autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Dewalt DP849 Vs. Dewalt DWP849X Vs. Makita 9227c Vs. Flex pe14

I'm no where near an expert at product review and nor do I really have the times to write a super duper exhausive review about this but I still manage to took some pictures to compare and then will post my pro and cons vs all 3.

First of all,

I need to say that my initial comments and reaction over the new dewalt was that they simply copied Makita and if you own a makita it's not worth it. After 5 cars, I still think the same. Overall, they didn't do anything special that the makita didn't have to start with.

I must also say that I think the older dewalt is a very very basic rotary and coming from a makita, that machine is worthless to be polite lol!

Old Dewalt DW849 Vs. new Dewalt:

The body is now slimmer.

The glove is a nice added touch to the packaging:

Heatshield make it look more solid:

Notice on this picture that the handle is pretty much the same thing, just that they covered it in rubber instead, but really same exact profile.

Power cord is pretty much the same as the older one. both feel heavy duty.

The head is another nice added touch, still pretty much the same design but slligthly more curved and rubberized.

Both machine have the little step so when you drop your machine your not hitting the head but the bump instead. nice.

NOW THAT'S THE FEATURE I LIKE THE MOST!

The button on the side ( let's call it the holder lol) was way too small on the older one, Everytime I almost needed my 2 arms to push it, it was so much NOT ergonomic. Thanks they make the button bigger and moved it toward a bit so it's easier to press it.

Another thing coming from the makita, I have to have the rotary button on top, that's how I got used to polish and I don't want to change that. To me, it's the only way you can quickly see what's speed your working on.

So here's my part 1.

Comparaison.:

Weight: Clearly the flex is more balanced and ligther than all 3 others. The weight of the 849x and makita is the same but the dewalt is more balanced. think about how heavy the head of the makita is. all the weight is put in front of the head.

I'm a hockey player. played all my life. a good balanced stick is the key to nejoy your hockey stick I think the weight of a machine is worthless spec. what's important is how it's balanced.

Ergonomic: Again, forget the old dewalt, it's far behind. Makita is not super hot. Clearly, I like how the new dewalt is slimmer and the head fit nicely in your palm. Is the flex better? Maybe for someone with very small hand you would find it better but for something with regular sized hand( fit large glove), the dewalt is just fine, no problem here.

The rubber on the 849x make it feel just like the Flex.

Volume: Old dewalt and makita is quite horrible. After using the flex and the 849X, I'm having a hard time using the makita.. these 2 machines are so much quieter. LOVE IT !!! True, the flex is *slightly* quieter but... I doubt that would be the reason that would make buy it or go dewalt seriously. different is very slight.

Starting the machine:

I must say, I learned to work on a makita, and I had a hard time getting used to the top rotary button but on the side of the older dewalt. the makita is for sure perfect to me. I couldn't get used to the flex's button on the side of the machine.. I simply couldn't. the new dewalt is pretty much like the makita so I like it.

Soft start:

I think you have to gives to cesar what cesar deserves right? Well, makita is the one who started this feature and it's been copied after by flex. the new dewalt is weird.. it's start like at 1200 in soft start and then it goes back to 1000. it seems to always start faster for like 1 second and then go back to your desired speed. Don't know why?

Power cord: Makita cord is SH*T. How many times I got frustrated about this cord ripping off and having to sold it back etc. Every month lol. Flex doesn't feel any better than makita. and both dewalt are clearly more robust. I hope they don't rip like makita.

To conclude:

The Flex is not worth 200$ more than the dewalt, Maybe if you have very small hand, want the quietest possible machine and can,t lift more than 5lbs, then I guess the flex is for you. If not, you would much prefer have a dewalt and a back-up than one Flex.

The new dewalt is now my number 1 machine and if it's break. I will use my makita as a backup for the time, I receive my other 849x or get it repaired. the better ergonomic and the quieter motor is enought for me to swith my oh-so-loved-and-frist-sentimental-machine to the new 849x.
    A black 1990 Skyline GTR get a complete restoration : winner of AG' show and shine in 2010
    Facebook ; WaxxonSpa |||| website ; www.waxxon.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Dewalt DP849 Vs. Dewalt DWP849X Vs. Makita 9227c Vs. Flex pe14

i have yet to find a reason the new dewalt starts fast then slows down either.
    You. You're good you. No, no you're better then good, you're REALLY good.
    Names Jesse. Mad Skillz? I has them.

Post Thanks / Like

Video showcasing the difference in sound!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1SOYOB4rT0]YouTube - ‪MOV08354‬‏[/video]
    A black 1990 Skyline GTR get a complete restoration : winner of AG' show and shine in 2010

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for this fine comparison.
    My name is Jim and I am an Old Auburn Tiger.

Post Thanks / Like

pleasure!