autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trim/Plastic Restorers - 4 different products

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Yes, I'd say that explains the oily spots. I like that Meg's Ultimate trim stuff, it does seem to last a couple of months, and the Ultima may be even better, but I mostly use these kinds of products on windshield cowlings that have ridges and slots and hard to reach areas, so the appeal of having a permanent or at least 2 year (C4) solution is pretty strong...
    Alright well I looked at my bottle of Black Wow and no where on the bottle does it state to buff off (or even wipe off). However, the directions on the AG website in the description of the product does say to wipe off. then if you applying it prior to washing the car to buff off the excess.

My bottles directions are exactly this:

Work sesame seed sized drops into material and allow to fully absorb. Repeat as necessary. For best results, multiple application over time is better than all at one time. Allow at least 4 to 5 hours to absorb before getting wet.

I followed the directions on the bottle. Obviously I should have wiped the excess off and I probably wouldn't have ended up with the oily spots so much. So, for those trying Black Wow ensure you wipe off excess to ensure you get a matte finish. (your bottle may not say it either).

Just as an update the Ultima is still holding up well. Hasn't faded much more than what it was the other day. Everything else is about the same as well. I plan to hopefully wash the truck in next day or 2. I'll post some updates then.

Post Thanks / Like

subscribed - not thrilled with megs UP, 303, or black again for exterior trim. wanna see how things turn out in the long run here.

Post Thanks / Like

Great review. I'm interested in seeing how long the Ultima lasts. My wife has a Mini Cooper S and the plastic wheel arches are a PAIN! I've used black wow and it didn't seem to last that long. Instead, i've been using DP tire shine gel and it seems to last the longest and has the perfect sheen for them. Too bad that the longest it lasts is about a month on the trim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D_Nyholm View Post
    Great review. I'm interested in seeing how long the Ultima lasts. My wife has a Mini Cooper S and the plastic wheel arches are a PAIN! I've used black wow and it didn't seem to last that long. Instead, i've been using DP tire shine gel and it seems to last the longest and has the perfect sheen for them. Too bad that the longest it lasts is about a month on the trim
    So far it's holding up pretty well. Hasn't faded much since application either. I need to wash it, hopefully tomorrow if it doesn't rain.

I'll hopefully get some updated pics in the next couple days.

Post Thanks / Like

Update:

Well it's been a few weeks since I applied the 4 different products. I don't have any pics as of right now. We have been getting rain for the past few days.

The UTTG is still holding up perfectly. The color hasn't faded any more and it beads like crazy in the rain. Definitely showing that it's well worth the money IMO.

The RaggTopp is just about completely gone and it's barely beading water.

The Poorboys has faded a lot but it's still beading water pretty well.

Black Wow has faded some but the oily spots are still dark, and the whole section is still beading water pretty well. This one is closest to the beading action of the UTTG, but UTTG still has the edge.

I'll get some pics as soon as I can to post.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D_Nyholm View Post
    Hmmm...sounds like a candidate for C4!

Post Thanks / Like

how does plastic look being coated with opt-coat?

i did a test piece with black wow on part of my bumper...i didnt find it hard to apply but it has faded a tad. but its been raining alot in nj the past week. a downpour last weeked clean the oil residue off. its beads like crazy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by richy View Post
    Hmmm...sounds like a candidate for C4!
    Yeah, im thinking that, but after buying opti coat, I may have to wait a little to get the C4!

Though I am thinking of putting some UTTG in my next order, it is looking promising!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SeaJay's View Post
    Update:

Well it's been a few weeks since I applied the 4 different products. I don't have any pics as of right now. We have been getting rain for the past few days.

The UTTG is still holding up perfectly. The color hasn't faded any more and it beads like crazy in the rain. Definitely showing that it's well worth the money IMO.

The RaggTopp is just about completely gone and it's barely beading water.

The Poorboys has faded a lot but it's still beading water pretty well.

Black Wow has faded some but the oily spots are still dark, and the whole section is still beading water pretty well. This one is closest to the beading action of the UTTG, but UTTG still has the edge.

I'll get some pics as soon as I can to post.
    Thanks for the updates Jason. I look forward to the pictures. Those wide open areas in your test will really show the difference well. Now is when the UTTG really starts to dominate the game.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think it says anywhere on UTTG page, but anyone have any idea if you can use UTTG on a vinyl tonneau. I've tried 303 and Tonneau Tonic. I haven't been too impressed with either and neither have lasted that long and they both run down the sides of my truck. Even if UTTG would run down the sides, it wouldn't bother me to use a little QD to clean it off if it lasted longer.

I hope no one feels that I am trying to hijack SeaJays thread, just got me curious about UTTG on a tonneau.

Thanks

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast