autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Just a quick post more to com

Hello all. First post on here. I am fairly new to detailing when it comes to polishing and things of that nature. My wife got me a DA polisher tonight and I couldn't wait to try it so I went out and did just that. The only compound I had is some old turtle wax liquid I bought a while back trying to fix my paint on my truck by hand...... Bad choice 😛

After lurking around on here a while and doing a ton of research and trying things I have decided to do this part time. I am going to do a side by side comparison tomorrow of a few different products that I can get OTC on the compound polish side of things. My paint on my truck is absolutely terrible so this should be interesting here is a little piece of my tailgate I did in the dark. Compounded and polished

Polished
    Just a quick post more to com-imageuploadedbyagonline1416618417-413770-jpg

Unpolished side

Just a quick post more to com-imageuploadedbyagonline1416618442-926555-jpg

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Just a quick post more to com

Welcome to AGO

When you use the AutoGeek "Upload Photos" function and then the "Insert Photo" button when constructing a post....they will look a lot better, get more views and therefore comments

Inserted Thumbnails are a PITB on my smartphone

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure what you mean ha

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

But on my phone they were super easy to insert

In time out
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is a great place to start if you are just getting started

Auto Detailing Facts, auto detailing Tips, How to detailing Guides, how to polish, how to wax, DIY detailing, do it yourself guides

Until you get your machine polishing technique down...it is really tough to give a fair evaluation of compounds and polishes

I would start with the basics like Meguiar's Ultimate compound on a cutting pad and Meguiar's Ultimate Polish on a polishing pad

Both products are very forgiving and deliver very good results on most paint. Price is a value and available OTC

What DA polisher and pads do you have currently?

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

They are harbor freight brand for now I plan on ordering the lake country ones very soon. And I agree with the ultimate compound I'm actually going to buy that in the morning ha. But I used compound and polish both turtle wax brand in that spot. And the appropriate pads with it

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

And from the reviews I have seen of ultimate compound, they seem impressive for what it is.

Post Thanks / Like

Just a quick post more to com

Welcome to AG and your new lifestyle. Before you start making purchases, sit down and do some serious research. Learn about SMAT and DAT, go over the polish chart that Todd Helme made, learn about the different last steps (hybrid wax, sealant, carnival wax, coatings), the different pad producers, types, and their pros/cons, the different kinds of soaps (more important than you might think), decontamination products, be ready to invest heavily in quality microfiber towels (product removal, drying, cleaning), and start coming up with your justifications for your newest, very expensive hobby (I'm married too. She stopped humoring me when it became more than a one time purchase).

This is just scratching the surface my friend.

And UC is a great product for beginners. Once you reference the mentioned polish chart you will see why it is not a favorite of the advanced/professionals (<-not me lol).

Newbie Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I did this with some turtle wax compound and polish same as before. This is my patrol car from work. I was pretty impressed with the results I know it can get better with better products and pads. I would like to have just a little more cut in the compound. There is no wax on this either
    Just a quick post more to com-imageuploadedbyagonline1416762661-585792-jpgJust a quick post more to com-imageuploadedbyagonline1416762672-912207-jpgJust a quick post more to com-imageuploadedbyagonline1416762682-995180-jpg