autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum Autogeek on TV
car wax, car care and auto detailing forumAutogeekonline autogeekonline car wax, car care and auto detailing forum HomeForumBlogAutogeek.net StoreDetailing Classes with Mike PhillipsGalleryDetailing How To's

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Uv test (11 different products)

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffnopus View Post
    Corey, cut it out! That background dripping water sound made me have to go to the bathroom.

Cliff
    Cliff, you took the words right out of my mouth!!

Corey,

Nice line up for the test.

I'm curious to see and hear your conclusion at the end of the test and if I were to pick a winner today I suspect it would be between.

• Ultima Interior Guard Plus
    • 1Z Cockpit Premium

BobbyG - 2004 Millennium Yellow Z06 Corvette

Post Thanks / Like

2 Month Update

Sorry guys, its hard to make out the names in the pictures. I will put white labels on them and write the names again for the next batch of pictures.

Well, looks like so far the darkest is DG531. 1Z, 303AP, UIGP, and Leather Masters still look dark as well. Basically everything still looks similar to when it was applied.

Note: This doesn't necessarily mean they have protected the vinyl underneath. Only that what was "left behind" still is.

1Z COCKPIT PREMIUM

SONAX DASHBOARD

1Z LEATHER CARE

LEATHER MASTERS PROTECTION CREAM

WOLFGANG LEATHER CONDITIONER

ULTIMA INTERIOR GUARD PLUS

303 AEROSPACE PROTECTANT

OPTIMUM OPTI CLEAN & ULTIMA WATERLESS WASH PLUS

1Z GUMMI ON LEFT DG 531 ON RIGHT

:dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Corey,

Very cool update! It definately looks like some patches are darker than others from your photos. Since it sounded like the vinyl did get some "weather" from being left outside on occasion, do you feel that the dressings are intact on the surface?

When do you plan to remove the dressings to see if the dressing is darkening the vinyl?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt_s View Post
    Corey,

Very cool update! It definately looks like some patches are darker than others from your photos. Since it sounded like the vinyl did get some "weather" from being left outside on occasion, do you feel that the dressings are intact on the surface?

When do you plan to remove the dressings to see if the dressing is darkening the vinyl?

They have never gotten any weather (rain, sleet, or snow, or moisture of any kind).
    I plan to remove the dressings after about 4-6 more months at the least.

The follow up test will focus on about 4 products best suited to this type of test which will be re-applied every 2-3 months for an indefinite amount of time.
    Hint: 2012 may stop my test before I do
    :dancebanana:

Sky's the Limit Car Care

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CEE DOG View Post
    They have never gotten any weather (rain, sleet, or snow, or moisture of any kind).
    I plan to remove the dressings after about 4-6 more months at the least.

The follow up test will focus on about 4 products best suited to this type of test which will be re-applied every 2-3 months for an indefinite amount of time.
    Hint: 2012 may stop my test before I do
    So the dressings should be intact. Cool.

4-6 months? I guess that patience is a virtue. Did any of the dressings darken the vinyl more than another?

Supposedly, you have until Dec 2012 before the Mayan calendar ends.

Post Thanks / Like

Just saw this thread - Corey, would have any further updates on this? Almost six months since you started the test, I expect there'd be some noticeable differences in the look of the vinyl by now Particularly interested in this, as the sun here in Manila can get rather intense, and I'm looking to get a better protectant than the one I'm currently using.

Post Thanks / Like

i dont necessarily think this conclusively says one has better UV protection than another... some products might break down faster, some products might actually dry material as it breaks down, some products might help feed the material. This is a good performance test... but not necessarily UV test. To test UV protection youd have to actually get UV ratings.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by umi000 View Post
    Just saw this thread - Corey, would have any further updates on this? Almost six months since you started the test, I expect there'd be some noticeable differences in the look of the vinyl by now Particularly interested in this, as the sun here in Manila can get rather intense, and I'm looking to get a better protectant than the one I'm currently using.
    I'll get you an update soon. Their really hasn't been a noticeable change but I'll take another look and get back to you

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Uv test (11 different products) Ultima Waterless UV?

Thank you Corey for keeping this test alive. I read this months ago but forgot you included Ultima Waterless Wash Plus (UWWP) & UWWP Concentrate in the test even though it is not technically an interior product.

A recent experience of mine leads me to strongly doubt that UWWP concentrate lives up to its claims of UV protection when applied to surfaces.

“Just 1/2 oz. makes 22 oz. of Ready-to-Use Spray Wash and just 1 oz. makes 3 gallons of No Rinse Car Wash Solution. Either way, Ultima Waterless Wash Plus+ will not only meet your expectations, it will exceed them in both cleaning ability and gloss enhancement! Ultima Waterless Wash Plus+ quickly and safely cleans painted surfaces, chrome, plastic, glass and wheels without the use of water. No hoses! No rinsing! No drying! This Boosted by Polycharger™ formula not only cleans your vehicle’s surfaces, it protects from the harsh elements and harmful UV rays.”

Three weeks ago I mixed two 32 ounce spray bottles with ~31 ounces of distilled water and 0.75 ounces of Ultima Waterless Wash Plus Concentrate. One of the bottles follows me around in the trunk of daily driver, the other was left outside on the south side of my garage for convenience. The picture shows how much the UWWP mixture exposed to the sunlight over the past three weeks faded in relation to the bottle in the trunk.

Both of the spray bottles are thin, cheap translucent polyethylene (PETE). Polyethylene absorbs UV and is broken down readily, but I have no idea what amount of UV was blocked from the interior liquid. My daily driver is not garage kept, so the two bottle of UWWP experienced similar (but not identical) changes in temperature.

I am making many assumptions here of course, but this is what I think has occurred: UWWP concentrate contains a UV absorbent. This absorbent acts to protect the chemical dye (could be a pigment, but it seems to be dissolved and stable) that gives UWWP its distinctive creamy bright green color. After a few weeks in a container that didn’t block all the UV radiation present (we have had lots of rainy and cloudy days too), the diluted (40:1) UV protectant was destroyed and UV radiation consequently altered or destroyed the green dye causing the change in color to a milky white.

I am assuming this is the same UV protectant that is supposed to protect my paint when in the form of an ultra-thin film remaining on the car’s finish. It seems reasonable to assume that the change in color is due to a reaction with UV light and that the green dye is acting as an indicator of UV exposure throughout the liquid.

Nearly all (perhaps >99&#37 of the waterless wash applied to a vehicle is going to be removed from that vehicle, not remain on the paint in a cured state. How can the <1% remaining really offer UV protection if an entire bottle of the mixture does not appear to be UV stable for more than three weeks?

I would not suggest that this is representative of the UV protection performance of other types of products; after all, this is car wash / detailing concentrate, not a sealant or wax. However, the fact that Premium Finish Care would make a UV claim on this product is a little disappointing to me (unless my assumptions are way off base).

[This is another reason I would really like to conduct some real UV testing of actual products, not testing how substrates degrade but testing the ability of the products coating/film/residue to actually block (reflect and/or absorb) UV. As far as I am aware, nobody is claiming their product reflects UV wavelengths, so it seems reasonable to focus on absorbance.]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Uv test (11 different products)-ultima-waterless-3-weeks-jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Hi - wondered if there was an update? Curious, any one of these a miracle UV product?

(forgive me if the results are in another thread somewhere, I searched but could not find it)

Thanks!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast