autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best Hands Down Trim Restorer Hands Down ?????

To control the shine you need to start with a very small amount on the sponge applicator. I use 2 pea size drops on 3" pad. Work it around to to get even coverage. Use a microfiber towel to reduce shine or add more product and rework to increase shine. You can always reduce by wiping with microfiber towel. Hope this helps.
    Crispy 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix DD, always clean (except today) Hobby Detailer

Post Thanks / Like

So my bumpers are pretty fadded, should I go stright to Ultima tire and trim guard or get a dye one first and then coat what with Ultima tire and trim guard?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzscarwash View Post
    So my bumpers are pretty fadded, should I go stright to Ultima tire and trim guard or get a dye one first and then coat what with Ultima tire and trim guard?
    Solution Finish first and top it if you wish. Remember prep is the most important step in getting the product to last.

Post Thanks / Like

Some here have recommended UTTG (Ultima Tire and Trim Guard) but remember to check the date of the post. Ultima recently changed UTTG to a water-based formula that has different characteristics. I'm experimenting with it now.

As for reclaiming faded vinyl, I agree with Rsurfer. Solution Finish does a good job. You do have to be careful and promptly remove any that gets on the paint because it doesn't remove easily in my experience. Consequently I find masking off the vinyl to be necessary. On curved surfaces, I use some electrical tape because it seals better than painter's tape and can be reused 2-3 times.

With regard to preserving the vinyl after treating with Solution Finish, I have had good luck with Optimum's Opti-Bond Tire Gel. Of course you can just reapply Solution Finish but the Optimum product is easier to apply and wipes off the paint easily. When applying one product over another, one can sometimes get a very unsatisfactory result if the two products interact with each other but because Solution finish is solvent-based and Optimum's product is water-based, I haven't had any problems. Just remember that this is just a guess on my part because I don't have a chemistry background.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Houckster View Post
    Solution finish is solvent-based and Optimum's product is water-based, I haven't had any problems. Just remember that this is just a guess on my part because I don't have a chemistry background.
    Dlux would be a better choice to top Solution Finish for a longer lasting protection.

Post Thanks / Like

My windshield trim area is completely faded and gray. Anyone have any leftover dye type products they may want to donate so I can test out results? I'll pay shipping.

Post Thanks / Like

Old thread...I know, but...

...I still have a big bottle of the old UTTG.

That said, and I didn't read the most recent threads closely, but Ultima's newest formula is water based the way I understand it. I wonder if Ultima revamping the formula had anything to do with tire manufacturers NOT warranting tires from premature cracking from using non-water based products on the tires? I had a tire tech tell me that they can tell. I don't really see how it's provable, but who knows. Good thing I had only used Opti-bond on my tires that Michelin is replacing for me.

Makes me wonder if it's even safe to use now on my tires.
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

WETS

(Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant)

Period.

9. Likes JALVIN liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I use TW Endura-Shine trim coating and with 2 coats I got a solid 8 months out of it. Trim looked like new, I was truly blown away about how much better my FX looked with it coated. I previously used Megs and only got a few weeks at best.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Dlux would be a better choice to top Solution Finish for a longer lasting protection.
    Have you tried this yet? Did the solvents in the DLUX pull any of the black carbon from the Solution Finish back out of the trim? The combo does seem like a very potent 1-2 punch to restore trim and then keep it that way.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast