autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 11 of 37 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Review and Extreme Testing: Opti-Coat 2.0 and CQuartz

Holy awesome review Batman! Great job Corey, and thanks for the in depth and time taken to give such a great review.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by richy View Post
    Corey, like we were talking about on L2D chat, it will benefit everyone greatly to have a realistic test that tests the coatings in a way that would reflect the kind of challenges that face any surface protection. The difficulty lies in creating a test that is aggressive enough yet still is realistic to everyday car care. I'm hoping rubbing a coarse mf across a dry surface will be enough to induce some marks as that would be a good, reasonable, appropriate test. If not, back to the drawing board. Thanks so much for your continued efforts!!
    How about shooting a bb gun from a rest at a junk panel that is tilted so it's not a direct hit. That would simulate an indirect rock at highway speeds. And for a wash marring test put sand in with wash water and shampoo and make sure to drag the mitt through it.

Sent from my iPad 2 viaTapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

A super, excellent job of reporting. Detailed and comprehensive, yet delivered in a way where even a novice like me or someone who has no understanding at all of the subject matter could comprehend the facts and results of your study. Thank you, your work made it easier for me to understand these two products that frankly kind of intimidated me. You made it clearer to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris@Optimum View Post
    How about shooting a bb gun from a rest at a junk panel that is tilted so it's not a direct hit. That would simulate an indirect rock at highway speeds. And for a wash marring test put sand in with wash water and shampoo and make sure to drag the mitt through it.

Sent from my iPad 2 viaTapatalk
    That would be interesting (popcorn eating smiley here).
    Team Flex PE14-2 150(Serial#0005)/3401/3403/XFE 7-15

Post Thanks / Like

Please keep us up to date!

Post Thanks / Like

1 Month update:

I just wanted to give a quick update with a couple observations.

First the good:
    In the area on the roof that had catostrophic clearcoat failure it is holding up very well! After 1 month not one single spot has started to peel. It's only a matter of time but I am surprised it even helped for this long.

Now the bad and the ugly:

I've seen a lot of people say how incredible these coatings self clean or release dirt. While I think there is an improvement I haven't witnessed anything on the level that others talk about. Dirt is released easier but bugs that got splattered on your car and left for a week are not coming off easily. I would say get that image out of your mind. I hope some more people will speak up and tell me I am wrong or right based on what they have seen.

Specifically I found on paint neither coating helped me remove baked on love bugs (maybe I was asking too much) On glass (windshield) I found the Opticoat did outperform Cquartz in ease of removing the bugs. The Opticoat side of the windshield was easier to rid of bugs.
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Corey I don't think many members on this forum have done anything this in depth as you have done.

Now I might be wrong in saying this but you really have gone above and beyond what a normal reviewer would do, seriously much more then any.

And again thanks for your update
    Hello my name is Sean

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CEE DOG View Post
    1 Month update:

I just wanted to give a quick update with a couple observations.

First the good:
    In the area on the roof that had catostrophic clearcoat failure it is holding up very well! After 1 month not one single spot has started to peel. It's only a matter of time but I am surprised it even helped for this long.

Now the bad and the ugly:

I've seen a lot of people say how incredible these coatings self clean or release dirt. While I think there is an improvement I haven't witnessed anything on the level that others talk about. Dirt is released easier but bugs that got splattered on your car and left for a week are not coming off easily. I would say get that image out of your mind. I hope some more people will speak up and tell me I am wrong or right based on what they have seen.

Specifically I found on paint neither coating helped me remove baked on love bugs (maybe I was asking too much) On glass (windshield) I found the Opticoat did outperform Cquartz in ease of removing the bugs. The Opticoat side of the windshield was easier to rid of bugs.
    I agree the bugs don't come off paint as easily as some have described or I had hoped. Perhaps somewhat better than with a good sealant. They come off better on the windshield but not particularly better than with Aquapel. With me the jury is still out on well dirt is released.
    Doug
    2008 Audi A6 S-line

Post Thanks / Like

Bugs and debris release better...and baked on bugs release better are two different statements. I would always recommend getting bird bombs and bugs off ASAP or else you are only using the coating as a sacrificial barrier. An interesting thing we've noticed about bird bombs is that sometimes they appear to have etched the coating, but then later the etching disappears. I can't really explain it, but it is very cool.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chris@Optimum View Post
    Bugs and debris release better...and baked on bugs release better are two different statements. I would always recommend getting bird bombs and bugs off ASAP or else you are only using the coating as a sacrificial barrier. An interesting thing we've noticed about bird bombs is that sometimes they appear to have etched the coating, but then later the etching disappears. I can't really explain it, but it is very cool.
    Maybe the OC is self healing itself from the bird bomb etching?
    Team Flex PE14-2 150(Serial#0005)/3401/3403/XFE 7-15

Page 11 of 37 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast