autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Review: BlackFire Wet Diamond Sealant

Review: BlackFire Wet Diamond Sealant

Preface: This review was written awhile back so may be a bit out of date from experience gained since.

Introduction:
    I’ve read a great deal about this product but had no plans to purchase it as I already have far too many waxes and sealants. Par Detailing (Jon) noticed a post of mine about BFWD at some point and generously offered to send me a sample in exchange for me doing a review with it. Thank you Jon!

Product Description:
    Wet Diamond, All finish Paint Protection is a paint-friendly, oil-in-water, emulsion safe for all finishes with or without a clear coat. This emulsion contains a small amount of a very refined mineral spirit in a water base. Multiple coats can be layered to deepen the gloss without drying or weakening the paint.

Initial Product Observations:
    1.- Packaging: Elliptical Black Plastic Bottle
    2.- Directions: (retrieved from internet) Work product until it begins to dry. Allow haze to form. Hand buff dry.
    3.- Consistency: Runny
    4.- Color: Light blue/gray
    5.- Scent: I don’t think any fragrance has been added but the chemistry of the product does give off a mild petrol scent.
    6a.- Size/Price: 16 oz. ($29.99)
    6b.- Size/Price: 32 oz. ($49.99)
    6c.- Size/Price: 64 oz. ($79.99)
    7.- Manufacturer: Blackfire
    8.- Made in: Unknown

Products used during application and removal:
    1.- Flex 3401
    2.- Lake Country Flat Blue pad
    3.- Quality MF Buffing towels

Method of Preparation and Application:
    I started by rinsing the car and then sprayed it down with P21S Total Auto Wash. Between interruptions from my neighbors I finished the wash process with my bucket of Ultima PGW and the same MF mitt I used with the TAW. After drying with some WW towels I allowed any unseen water to evaporate while I did some interior work and ate some lunch.
    Using M205 with 5 1/2" Tangerine Hydro-Tech pads on my Flex 3401 I polished the hood and the driver side of the vehicle along with a little spot polishing here and there. Next I used an IPA solution to remove any oils I had left behind in the areas I polished.
    Finally it was time for the BFWD. I grabbed a flat 6 1/2" blue LC pad and placed it on my Flex 3401. After applying an amount of BFWD the size of a quarter, I spread it across the first half of the hood and one fender. Then I worked it for a few passes on a speed of 3 3/4. I found that when you apply a little of the product to the pad it tries to soak into the pad rather quickly so as I applied some more to my pad I flipped the Flex over quicker this time and got back to work. I also found the speed setting of 3 to be better for me.
    After I had finished the hood I applied some more product to the pad. This time I was careful to apply a very thin line around the perimeter of the pad, which seemed to serve me well as I continued the process. As the product would be used up I would occasionally press the pad (with machine stopped) against the paint to squeeze any leftover out and then work that before going back to apply a little more to the pad. I’m not a fan of applying to one panel at a time and stopping to remove sealant. Therefore I continued and finished applying product to all painted portions of the car.
    Next I went ahead and applied it to the glass around the perimeter of the car (except for the driver side windows). I’d like to tell you I skipped those intentionally for testing purposes but actually I forgot and didn’t realize until I was removing product. The majority of the vehicle was under my canopy throughout the process. However, just a bit of the rear end stuck out and I was concerned that the hot panel and the sun would cause issues for me at that location.
    After depositing my blue pad into my pad solution bucket I retrieved a fresh buffing towel. With the short nap side I went across the entire car flipping the towel as needed. The product seemed to come loose easily on all areas including the spot that was in the sun. However, I did have issue with some baby powder like dusting (as seen in pictures 05 and 06). It also seemed that rather than stick to the towel the dust would just get pushed around. After switching to the long nap side and finish buffing, I decided it was time to do something about the dust. I didn’t want to spray any liquid on it (obviously) since the polymers need time to cure. So I grabbed my air compressor and blew off the spots where I had collected the dust as well as along the panel lines, door jambs, etc.

Noted Observations:
    Applying BFWD was a breeze and I found no issues. Removal of the product was very easy as well but had some minor issues. Normally this minor dusting wouldn’t stand out as it is no big deal and easily remedied but I have heard people say this is the easiest product to use and I found that not to be the case. It’s very nice and easy, just not the most trouble free product I’ve ever used.
    When it comes down to looks and slickness I am very impressed! The paint looked great and I did notice a very nice wet darkening affect. The car was so slick I had a hard time getting the bottle (see picture 04) to stay still on the roof for a picture. A little went a very long way (as it should) and I barely put a dent in what Jon had given me. I should have marked the bottle before and after but I forgot to. Sorry about that.
    The next morning I went out to take some shots while the beads (from condensation) were still there. I like to check the beads on a sealed car from condensation since the bead size isn’t affected by a spraying pattern or raindrop size. I’ve never seen beads as small as what I found when I walked out to the car. Check out pictures 16 and 17. My finger in the picture is about 0.625” thick. It looks like my finger is about 70 beads wide so those beads may be about 0.009” in diameter.
    A discovery that was not so exciting was sweating. It showed itself worse on the horizontal surfaces and especially the hood. See pictures 18 through 22. This sweating issue wore off quickly and did not reappear, but I thought it important to make note of.
    Over the following two days we happened to put over 500 miles on the car. Over 300 of it was on Sunday and I picked up a ton of bugs that day. By the time I got home the front was covered in bugs and it was dark. I went ahead and hosed it down in the dark with just a bit of light falling on it from the garage. I couldn’t really see the bugs and had to go on faith for the most part. I have to say the bugs came off pretty good considering. The next morning in the light I could see some markings from the bugs but I’d say the BFWD did make a noticeable difference in how much bug matter came off just from a good spray. Oh, be sure not to miss the last picture. Really weird… First the spot where no condensation collected but even weirder is the image to the right of it. Zoom in on it and the creature has hair. Weird!

Please take a look at the photos and rejoin me for the Pros, Cons, and Final thoughts.

01.- Before Washing

02.- Before Washing

03.- Before M205

04.- Product

05.- BFWD Dusting

06.- BFWD Dusting

07.- After

08.- After

09.- After

10.- After

11.- After

12.- After

13.- After

14.- After

15.- After

16.- Beads

17.- Beads

18.- Sweating

19.- Sweating

20.- Sweating

21.- Sweating

22.- Weird Anomaly

Pros:
    1.- Application: Quick and painless
    2.- Looks: Beautiful deep wet shine
    3.- Slick: Leaves a very slick surface
    4,- Hydrophobic: Water runs from BFWD like it’s the plague

Cons:
    1.- Slight bit of dust during removal of product.
    2.- Streaky the next morning

???:
    1.- What is the creature in picture 22?

Final Observations and Summary:
    This is a very nice sealant that leaves great looks and a very smooth slick finish. I had my wife touch the paint and she was extremely impressed. We also touched the glass that I hadn’t applied it to and then that which I had. Of course there was a night and day difference. While application/removal isn’t the most trouble free of any product I’ve used it is very easy. The looks are enough to make me want to give this a shot on my Sky. The paint on Sky doesn’t have all the rock chips and is in great condition so I am curious to see how it looks on her.

UPDATE MANY MONTHS AFTER THIS REVIEW WAS COMPLETED:

BFWD is one of my favorite 3 sealants. If I was pressed I might have to pick it. It comes in near the top in ease of use and is one of my top 2 in looks.

-
    Last edited by CEE DOG; 07-15-2011 at 07:04 PM.
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Super Member ObsessiveAutoDetail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review: BlackFire Wet Diamond Sealant

I trust that no Cuervo was harmed during the production of this review...!
    Josh Bachman
    Obsessive Auto & Marine Detail
    www.obsessiveautodetail.com

Post Thanks / Like

LOL Corey you just had to be the first one in the review wars now that Blackfire is at AG.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IOMCAMARO View Post
    LOL Corey you just had to be the first one in the review wars now that Blackfire is at AG.
    I was thinking the same thing!! What a coincidence huh!!

As always Corey, another stellar review of another fine product!!

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CEE DOG View Post

What is the creature in picture 22?

Some kind of bird... I can't tell. A pelican perhaps?
    Enrique - Amateur Detailer Extraordinaire
    "Man is an emotional animal, occasionally rational; and through his feelings he can be deceived to his heart's content." - Durant

Post Thanks / Like

Well done Corey!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Another good review. And very appropriate timing.
    Luxury Mobile Auto Detailing
    Pensacola & Orlando

Post Thanks / Like

Oh that's just dirty Corey

Hello my name is Sean

Post Thanks / Like

Another Great review Corey!
    It really looks like the paint is a lot darker or is that just the lighting? Have you (or anyone else) used BFWD on black paint? If so, how does it look?
    Dave

Black is not a color, it's a part time job!

Post Thanks / Like

BFWD is a great sealant. I've used it many times. On dark colors (incl. black) it gives a great deep look with excellent reflection and incredible slickness...ala a wet diamond.

I have never had the dusting or re-hazing (sweating) problems mentioned in the OP. I am sure many others will chime in now on its merits. Great to see Blackfire and Todd Helme added to PBMG.

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast