great to say, but all I can come up with is; phenomenal review as always!! I can't even imagine how much time, dedication, passion and attention to detail you put into these masterpieces. Thanks for all your dedication buddy!!!!
    Signature Car Care... Authorized CQuartz Finest Installer
    http://www.signaturecarcare.com/
    "May the shine be with you" Uncle Stu

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast